Windows from HDD to SSD

Shubunkus

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
So, I am receiving the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB in a few days and I was wondering what is the most fast, easy, and efficient way to transfer my OS (Windows 7 64-bit) from my HDD (Western Digital Black) to the SSD. Would I just install windows on the SSD and delete it of the Hard Drive or what? Thanks for the help in advance.

Solution
I have done this several times - the first time I did a transfer with the DVD provided by the drive. Performance wasn't 100%, and eventually I removed the hard drives and reinstalled Windows 7 on the computer with only the SSD installed. Performance increased dramatically.

After the installation and updates, I placed the two drives back in and made sure to boot from the SSD. I copied files from one drive to the second, formatted the first, and moved all data to the first drive, and then formatted the 2nd drive. Then I setup my regular backup routine.

My initial setup was one OS/Data drive and one backup drive.

On my wife's PC, I backed up her data, removed the HDD, installed the SSD & installed Windows, then added the drive...
I have done this several times - the first time I did a transfer with the DVD provided by the drive. Performance wasn't 100%, and eventually I removed the hard drives and reinstalled Windows 7 on the computer with only the SSD installed. Performance increased dramatically.

After the installation and updates, I placed the two drives back in and made sure to boot from the SSD. I copied files from one drive to the second, formatted the first, and moved all data to the first drive, and then formatted the 2nd drive. Then I setup my regular backup routine.

My initial setup was one OS/Data drive and one backup drive.

On my wife's PC, I backed up her data, removed the HDD, installed the SSD & installed Windows, then added the drive, formatted and restored her files. Top performance from the beginning.

The "transfer" method with their migration software is good, but you won't be at 100% efficiency without installing Windows on the SSD when only the SSD is present.

Solution

Shubunkus

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

So let me get this straight so I don't screw anything up:

1. Make a full back-up of my current Hard Drive to my back-up Drive.

2. Remove the Hard Drive from the computer and insert the SSD.

3. Install Windows onto the SSD

4. Insert the Hard Drive back into the computer.

5. Format the Hard Drive (actively erasing all the files on it which are on the backup)

6. Transfer files from backup drive to HDD.

If this is correct, let me know. Thanks!

Shubunkus

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what does this mean, exactly?

When I installed my 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro, I used the Samsung "Data Migration" software and it worked like a charm! The only problem that I had was that initially, I tried using the program as supplied on the CD that came with the drive. After updating to the latest version from Samsung's website, it was all downhill. Highly recommended!

Here are some recent performance figures, with and without Rapid Mode:

RapidComparo.jpg

Yogi

The Windows installation on your "old" hard drive has hidden partitions - disk manager will show you all of them on the physical disk - you simply right click, and choose "delete volume". Two volumes should be present - "System Reserved" and "C:" on that disk. You can just format the C:\ and not use the 100MB (not very large as compared to total drive space), but it can lead to issues....