Question windows lags and disk unallocated

krister.avall

Honorable
Apr 1, 2018
I have a 250gb ssd 1tb hdd and a 3tb hdd. the 3tb hdd now only shows 2tb on file explorer but on the disk management it shows that it's like 800gb unallocated. the bigger problem is that last night I was trying to drag some clips to my editing software and it didn't even drag so I restarted and apparently it said like windows couldn't fix itself and that's it I went safe mod everything and nothing happeneded
then I decided to set my windows media creator USB stick as the boot drive on bios and I installed the windows on my 3tb hdd and everything worked out and then the updates were like failing and blue screen with white spinning dots I just deleted everything on my ssd and downloaded win it that and then it started to make a thing where every time I start my pc I had to choose like win 10 on drive 6 or 2 and apparently 2 was the 1 with the blue screen and 6 was the ssd 1 and now it always says automatic repair sorry couldn't repair and I have to always go to some advanced settings and run windows from drive 6 I deleted all the windows folders from others than the drive 6 and now its saying drive 4 instead of 2 and I can't update my windows it just says restart to finnish updates but when I restart it just says automatic repair sorry couldn't fix and the same shit happens over and over again. please help me with the update problems and the unallocated 800gb, bc in many threads I've made the context is getting answered and not the real question

If you installed WIndows to the 3 TB drive, we can assume you had no data on it to recover....

If you have nothing to recover, you have nothing to lose by deleting everything within admin tools/computer mngmt/storage/disk mngmt and (making absolutely sure you select the correct drive, deleting the existing partition(s); when reallocating the space, to use over 2 TB, you need to select GPT vice MBR!)

Once drives start to fail, often they quickly become useless with more and more pending bad sectors pending in GsmartControl of CrystalDiskInfo, being little more than doorstops after a few more hours of use... If CrystalDiskInfo is showing yellow status, and/or it now will not even allow deletion/reformatting of space, you drive might be 'done for'...

(you might already be at that point, and, the 3 TB capacity drives in particular have some of the worst failure rates among a few manufacturers from a few years ago...)

popatim

Titan
I know some 3tb had high failure rates but I have 4 of them and all are still running fine after 5 yrs of daily use except for the Seagate (in a drive dock) my grandson knocked off the desk in the middle of a backup. 2 toshibas and 2 seagates.

Krister, when you install windows you should unplug all the internal drives except the one you want to install windows to (optical drives don't need to be unplugged either) otherwise Windows will write the boot files to some other drive. You also want the bios boot drive set to the drive you will be installing windows to. Save settings & exit. Upon reboot, with your usb drive plugged in now, use the f-key to select the boot drive and then select the usb flash drive you made. Which F-key it is depends on your motherboard. It is listed at the bottom of the screen at the same time as when it says "Press Del to enter Setup" (or whichever key it is for you). Sometimes it called Boot Override or Boot Select..