Windows Much Safer After Microsoft Killed Autorun

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Teramedia[/nom]I'm curious why Windows XP SP2 saw such a large infection rate reduction during the same time period comparisons, given that it was not changed. If we apply that change rate as a baseline to the other versions, then the decreases are not as great.[/citation]

Good point, but then again MSFT wants to pat themselves on the back as the ones that have descresed infection rates...

[citation][nom]triculious[/nom]unfortunately there are still millions of morons -erm- users out there who keep opening every other mail they get and every link they see, sorry but MS can't be held responsible for people being dumb[/citation]
Remember, there are two major industries in the world that refer to their customers as "users". One is the computer industry, and the other is the illegal drug trade. . . draw the line between the dots!

dgingeri

Distinguished
This is something IT people have known for a very long time. I knew people who hated Autorun back when it was introduced. They got me infected with that thinking right away, and to this day I disable Autorun on all devices for every Windows XP machine I build for family. I was actually disappointed I couldn't completely disable it on Vista or 7. I want it completely off, permanently.

whatisupthere

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
[citation][nom]triculious[/nom]unfortunately there are still millions of morons -erm- users out there who keep opening every other mail they get and every link they see, sorry but MS can't be held responsible for people being dumb[/citation]

Its unfair to call people uneducated about computers morons. Not everyone is a computer geek. For many people a computer is a tool not a hobby. Ideally they shouldn't need to be experts in securing their systems or dodging attacks.

spiketheaardvark

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Teramedia[/nom]I'm curious why Windows XP SP2 saw such a large infection rate reduction during the same time period comparisons, given that it was not changed. If we apply that change rate as a baseline to the other versions, then the decreases are not as great.[/citation]

In epidemiological terms it is mostly likely due to "herd immunity". With SP3 and vista machines now more resistant to this type of attack, there are fewer infected drives making it to vulnerable SP2 machines.

G

[citation][nom]starryman[/nom]Wait until there's AutoLinux. Then virus problems will really drop.[/citation]

Linux, now there is a bad infection for your computer. None of your software works, none of your games will playback, the UI is completely trashed, and you can't even watch Netflix.

whatisupthere

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Linux, now there is a bad infection for your computer. None of your software works, none of your games will playback, the UI is completely trashed, and you can't even watch Netflix.[/citation]
Yes, linux has limitations. Some of these are due to a small user base. Many others are due to external sources. This includes actions by companies like microsoft.
For what it does linux works great on many computers. I have seen many people put linux on very old computers and are surprised by how much better and faster the computers work.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Just to clearify, windows is not "safe" it's just now a bit "safer"...[/citation]

Nothing is safe.

Mac is open to attacks. everybody knows it. the uber small market share + their ignorant sheeps saved their sorry ass.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]If anyone knows of a plain text comprehensive list of all known start-when-the-computer-starts hooks that can kick off executable code, that would be great. Maybe even something that spans all the Windows versions.[/citation]
I haven't looked for a plain text list, but CCleaner has a "Startup" items list under the "Tools" section that shows all items under the places you listed (and the "Startup" folder in the Start Menu) and lets you disable or remove them in one nice interface.

Another place to check is the "Services" MMC panel (in Vista and 7 just type "Services" in the Start Menu search box). Check for anything you don't want that's set to "Automatic" or "Automatic (Delayed Start)." You can set items to "Manual" or completely disable them

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]whatisupthere[/nom]Its unfair to call people uneducated about computers morons. Not everyone is a computer geek. For many people a computer is a tool not a hobby. Ideally they shouldn't need to be experts in securing their systems or dodging attacks.[/citation]

most people use a computer evey day of their life, and its a major part of it. digital cameras, camcorder, video chatting and such...

to not learn the BASICS of a computer is retarded.

lets equate it to learning a car.

you tun car on = make sure everything is plugged in
you back up and drive = know were basic things on the computer are
you obey signs = you know what to do and not to do internet wise
you get pulled over because you dont listen = you get viruses

im not asking them to be able to run linux without a gui, im asking them to not be so g#@ damn dumb.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
why cant microsoft give us a way to make a complete backup?

like a usb thumb drive
we insatall all the programs that we want on a fresh install and all the updates and latest drivers, why cant we than get a 16-32gb flash drive, set it as a back up point, it saves all the driver data, all the update data, and a complete windows backup. that should fall in the 16-32gb range,

and when s@#$ hits the fan, run that, and it will basically disable all adware viruses and more. it would be SO simple for them to do this.

but the only thing close to it is attempting to reinstall windows on windows, and that fails to fix problems most the times i have done it.

YardstickWHACK

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]Teramedia[/nom]I'm curious why Windows XP SP2 saw such a large infection rate reduction during the same time period comparisons, given that it was not changed. If we apply that change rate as a baseline to the other versions, then the decreases are not as great.[/citation] When infections decrease on the computers with SP2 or later, others will get infected less, like those with SP2.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Where the hell are these "families" getting their autorun infections from ?? Pirated software, obviously ! Probably loaded with Daemon Tools or some shit.

Solution ? No pirated software, no autorun infections.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
This is not true autorun malware is only 2% of the infections the other 80% is internet explorer it contains a huge security hole allowing hackers/malware writers to install code on your pc they tried patching last week but now its out in the wild more than before.
10% is java script and the other 10% is java.
I spend most of my time at work removing fake av's/scareware all day long at my computer store.
People don't update there java/flash/adobe reader that leaves them open to infection 99% of all infections are from ad servers with bad ads most major companies have been hit such as google,microsoft and many others.

As to triculious comment most infections are not from mail but ad servers that popup full screen pages that look like programs clicking anywhere even on the X to close the program will install the scareware only safe way is to end the task on the browser.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004

Hopefully they'll move on to Macs to show the world how safe Macs are.

G

[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Hopefully they'll move on to Macs to show the world how safe Macs are.[/citation]

By that time Macs won't have any run option and be safer as you can only download stuff straight from Apple servers!

You still have problems with Autorun in XPSP3 unless you turn the freakin' thing off or use an antivirus package that disables Autorun. All of my customer's PC's (Saudi military) are virus laden.

It's the Autorun.INF file. If you open it up with a text editor and do not see recognizable text, it is carrying a virus package.

Status
Not open for further replies.