Windows Insider Program Hits One Million Testers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Agreed. Windows 8/8.1 is great. I loved 7 but 8/8.1 destroys it in every way. Its a smaller install, it boots faster. It rock stable (only 2 crashes from tech preview up til today) it has stuff I like such a native ISO mounting, it saves alot of my settings and even some drivers when I do fresh installs, uses less resources (not a problem for my rig, but still) etc. I didn't love the interface, but it wasnt enough of a hassle to give up all those extra benefits. I can't wait for 10 to come out.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i welcome the start menu back. i loved everything about windows 8 except the metro interface. and i see they are hearing complaints that the charm bar is not accessible. i personally hate it and never use it. i hope they have an option to turn it off altogether.

jase240

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
I am one of those testers also.

I can also say that Windows 10, despite having some initial performance issues on my VM setup, is a good preview release.

So far it feels more like Windows 7 with a Windows 8.1 theme to it. I like that now all store applications launch in windowed mode instead of fullscreen, bringing back that "Windows" signature. Still waiting on a stable release before performing any more intensive tests, including gaming.

But so far I believe that it will be my next OS of choice, I am looking forward to DX12 and games that will support it. As well as lower driver overhead and better SSD compatibility.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

I've gamed on it. It brought over my GTX 770 drivers automatically. I played FFXIV on it all day (well over 12 hours straight) and it had no issues.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
They should implement a "nostalgia" mode where everything reverts back to the way it looked in windows 98, complete with BSOD's every few hours or whenever you try to do something important. That'll keep those nostalgic people happy while allowing the rest of the world to move on to better things. Then you can add $4.99 add-on themes that work to change the look to XP, Vista, and then 7 too, giving customers what they want while encouraging others to switch for the improved security and performance while allowing them to keep the outdated-erm excuse me, *nostalgic* looks they don't want to part with. Everyone's doing it, even Nintendo has introduced themes for their 3DS home screen!

MICROSOFT ARE YOU LISTENING?! You could make tons of money by selling your "classic" look and getting those unhappy XP/Vista/8 customers to switch!

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I like the Win 10 technical preview. It's fast and smooth like win 8 but easy to use on a desktop like win 7.

I would personally like easyer access to the Control Panel (the proper one, tot that shitty settings panel), and the "This PC" icon pinned to the Start Menu by default.

mercurial_8880

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
I have also tested it on a VM, i was quite surprised on how well it worked on the VM. It has been the best OS I've tested on a VM, very fluid and fast. I personally found Windows 8/8.1 quite good performance wise, just the start things gets little getting used to other then that, the system becomes quite responsive.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I installed 10 on virtualbox just to see how they changed it, not too interested in using it right now, but it's nice to let my customers know how windows will be improving the next time they need a machine.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I've liked Windows 10 so far. Couple annoying caveats however.

My little netbook with a resolution of 1024x600, I can't use a single app because it demands that I change my resolution to at least 1024x768. Well Microsoft that's the highest resolution I get on this thing. Make your crap work with any resolution. We should be past this, learn to stretch your programs on the fly.

I would much rather see the Live Tiles as widgets on the desktop rather than clogging up my Start menu.

I can't remove some Taskbar icons notably Search and Task View. I thought we would have gotten the point across that we like to have control over our OS. Although it seems to be a top 5 complaint amongst testers. So I'm sure it'll be tweaked as it is a Preview.

Don't hide local accounts setup when configuring Windows 10 for the first time. They did this crap with Windows 8. Creating a "cloud" account does nothing but restrict the end user. I remember that I had to take ownership of my entire C: drive because apparently I didn't have permission to modify anything on the drive with a cloud account.

Get rid of the "PC Settings". Control Panel works just fine and in fact works better as more and more software vendors start to integrate some of their configuration programs in the Control Panel. Samsung printers and Java are two that come to mind.

Other than those few things and some others I won't mention since they are already addressed, I've liked the OS so far. And it runs surprisingly well on my Atom N450 with 2GB of RAM.

bipbap

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
"I would much rather see the Live Tiles as widgets on the desktop rather than clogging up my Start menu."

Absolutely! I didn't like it when they gave up on widgets before and it makes much more sense on the desktop then the start menu.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
All I want from Windows 10 is the new features added while also keeping how the Metro Start Screen and Search worked in it.

Now, with or without the new Desktop Start menu, I can no longer use Start+S to search for something.

USAFRet

Titan

It's gotten easier.
Hit the Windows key, start typing what you're looking for.

Different, yes. Easier, also yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.