Windows on Weight Watchers? "Lean" Version Spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnrhenle

Commendable
Dec 14, 2017
2GB isn't going to help 16GB devices much if at all. You still won't be able to fit Windows 10, Chrome, and Office 365 in 16GB, and Office 365 won't let you install it anywhere other than c:\Program Files. And the real problem with 16GB devices is the big Windows 10 feature updates require an additional 8GB or space to download and install. Again, 2GB doesn't help any here. You basically have to do a fresh install from a USB drive on all the big updates.

kuhndj67

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
I certainly hope it also fixes the bloat that has windows updates constantly expanding the WinSxS folder without allowing you to go in and clean house.

kuhndj67

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Good point Johnrhenle... I can barely get Win10 installed on a 32GB netbook, I can't imagine cutting a few GB will allow the lean version to squeeze onto 16GB.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Technically, you can use mklink command to create a junction for Office 365 installation to separate storage device. I used to do this back when I had a 60GB SSD.

I have had laptops, notebooks to repair with an SSD drive of 30GB or so, which worked fine, however the laptops keep trying to update to a newer version of Windows 10 and no more updates are available for the current version. You can't change the SSD and windows can't update itself to a newer version because there is not enough disk space. The solution is to do a clean install from a bootable memory stick (no CD drive).
This is not something that a typical user could do so they have to go to the expense of getting a professional to do it for them. A light version of Windows 10 which does not create the file windows.old might be a solution.

Pedasc

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
Wasn't this what Windows 10 S was supposed to be? I suppose they kind of screwed that up by trying to lock it down, this seems more sensible.

stdragon

Admirable
So, only 2GB was freed up, and they couldn't manage to keep REGEDIT installed??!! That's so tiny, and exceedingly useful to have in correcting an OS/App issue.

I have a better idea. How about stripping out all the useless Windows 8 / 10 included Tile apps along with whatever engine is used to capture and report telemetry data. That would be an ideal place to start.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
With everything becoming processed on servers and HTML5 being the new "green screen" MS doesn't much stand a chance with WINDOWS O.S. Free thin clients will reduce IT COSTS on corps by a very large margin. MS-SQL is crap, REGEDIT is crap, the WINSXS folder is crap and MS themselves can't support CORE (guiless servers). I know because I worked them for weeks on an core issue that Dell ended up solving instead.

kuhndj67

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

We went the cloud direction just like many other F500 corps. There are some things that can and do work well as cloud apps... but the fad of 'cloud everything' is already fading under an avalanche of substandard network throttled performance. Windows is safe for a while yet... especially if they keep innovating.

Status
Not open for further replies.