[SOLVED] Windows Install fails

Oct 9, 2020
I have a new PC build.
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Carbon Pro
SSD: Samsung EVO 500gb M.2
RAM: 2x G. Skills 16GB ddr4
CPU: i7 9700k
PSU: Rosewill 630w

I cannot get windows to install correctly.
It goes thru the install process but then when it restarts it freezes during that spinning white dots screen. I bought a brand new thumb drive and then downloaded the latest version of windows 10 using the media creation tool.

I have been able to get windows to install twice using a very old version but then none of my motherboard drivers will install.
I tried swapping out hard drives moving the RAM around or pulling them out alternately. I bought a brand new motherboard since I suspected that may have been the board. Same story. Old version of windows installs but drivers fail to install. New version of windows causes the board to freeze at spinning dots loading screen.

It doesn’t seem to matter what I do the problem of freezing at the spinning dots screen persists.
I’ve thought replacing the PSU next. What does the community think?

Solution
YAY!!!! I got it to work. I hope I'm not celebrating too soon.
Just for S's and G's I thought I'd try downloading windows and as an ISO instead of using the Win 10 Media Creation Tool to create a bootable installer of Windows on my USB.
I then mounted the ISO to my USB drive using RUFUS.exe.

The install went perfectly after that no freezing at all. I am installing all my fave software from ninite and getting windows updates at the moment.
If the restart goes okay then I'll install my GPU. If that works out then I think we can mark this one as solved.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did 1909 work?

IS ram on motherboard compatibility listing? maybe test ram with memtest as often if you get errors at very start of the install, its ram related as the install doesn't even touch the storage drives until you copy it on half way through process and it restarts.

Oct 9, 2020
1909 did not work. big sigh
I don’t have any other RAM to swap the current sticks out with, but I’ll try that next.
I used the PC parts picker website to verify if my RAM was compatible with my MoBo, and it said it was. This is my first build so I don’t know if there was a better source to check before purchasing it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its not so bad with Intel but with Ryzen it generally helps to look on the motherboard compatibility listing and see what ram will work with the CPU. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#support-cpu

you have a new motherboard and same problem, so it wasn't motherboard.
so has to be something you haven't replaced.
I doubt its caused by PSU
its not the installer. And its not the versions of windows either. Could run a live ubuntu usb on it and see if it has any problems. If 2 OS have issues, its not windows.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

so is that 2 x 16gb or 2 16gb sets (there is a difference, 2nd is actually 2 x 8gb sticks)? maybe try with 1 16gb stick?

Oct 9, 2020
Its not so bad with Intel but with Ryzen it generally helps to look on the motherboard compatibility listing and see what ram will work with the CPU. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#support-cpu

you have a new motherboard and same problem, so it wasn't motherboard.
so has to be something you haven't replaced.
I doubt its caused by PSU
its not the installer. And its not the versions of windows either. Could run a live ubuntu usb on it and see if it has any problems. If 2 OS have issues, its not windows.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

so is that 2 x 16gb or 2 16gb sets (there is a difference, 2nd is actually 2 x 8gb sticks)? maybe try with 1 16gb stick?
To answer your last question my ram is 2x16.
My RAM's exact model number is F4-2800C14D-32GTZ.
Here's the amazon link that I purchased them from --> https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-TridentZ-PC4-22400-Platform-F4-2800C14D-32GTZ/dp/B0171GQP6S
I didn't find their specific model number on the link to MSI's supported hardware you gave me.

Those memtests take forever! haha. So, the results are all good I guess. There were zero errors on each stick. I did test each module in turn. But like I said above I didn't find my RAM on the supported hardware page. Should I return them anyway and buy something from that list? If so, what would you suggest. I spent about $200 on these modules. I would like to have something in the 16-32 GB range.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Oct 9, 2020
Thanks I started a return and will go with the RAM you suggested. Once I receive the new RAM I will let you know the results.

btw I tried using a version of Hiren’s boot cd (live usb) that I had. That boot failed. The on screen error said that the “AutoIt v3 PinTool.exe“ had a system exemption. Then gave this 0x000??? number which didn’t come up any google search results.

I then created a live usb version of Kali Linux. It booted with no issues and I could even surf the web, once I changed to the correct system time.

I don’t know if that means anything, but whatever, I’m going to get the proper RAM regardless.

