[SOLVED] windows not detecting nvme

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

overcharge

Prominent
Nov 14, 2019
So I have a fresh install of windows 10 and everything has been working fine until a few hours ago. I forced shutdown after I had finished gaming for a bit by pressing and holding the power button on my case and come back a few hours later and my BIOS doesn't detect my nvme which is a 970evo 250gb and only detects my kingston a400 ssd and wd blue HDD.

I'm not sure why this has happened so any help is appreciated. My nvme was formatted as a GPT after converting from MBR to initially install windows. Will it have just automatically changed to MBR when I forced shut down it?

Solution
Looks like the boot partition is too far gone to "fix".

Either recover from a previous known good full drive backup, or...a fresh install..:(
Thanks for the help man. Sorry it wasn't the answer you were hoping for, overcharge. I have to agree, this definitely sounds like a drive problem UNLESS when you try to use the SATA M.2 drive you have similar problems, and then it's got to be a board or power supply issue. There is ALWAYS an outside chance of a CPU issue, but unless you've had that out and back in recently, we can rule that out.

Dec 8, 2019
I was hoping to hear what happened after you put in your old nvme. My son recently turned off the ups while my main pc was running. Cause havoc. On cold boot the uefi sees my nvme, ssd and hdd. The boot manager is missing. When I choose nvme with Windows on it, the pc restarts and the nvme disappears. Can’t find it using elevated cmd prompt, can’t find it in uefi, can’t find it using usb windows installation or repair. Reseated, pulled power, everything. Only shows up on initial cold boot but, in uefi if I try to secure erase ssd option, it fails. I installed windows on the existing ssd just fine but the nvme is bricked i guess. I tried it in both m.2 slots on the asrock X370 taichi mobo. The nvme is Samsung 960 evo 1Tb. I started a support ticket with asrock and Samsung yesterday. Awaiting a response. They’re both still under warranty

You need to do your installation with NO other drives attached. ONLY the target drive. Then do a CLEAN install of Windows, as outlined in my guide which explains that you need to delete ALL existing partitions on the target drive. Doing so will cause a new boot management partition to be created. It's very doubtful that a power loss would cause any permanent damage to your NVME drive. I would be astronomically surprised if it was "bricked" and if it was there would have to be more to the story because a simple loss of power would not cause that.

If you need additional help, then please start your own thread (And PM me with the link, if you wish) so that we can help you specifically in a thread designated to YOUR problem, rather than trying to do so in a thread intended to help somebody else. Too confusing and bad form in any case.