Windows is reporting 100mbps max on my Gigabit Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryzenlover2017

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
When looking at my ethernet on windows networking control panel, it reports a max speed of 100mbps. My motherboard claims to support up to support up to 1Gb speeds, 10x what windows is reporting. I am on a Realtek 1Gb ethernet port, integrated into my ASRock AB350m. I updated my drivers, so I'm sure that is not the issue.

Specs:
Asrock AB350m
8gb ddr4
AMD Ryzen 3 1300x
RX 570
500w PSU
1tb HDD
120gb ssd
Currently using a 50ft amazon basics cat 6 cable

ryzenlover2017

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
It has to be my PC causing it, when I plugged the Ethernet into my other laptop it said that it can hit a gigabit. My router apparently says it’ll go up to 100/10 mbps, that isn’t a gigabit. At this point, I probably should upgrade that.

kanewolf

Titan

Yep. Both ends of the cable have to support gigabit. What router do you currently have?
If you just want faster connections between wired computers, you could get a gigabit switch (rather than a new router). Put a single cable from the switch to the router for internet connectivity for all wired devices.

kanewolf

Titan

The one port connected to the router will be limited to 100Mbit. All the other ports will be able to be gigabit. As long as your WAN speed is less than 90Mbit, you won't have any degradation.

All these posts and we still don't know what ISP speed u paid for, that's not gonna change no matter what your NIC does.

But OK your Mobo is capable of 1 gig u say, then whatever it's connected to isn't. Both sides need to agree on the max conversation speed. Or u got a bad cable.

Not that simple.

If you have 4 LAN ports on the back of the modem, then yes, stick a gigabit switch here and BAM!

If modem has single LAN port then you have no choice but to upgrade the C50, u can't function without a WIFI router here. The new box should come with 4 LAN ports and all ports gigabit spec. If 4 ports not enough THEN u can add a gigabit switch here.

berenod

Honorable
May 6, 2014

Indeed, wasted money!

All 100 mbps netwerk hardware (such as your archer) at very best allows for a 90 mbps actual real life datarate, less then half what you pay for!

ryzenlover2017

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
I have good and bad news. Turns out our provider has been screwing us over and only giving us a 1/4 of our speed max (there’s a problem with our network) so I guess I have been taking full advantage?

kanewolf

Titan

Your ISP is responsible for providing your paid-for service to the outside of your house (or demarc point in an apartment). If it is a house, then you are responsible for the cable from the outside box to the modem. It may be that cabling that is limiting your performance. You can usually swap a temporary cable (over the floor, out a window, etc) to see if that improves your performance.

ryzenlover2017

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
I’m with charter spectrum. They are only one in the area with half way decentish speeds... our cable going to the modem COULD be the issue, but the saw something serious on their end so we will see. The customer service rep wasn’t really wanting to go into details...

Status
Not open for further replies.