Oct 11, 2020
btw I tried using a version of Hiren’s boot cd (live usb) that I had. That boot failed. The on screen error said that the “AutoIt v3 PinTool.exe“ had a system exemption. Then gave this 0x000??? number which didn’t come up any google search results.
You are not the only one,as far as I know, many people have similar failures.

Oct 9, 2020
This post is more to keep the thread active than anything else.
The new RAM I ordered should be here by then end of this week. I'll get 'em installed and then supply an update.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You are not the only one,as far as I know, many people have similar failures.
How many of them have wrong ram. Intel systems make it easy, almost any ram will work with them but Ryzen systems are more picky and normally it helps to use ram that was tested on the motherboards to work with the CPU. Some of the more common stick models are likely to be tested with all boards but it helps to check.

Oct 9, 2020
I wish I knew what I was failing at. The same problem happened again, even after putting in the MSI recommended RAM.

I install windows from a newly created last night Win10 installation USB. Once the installation is finished and it does it’s first reboot I pull the usb out to prevent it from trying to load from it again. Windows will go through its, “Getting Ready 0%-100%”just fine. Then my PC will reboot again. The MSI logo will next appear with the spinning dots below it. After about 4-5 revolutions it will freeze up.

A Linux live usb boots fine. The things I haven’t tried replacing yet are the CPU (which I can’t afford right now) and the PSU.

Thoughts?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would doubt this is problem but your motherboard has boot override. You don't need to pull USB out at first reboot.

put USB in at start-up
GO into bios and make sure nvme you want to install win 10 on is top of line (if it uses windows boot manager, have that as top choice) in boot order
go to save & exit screen
pick Boot override
pick the USB from listing
PC will boot from it once and next start-up after that ignore USB and use ssd as it should.

So its a new Motherboard, new ram, no GPU. I guess it could be the CPU but it takes its time to fail, I would have expected a CPU based error to happen way before you got that far into install. its like a device is failing... maybe its a peripheral?

I would suggest running Intel processor diagnostic tool in linux but it doesn't exist.

you can however run Prime 95
Prime 95 bootable - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

Prime 95 Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

Oct 9, 2020
I couldn't get the bootable USB version to work. Once I get into the mprime program my keyboard would quit working. And that was even before I could get the test started. There was some error that mentioned that the program couldn't recognize the attached USB devices.

I then installed the latest version of Ubuntu and got mprime downloaded and installed. It's been running pretty stably for a few minutes now. The guide you linked to said to let this run for 6 hours minimum. So, I'll give an update tomorrow.

Oct 9, 2020
Well here are the results from almost 23 hours.
[Worker #1 Oct 26 18:41] Torture Test completed 695 tests in 22 hours, 44 minutes - 0 errors, 0 warnings.

I'd be proud of my girl but she still wont install Windows. FML. First World Problems am I right?!?!

Any other ideas?

Oct 9, 2020
So its a new Motherboard, new ram, no GPU. I guess it could be the CPU but it takes its time to fail, I would have expected a CPU based error to happen way before you got that far into install. its like a device is failing... maybe its a peripheral?

Could you explain what you mean by a "peripheral"? Like the monitor or the keyboard or something like that?

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
ok what clocks are you running on your system cpu @stock? Ram with out xmp turned on yet and let it run at its base clock, this might be crazy but try resetting your cmos see if it makes any differece there should be a cmos trip prongs on your motherboard or you can take out the battery a few seconds and put it back in ,, I mean im just throwing an idea there Ive no idea if that is the issue also ,,, maybe check an put your install on a different flash drive,, could the nand on the flash drive currupting a file

Oct 9, 2020
YAY!!!! I got it to work. I hope I'm not celebrating too soon.
Just for S's and G's I thought I'd try downloading windows and as an ISO instead of using the Win 10 Media Creation Tool to create a bootable installer of Windows on my USB.
I then mounted the ISO to my USB drive using RUFUS.exe.

The install went perfectly after that no freezing at all. I am installing all my fave software from ninite and getting windows updates at the moment.
If the restart goes okay then I'll install my GPU. If that works out then I think we can mark this one as solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colif
Solution
Oct 9, 2020
It's working great now! Got steam installed and Skyrim is looking so smooth!
That was one of the craziest and most frustrating problems to work on. Kinda expensive too. New MoBo and RAM.... Yikes!