Question Windows loading time is abnormally long after login ?

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Hey guys, I am honestly stumped here after looking through different solutions and posts about others experiencing window's boot delay after logging in and none of them seem to be working for me. I have checked for loose cables, swapped out my SATA cables and the problem still persists. Also, for you information I have changed absolutely nothing besides installing a new PSU I bought in November. which was a Seasonic PRIME fanless TX-700 700W 80+ Titanium, and I reckon it may be the PSU because swapping out the SATA cables with the new/old ones didn't improve or do anything for my boot time. Although, I'd like a second opinion from you all because before buying the new Seasonic PSU I was using a Seasonic bronze PSU with a fan and all that which was operational and functional. for many years. I also checked boot priority and my SSD is still Priority 1 if anyone asks about that. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

If you need specs it's

CPU: Intel i5-8600k 3.6GHz
Motherboard: AORUS gaming 5
Ram: 16gb
SSD/HDD: Samsung EVO 860 1 Tb/ Seagate Hybrid 2 Tb
GPU: MSI 1660ti 6gb
PSU: Seasonic PRIME fanless TX-700
Chassis: not really sure what this part means

Colif

Win 11 Master
I doubt its the PSU.

Is it slow if you boot into safe mode?

often if pc is slow to boot after login it can mean a hardware device is slow to respond and windows has to wait until it times out before it can continue.
Any old parts attached? any parts that have always worked before? I have found replacing one part can be enough to make another part that was just hanging on to let go

I have had similar happen with a pair of speakers, they had always worked before... until they didn't.

the device doesn't necessarily have to have its own drivers. Can be any hardware. Try starting with bare minimum hardware attached.

chassis: this is the PC case and unlikely to be cause.

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
I doubt its the PSU.

Is it slow if you boot into safe mode?

often if pc is slow to boot after login it can mean a hardware device is slow to respond and windows has to wait until it times out before it can continue.
Any old parts attached? any parts that have always worked before? I have found replacing one part can be enough to make another part that was just hanging on to let go

I have had similar happen with a pair of speakers, they had always worked before... until they didn't.

the device doesn't necessarily have to have its own drivers. Can be any hardware. Try starting with bare minimum hardware attached.

chassis: this is the PC case and unlikely to be cause.

Hey Colif,

I haven't tried booting into safe mode yet, and here's just a quick bit of info I forgot to mention, the moment I hooked up all my cables into the new PSU it was running fine for atleast a couple weeks until recently where as I've stated atleast a 2 minute delay before I could see my screen after log in. If there was anything I changed I swapped out the motherboard cable with the new one that was with the PSU, the GPU cable, the fan controller cable, and the SATA cable (which I swapped the old one back to but still no improvements regardless) The old cables I still have around and I still have my old seasonic PSU too. Perhaps putting back the old cables should fix the problem? I have also contacted Seasonic too and they just told me they could send me new SATA cables. although they doubt that's the problem or I should just RMA the PSU, but since that's not really the problem then I'm pretty stumped.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
try safe mode, and see if it makes any difference.

since pc starts fine and only runs into issues once you get past logon, I don't believe its PSU. I don't know what it is either though.

could try running off ubuntu live USB and see if it picks up anything odd. = https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

So you get a blank screen until desktop?

you could do this - https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-dojo/monitor-windows-7-boot-logs-with-the-help-of-msconfig/

So I tried safe mode and the computer boots up fine without any delays whatsoever, I restart the computer normally and the delay is still there and I have no clue what could be causing this cause I have changed absolutely nothing besides a few cables. To answer the second part of your answer the PC runs fine after it gets through the whole blank screen after waiting like 2 minutes tops. So ya I get a blank screen after I log in with the "welcome" circle spiraling for about 1 minute then it loads into the desktop screen as a gray screen for 2 mins before loading everything normally. I'll try the ubuntu idea later as it will probably take some time to get it working, but otherwise I've tried following that link you sent about the logs and to be honest I'm not really sure what I'm lookin for log wise besides seeing what's loading and what isn't. Is there something in particular I should be looking for? Really appreciate the help thanks.

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
try safe mode, and see if it makes any difference.

since pc starts fine and only runs into issues once you get past logon, I don't believe its PSU. I don't know what it is either though.

could try running off ubuntu live USB and see if it picks up anything odd. = https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

So you get a blank screen until desktop?

you could do this - https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-dojo/monitor-windows-7-boot-logs-with-the-help-of-msconfig/

Whether or not this is relevant, but I just noticed that my desktop's small button next to the power button is flashing orange, which signifies something right, because I've never seen it flash orange before.