News Windows Insider Build Lets You Repair System with Windows Update

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
Microsoft has probably had so many irate corporate customers who have needed to reinstall everything because of constant Windows crashes that Microsoft decided to try and fix some of the basic Windows problems via a repair module.

Co BIY

Splendid
This seems decades late.

I understand that I have no understanding about the complexities and dependencies of an OS install. But how hard is it for the OS to check the current files against the "known good" install files and replace ones with corruptions ?

if it something that needs nuking in my book its because i can't even boot up to get there. A lot of times mixing DISM and SFCSCAN or tossing in the latest ISO and doing an inplace reinstall usually fix all my issues that i come across.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Windows 11 is so buggy. I've done a fresh install of windows 11 in my main rig 6 months ago and recently Microsoft photo viewer won't open anymore and I have no way to fix it. Maybe this "Repair System" can fix this issue.

Apr 1, 2020
Now what's the difference between this, and the introduced-in-Windows-10 feature of "Repair My PC" and selecting the option to download the most recent, up to date source instead of using local media or original installation media?

lemongrassgarlic

Honorable
Mar 9, 2018
Windows 11 is so buggy. I've done a fresh install of windows 11 in my main rig 6 months ago and recently Microsoft photo viewer won't open anymore and I have no way to fix it. Maybe this "Repair System" can fix this issue.
Apps > installed apps > photos >> reset or repair button ?
or try to install it again via MS store ?

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
This seems decades late.

I understand that I have no understanding about the complexities and dependencies of an OS install. But how hard is it for the OS to check the current files against the "known good" install files and replace ones with corruptions ?
That depends on how much they change and don't document, and how they go about things, and Microsoft's way is really bad.

Apple for example has had this for A LONG LONG TIME, where you can use both the repair partition to "fix" the install, and if that does not work, you can download an image from their servers and repair the install, leaving your software installed.

Both have saved my behind a lot, though I still back up everything just in case.

outsider2k21

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Ya right.. What if windows update is broken? I haven't be able to update my windows 11 due to 0x80070003 error and have tried every possible fix on M$ forum.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well, well. A good feature!
Simpler than reinstall, when it works. Waiting to see results.
Most times when I have had problems with any windows have been sneaky hardware related.

First time it was CPU that was not properly installed. Everything worked fine, but after few hours… corrupted system.
Ones it was m2 ssd that was working fine for intall and maybe couple of ours and after that did corrupt the system. And the last one was CPU that worked like a charm with 2 memory sticks. When I did add two more sticks… few days later corrupted system. Take extra memory chips of… everything works fine. Changed the second pair of memory chips. Everything worked fine. With all 4… system corrution. I did update the CPU many years later and did add the second pair of memory and vola. Everything worked fine. Has been workin ower a year without any problems…
So hardware problems has been 99% of any windows system file corruption. Sigh… This does not prevent those situation, but can help sometimes. But to the readers… it is not allways the windows fault, it most likely is your hardware that works just fine in most tests and seems to be just fine… while it is not.

Jul 15, 2023
This has already been possible for years via in-place upgrades.

In-place upgrades can already be run without a USB drive or the need to reinstall any apps. The only difference is that this update allows the in-place upgrade to be performed directly from the settings app.

Reactions: randyh121

darinweslak

Honorable
Dec 22, 2017
Apps > installed apps > photos >> reset or repair button ?
or try to install it again via MS store ?
Try PowerShell:

get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | Remove-appxpackage
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.Photos | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

pbug56

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
If it worked, it would be the first good reason to downgrade from Win 10. I could have used it recently on a warranty replacement laptop that came with the NT Kernel pre corrupted - every month, on Windows Update Tuesday night, even if you had deferred updates, it would find one to do anyway, reboot, and during shutdown some driver would be too slow to shut down, causing a BSOD that the vendor claimed was the Kernel - and required reinstalling Windoze (11, AKA the new 8).

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Am I the only one that wonders..."well what if the user files are WHY the system needs repaired?"

Then we can call it the bug loop, another "bad feature in Windows (insert version)" "It's not MY fault".

Nuke and pave is the way forward boys. /Warhammer

pbug56

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
Am I the only one that wonders..."well what if the user files are WHY the system needs repaired?"

Then we can call it the bug loop, another "bad feature in Windows (insert version)" "It's not MY fault".

Nuke and pave is the way forward boys. /Warhammer
First, Windoze is loaded with bugs. Also, most people can't find a viable way to do a full backup and restore of files, let alone figure out how to reinstall all of their apps. Assuming they can even find installers. And the problems we had with Windoze 11, AKA The New 8, came with a brand new PC direct from the manufacturer. Later, after reinstalling Windoze, the vendor listed several critical updates, including a vendor specific version of an Nvidia driver, which was supposedly fairly new. It wasn't, and it was known to be very buggy - bad enough to cause a TDR BSOD.

So, user files MAY cause problems, any bad or infected app or file can. But bad drivers and buggy Windoze is a huge problem. And reinstalling Windoze doesn't always fix problems - it can cause new ones, especially if needed drivers are no longer available.