Windows not auto installing drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
hi guys,

my friend give me his Gateway 610XL all in one PC to fix a few problems. one of them was internet explorer not showing up when called for, that was an easy fix; however, this next problem has to do with USB devices and it's giving me a bit of trouble. basically, any USB devices i connect to it, windows doesn't auto install or even try to auto install the drivers. no matter what i connect to it (mouse, keyboard, thumb drive).

i can go into device manager and install the drivers manually just fine but i would like to fix the auto install feature for my friend cuz he's not that good with computers.

i checked and made sure the following services are enabled:

plug and play
upnp
user mode driver framework
shell hardware detection

the problem persist even in safe mode. one thing i noticed is when i go to control panel and then hit add hardware, i get a message that says this: "you can only install one device at a time. when the other device installation is complete, try this wizard again" (some where along those lines). i get that message even with nothing connected to the USB ports.

i'm guessing what ever this "other device" is, it hanging up pnp so how do i go about aborting that installation? i don't really see anything in the task bar that even suggest a driver installation is on the way.

this is running Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3 by that way.

Solution
Hmmm.... FactoryPreInstallinProgres is the other one that typically causes this issue, but is not seen in all installs.

Ok... this might seems stupid, but even when the computer is "Off", there is still power to the motherboard in computers now adays.

Turn off your computer, unplug the AC Power Cord from the back of the power supply. Wait 5 minutes and plug it back in. Power on and test your USB.

This will ensure that the USB Controller really resets.

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks very much for the replies, here's how it went:

i checked that key and found it already set to 0. however i did find "SystemAuitinProgress" and "FactoryPreInstallinProgres" set to 1. changing those to 0 didn't change anything though.

when i tried that i lost the wireless mouse and keyboard control (i guess the internal RF receiver is USB controlled). restarted, and sure enough the drivers still didn't reinstall as it should have. to regain the keyboard and mouse and had to do a registry restore using UBCD4Win.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hmmm.... FactoryPreInstallinProgres is the other one that typically causes this issue, but is not seen in all installs.

Ok... this might seems stupid, but even when the computer is "Off", there is still power to the motherboard in computers now adays.

Turn off your computer, unplug the AC Power Cord from the back of the power supply. Wait 5 minutes and plug it back in. Power on and test your USB.

This will ensure that the USB Controller really resets.

Solution

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008

lol, silly me i didn't notice a change when i changed FactoryPreInstallinProgres to 0 because i didn't restart. sure enough, after doing that PnP is now working beautify.

Thanks so much for the help! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.