Windows Phone 8 Still Getting Little Interest from Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Good. Metro and everything infected with it needs to die. Then Microsoft can go back to the drawing board, and formulate a new mobile strategy that doesn't involve forcing desktop users to run tablet user interfaces and smartphone apps.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Windows Phone isn't a bad platform, in fact it's pretty damn good.
It's simple, intuitive, different, fast and flexible.

People are so caught up with iOS and Android they don't see the potential Windows Phone devices have.
I hope it succeeds because it deserves to be up there with the rest.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]I think the mobile phone market is just too saturated to become profitable for new companies.[/citation]The patent mess alone will cause that. It's difficult to enter even for old megacorps with divisions of lawyers.

G

XNA. I spent some nights and weekends working with it specifically for writing Windows Phone apps and games, plus be able to target xbox indie games, and pc with one code base. Now they've pulled the plug on XNA. Excuse me if I'm not super excited to start developing apps for your new phone. The whole part about the sdk only working on windows 8 running on real hardware sucks too. I have my windows 7 the way I like it. So it would mean setting up an additional pc to run windows 8. I'll most likely switch to MonoDevelop/MonoGame so I can target other platforms.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]The patent mess alone will cause that. It's difficult to enter even for old megacorps with divisions of lawyers.[/citation]
On that note: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-sued-over-new-ui-in-windows-8-64585/

G

That's stupid. If there are no developers there will be no consumers.

G

Looking at the Windows 8 APIs and the Windows 8 Phone APIs the developer does not have to do a lot of work to port from Windows 8 RT (Modern UI) to the Windows 8 Phone. So when developers start to target the Modern UI it will be cost effective to port the app to the Phone.

The real problem is Microsoft, they create new devices and 4-6 months later they pull them from the market. Microsoft will have to create some quality titles to drive support from the devices and other developers.

I did not like the Modern UI when I was using a mouse/keyboard, but with a keyboard/multi-touch pad it is as easy to navigate the Modern UI as it is for me to Navigate OSX

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]noobuser123[/nom]well, 'cause f*ck it, that's why...p.s.: i'll continue using xp64 sp2 and i'll only buy win7 when sp2 comes out[/citation]

A service pack is just regular patches grouped as one big patch.

deepblue08

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]It's not going to help that WP8 requires Windows 8 to develop with[/citation]
I don't believe that is true, you can program for WP8 on many versions of Windows and possibly some non-Windows OSs also.

bulletlynn

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Since we use all 711,000 apps? That is one of the worst arguments of all time. If they come through and make the top apps that people use then WP8 will be fine.

G

What a bunch of FUD. The SDK has been out for a day. The phones aren't even out yet. VentureBeat doesn't know a thing.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]I think the mobile phone market is just too saturated to become profitable for new companies.[/citation]

That's what they said about the video game console market in 2002.

randomizer

Champion
It's a catch-22. The developers want consumer interest before they develop for it, but consumers won't be interested in a platform with no software. It's much easier to just stick to developing for and buying phones with iOS and Android, since they've both already reached critical mass.

Microsoft needs to prove they will NOT abandon WP8 like they did the 7 version. The devs will only trust a platform that can be there for them, not something that will lose all support in a year or so.
IMO, the worst PR of all times was when MS decided to abandon WP7 less than a year after launch. That does not show any commitment, and people do not forget that.

I'm not sure how they can say it has no interest, when they went from 1500 apps to 120,000 apps in like a week. Maybe they are talking about more serious applications, but it was just released, we do have to give it some time.

tacobravo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
All the negative press for Windows 8 and its phone platform. I don't understand why "developers" don't like Windows 8. Windows 7.5 was applauded for being an excellent OS and yet 8 gets no love? Sounds like the media is trying to down play Microsoft's products in favor of Apple garbage from sites like Engadget and Cnet. And yes those site talk a bunch of crap against MS with Apple gets high remarks for the same crap they pump out every year

Status
Not open for further replies.