Question Windows infinite loading or completely freezing if it makes it past the loading screen

Dec 17, 2022
Hi, for about a week now, I've been having huge issues with Windows, but they haven't been to the point of where my PC is basically unusable until today. Every time I try to boot my PC, there's the possibility of it doing two things. The first being that it gets stuck infinitely loading trying to boot into windows, but makes it past BIOS and the second being that it actually boots into windows, but after about 5 minutes to an hour, the entire OS will completely freeze and if I try to restart it, it will get stuck in an infinite loop. One thing that I've noticed is that when my PC does boot into windows, every 5-10 seconds, the entire system will stutter, especially while playing games. I've checked my CPU and GPU temperatures and there's nothing alarming about them, they will reach high 60s to low 70s under serious load, but nothing past that. PC can boot into BIOS just fine with no issues, but only has issues when trying to boot into Windows. There is also the off chance that it blue screens with the error code of Driver Power State Failure. I'm in the process of installing a fresh copy of Windows to see if that will fix anything, but could this be an issue caused by my PC's hardware? I built my PC just over 3 years ago, but my specs aren't too outdated as they can keep up in modern games. My specs are: Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS ROG X570-E Gaming Motherboard, ASUS 2070 Super 8GB OC, 32GB of Rip Jaws V 3600 RAM, 500GB Samsung 960EVO SSD, and a 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD.

I've tried:
  • Resetting the PC twice (freezes during reset and after a while will come back, but PC isn't reset and is back to how it was before)
  • Updating drivers
  • Testing ram sticks separately
  • And most solutions that websites online provide

Is there anything else that I can try before going out and buying new parts?

shengton

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Hi, for about a week now, I've been having huge issues with Windows, but they haven't been to the point of where my PC is basically unusable until today. Every time I try to boot my PC, there's the possibility of it doing two things. The first being that it gets stuck infinitely loading trying to boot into windows, but makes it past BIOS and the second being that it actually boots into windows, but after about 5 minutes to an hour, the entire OS will completely freeze and if I try to restart it, it will get stuck in an infinite loop. One thing that I've noticed is that when my PC does boot into windows, every 5-10 seconds, the entire system will stutter, especially while playing games. I've checked my CPU and GPU temperatures and there's nothing alarming about them, they will reach high 60s to low 70s under serious load, but nothing past that. PC can boot into BIOS just fine with no issues, but only has issues when trying to boot into Windows. There is also the off chance that it blue screens with the error code of Driver Power State Failure. I'm in the process of installing a fresh copy of Windows to see if that will fix anything, but could this be an issue caused by my PC's hardware? I built my PC just over 3 years ago, but my specs aren't too outdated as they can keep up in modern games. My specs are: Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS ROG X570-E Gaming Motherboard, ASUS 2070 Super 8GB OC, 32GB of Rip Jaws V 3600 RAM, 500GB Samsung 960EVO SSD, and a 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD.

I've tried:
  • Resetting the PC twice (freezes during reset and after a while will come back, but PC isn't reset and is back to how it was before)
  • Updating drivers
  • Testing ram sticks separately
  • And most solutions that websites online provide
Is there anything else that I can try before going out and buying new parts?
There are a few things you can try before replacing any hardware:
  1. Check for any loose cables or connections inside the PC. Make sure that everything is securely plugged in and seated properly.
  2. Run a memory test to check for any issues with your RAM. You can use a tool like Memtest86 to do this.
  3. Check for any updates for your motherboard's BIOS. Sometimes updating the BIOS can resolve issues like this.
  4. Check for any malware or viruses that could be causing problems on your system. Use a reputable antivirus program to scan your system and remove any malware that it finds.
  5. Check for any software conflicts that could be causing problems. Try booting in Safe Mode and see if the issues persist. If they don't, it could be a problem with a specific program or service that is starting up with Windows.
  6. If none of these steps help, it's possible that you may have a hardware issue. In this case, you may want to try replacing the components one by one to see if that resolves the issue. Start with the most likely suspects, such as the hard drive and RAM, and work your way down the list until you find the cause of the problem.
It's also worth noting that if you recently installed any new hardware or software, that could potentially be the cause of the issue. In this case, you may want to try removing the new hardware or software to see if that resolves the problem.

Reactions: ryan2900
Dec 17, 2022
There are a few things you can try before replacing any hardware:
  1. Check for any loose cables or connections inside the PC. Make sure that everything is securely plugged in and seated properly.
  2. Run a memory test to check for any issues with your RAM. You can use a tool like Memtest86 to do this.
  3. Check for any updates for your motherboard's BIOS. Sometimes updating the BIOS can resolve issues like this.
  4. Check for any malware or viruses that could be causing problems on your system. Use a reputable antivirus program to scan your system and remove any malware that it finds.
  5. Check for any software conflicts that could be causing problems. Try booting in Safe Mode and see if the issues persist. If they don't, it could be a problem with a specific program or service that is starting up with Windows.
  6. If none of these steps help, it's possible that you may have a hardware issue. In this case, you may want to try replacing the components one by one to see if that resolves the issue. Start with the most likely suspects, such as the hard drive and RAM, and work your way down the list until you find the cause of the problem.
It's also worth noting that if you recently installed any new hardware or software, that could potentially be the cause of the issue. In this case, you may want to try removing the new hardware or software to see if that resolves the problem.

Thank you for your help and quick response, I'm going to try these out now and I'll update you if anything changes.