Windows President Steven Sinofsky Quits Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
If he was responsible for Windows 8, I'm not sure it's such a bad thing. Hopefully we can get some real innovation reliant upon customer input in the OS and XBOX environments.

G

Darth Maul is dead, Always two Sith there are, never more never less.

G

Microsoft Employee: Ah, MR. Sinofsky. we need to make the Metro GUI optional on windows 8!

Sinofsky: No, Never! It will be Metro, The customers do not know what they want! until I tell... I tell them, and They want what I tell them to want!

Microsoft Employee: But the surveys say otherwise!

Sinofsky: Then the surveys are wrong! Can't you see this black turtleneck sweater I'am wearing! This means I am ALL KNOWING! Can you not see that I am the SECOND COMING!

Microsoft Employee: Okaaaaay!

f-14

Distinguished
he was ' let go' in the middle of the night.

who quits in the middle of the night with a prearranged press conference ?

nobody!

he was fired here is why:

"If you followed any of the news around the Windows 8 launch, you'll know that it didn't go so well. People who tested the software found to be confusing, and the company scrambled to do damage control in the days that followed. "

microsoft makes software for business, this whole 'touch' thing is microsoft trying to be apple like at selling a product to consumers, not businesses.

if microsoft was aiming windows 8 at businesses they would have made it with mostly voice recognition/command.

windows 8 is such a dismal flop worse than vista the people who designed it are getting fired!

$38-$89 product at launch when most other windows since windows 98 have luanched at $200-$300.

think on that it speaks VOLUMES about microsofts confidence in this product.

where is ME ? ME didn't even last 2 years i'm pretty sure it was discontinued within almost 1 year of it's launch, but i don't care to remember ME was THAT terrible.
ME was priced about the same as windows 8 is now.

windows 8 is in the same boat and will be just as short history.

G

And Now! we get Julie (The Ribbon Lady) Larson-Green! And the pretty tiles will be transformed into Ribbons! Ribbons of silver and gold! We have gone from Flooring to the Sewing and fabrics isle in the little Microsoft shop of horrible interfaces! Clean up in aisle 5!

AndreT

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Julie Larson-Green also designed the Metro UI.

Also, @f-14 the OS is so cheap because they want everyone to adopt it so the Microsoft store gets a foot hold. That's where the real money is.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Obviously no one really knows what happened except those people in the room, but I don't see any reason to doubt that he quit of his own volition. I do happen to like 8, but that's beside the point for now. With little news on how good or bad the OS is doing, and the fact that official numbers won't be out for a little while longer, MSFT would be stupid to try to push this guy out now, which would obviously start rumors of 8 doing very poorly, and therefore hurt sales further. They would want to hold him on for a while longer until just before the official numbers, definitely after the holiday shopping season, to avoid a sales hit. Of course, someone wants to quit there's not much you can do to stop them. I think he more likely quit than was forced out.

G

rosen380, This has nuthing to do with Male or Female, both the Ribbon interface and the Metro (tiles) interface suck on the windows desktop! This is one Male and one Female shepherding in TWO of the most crappy interfaces that the desktop has ever seen!

mpdugas

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Think what a hero he'd have been if he had offered PC users a CHOICE about which W8 interface they'd like to use, rather than making it a requirement!

I don't own or want a smartphone or a tablet, nor do I want my PC to behave like one over my objection; I'll buy W8 when the type of UI becomes my choice.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]andret[/nom]Julie Larson-Green also designed the Metro UI.Also, @f-14 the OS is so cheap because they want everyone to adopt it so the Microsoft store gets a foot hold. That's where the real money is.[/citation]

the microsoft store can be launched like iTunes and or with a patch to all windows update platforms.

seriously WHO QUITS AT NIGHT during monday night football WITH a prearranged press conference?!

why would you need a press conference to quit? WHY?

think on that.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Looks like Windows 8 missed its sales expectations. I could have told you that was going to happen last year. Actually, I did! The major flaws in the OS were not addressed since early build and beta releases. Hopefully Microsoft learns from their mistakes and the new people avoid repeating those mistakes. Sometimes the company likes to stupidly double-down on failed concepts, unfortunately. Hopefully that doesn't happen with 9!

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]LetTheTrump8sBLOW[/nom]Microsoft Employee: Ah, MR. Sinofsky. we need to make the Metro GUI optional on windows 8! Sinofsky: No, Never! It will be Metro, The customers do not know what they want! until I tell... I tell them, and They want what I tell them to want! Microsoft Employee: But the surveys say otherwise! Sinofsky: Then the surveys are wrong! Can't you see this black turtleneck sweater I'am wearing! This means I am ALL KNOWING! Can you not see that I am the SECOND COMING! Microsoft Employee: Okaaaaay![/citation]

Billions upon billions of ipad sales... yeah, consumers hate touch and easy to use UIs.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Proves that Windows 8 is not liked and has many user irritability issues.
Lets all hope that Microsoft realizes their huge mistake and will fix all of Windows 8 problems and release a much better and improved Windows 9 ASAP.
Windows 8 big failure is a very good lesson for stubborn Microsoft. They should work on a much improved Windows 9 without all the irritating usability issues and release it when this new OS is really ready for the world to adopt. I really hate being their guinea pig.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I think him, the guy in charge of Apple's iOS/Maps, that other Apple retail guy that left, and a few other people (maybe Bioware founders) are joining up to form a new company. All these layoffs and or quitting probably does mean something. They can call it Wippleware.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]the microsoft store can be launched like iTunes and or with a patch to all windows update platforms.seriously WHO QUITS AT NIGHT during monday night football WITH a prearranged press conference?!why would you need a press conference to quit? WHY?think on that.[/citation]

Are you saying it makes more sense to hold a press conference over firing someone?...

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Edit:
[citation][nom]superblahman123[/nom]Are you saying it makes more sense to hold a press conference over firing someone?...[/citation]

They would hold a press conference either way, he was the President of Windows. Wouldn't it indicate that he was fired if the announcement wasn't coupled with a press conference?

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Whatever the reason for quitting was (or fired), it could've have been at a more perfect time imo. He just finished W8 and Surface, let someone else continue on to the next projects. 23 years was plenty of time

donsagrott

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
> i can think of at least 10 good reasons why everyone should give windows 8 a chance

( http:// sospep.com/view/article?id=549#content )

> AND windows 7 IS microsoft's most successfull os of all time

> and now the leader of the windows pack, the guy in charge of it all, has either jumped ship or was pushed overboard

- i am sure he will re surface soon !!

Status
Not open for further replies.