[SOLVED] Windows refuses to let me close disk session

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
I already lost a 5 dollar disk due to the windows built in disk burner being inadequate and horribly built. I made a bunch of blu Ray data disks and they are all still open and windows will not let me finalize them. I tried finalizing one in third party software by adding a small file then clicking finalize disk, and it worked but destroyed all the previous stuff on the disk. These disks are expensive m discs and I'm not going to make another coaster. I need to know how to finalize the disks I already burned in windows, I will start using the third party burner software but I already burned a bunch and need to close them to use them in other PC's. When I right click the disk in windows there is no option to finalize, when I go into global settings and tick the boxes to finalize after burn/eject it still won't finalize. I have like 40 dollars in open disks I need to finalize.

Solution
You can't rewrite those disks. They are not rewritable. Once written, that's it. I'm afraid you've probably wasted your money. You should NEVER use Windows built in applications, for pretty much anything, but for sure with burning discs. Windows built in disc burning has always been atrocious, and at best, worked occasionally, if at all.

Yes, they say you can go back and close session on unclosed discs, but personally, I've rarely seen it work correctly if the disc wasn't closed at the end of the previous write operation, and never with M discs. It's possible, perhaps even common, but I've never seen it nor had to do it because everything I've ever written was automatically closed by the software applications I use and typically...

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
It might be helpful if you shared your full hardware specifications, burner drive specifications, exact disk type specifications and what software you are trying to use to burn these with.
Burner:
LG Electronics 14X SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter without Software, Black Model WH14NS40 - OEM
Disks:
Verbatim 98912 M-Disc BDXL 100GB 4X with Branded Surface

Verbatim M-Disc BD-R 25GB 4X with Branded Surface

Verbatim 98924 M-Disc BD-R DL 50GB 6X with Branded Surface

I used the built in windows burner, could I get a software to close my disks without overwriting them?

Im not burning the discs on my main pc, I jujst put my new drive in a cheaper one. i3 6100 8 gigs ddr4 gtx 1050 500 watt psu.

You can't rewrite those disks. They are not rewritable. Once written, that's it. I'm afraid you've probably wasted your money. You should NEVER use Windows built in applications, for pretty much anything, but for sure with burning discs. Windows built in disc burning has always been atrocious, and at best, worked occasionally, if at all.

Yes, they say you can go back and close session on unclosed discs, but personally, I've rarely seen it work correctly if the disc wasn't closed at the end of the previous write operation, and never with M discs. It's possible, perhaps even common, but I've never seen it nor had to do it because everything I've ever written was automatically closed by the software applications I use and typically, that's the way it SHOULD work these days.

Most "guides" telling you otherwise are for much older late 90's and early 2000's operating systems and burning software.

Unfortunately, I do not personally know of any software that will close those discs if Windows itself won't do it by doing this.

To finalize your disc:

Start by clicking the “My Computer” icon.
Find the disc icon for your CD or DVD; if you gave it a name it should show up there too.
Right click on the icon and select “Close Session.”
A pop-up box will appear once the finalization is done. Your disc can now be safely removed from your drive.

If that doesn't work, then it's unlikely anything is going to work.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014

Yes, they say you can go back and close session on unclosed discs, but personally, I've rarely seen it work correctly if the disc wasn't closed at the end of the previous write operation, and never with M discs. It's possible, perhaps even common, but I've never seen it nor had to do it because everything I've ever written was automatically closed by the software applications I use and typically, that's the way it SHOULD work these days.

Most "guides" telling you otherwise are for much older late 90's and early 2000's operating systems and burning software.

Unfortunately, I do not personally know of any software that will close those discs if Windows itself won't do it by doing this.

To finalize your disc:

Start by clicking the “My Computer” icon.
Find the disc icon for your CD or DVD; if you gave it a name it should show up there too.
Right click on the icon and select “Close Session.”
A pop-up box will appear once the finalization is done. Your disc can now be safely removed from your drive.

If that doesn't work, then it's unlikely anything is going to work.
well Microsofts horrible software cost me some expensive disks, the disks work but only with win 10. if its so bad it breaks your stuff they shouldn't even include it. I assumed Microsoft being as large as they are would have adequate software for making data disks, I guess its just pure laziness because they have a monopoly on desktop pc operating systems and dont need to try because they have no competition. just spent a bunch of money replacing the disks Microsoft stole from me.

I'm not saying there is NO solution, or that it's NOT possible, at all, but if so, I just don't know about it. There might be somebody else with a workaround who does, but I'm not particularly hopeful on that front. I do a lot of burning, like, I literally have over 800 Blu ray discs I've made copies of for backup purposes, and aside from a couple of coasters that were likely due to bad discs, I've never had any similar problems BUT I also use DVDFab for burning movies (Must purchase the BD module for Blu Ray disc capability AND you need a BD capable software player in order to replay them, because Windows does not have this for playback) and various other software utilities for burning other stuff. For CDs, I use Exact audio copy. For other less critical stuff, I use Burnaware Free version.

I also have never used M discs for any of my backups, so I don't know for certain if perhaps there is something relevant to them being M discs that is causing the problem or not.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
I'm not saying there is NO solution, or that it's NOT possible, at all, but if so, I just don't know about it. There might be somebody else with a workaround who does, but I'm not particularly hopeful on that front. I do a lot of burning, like, I literally have over 800 Blu ray discs I've made copies of for backup purposes, and aside from a couple of coasters that were likely due to bad discs, I've never had any similar problems BUT I also use DVDFab for burning movies (Must purchase the BD module for Blu Ray disc capability AND you need a BD capable software player in order to replay them, because Windows does not have this for playback) and various other software utilities for burning other stuff. For CDs, I use Exact audio copy. For other less critical stuff, I use Burnaware Free version.

I also have never used M discs for any of my backups, so I don't know for certain if perhaps there is something relevant to them being M discs that is causing the problem or not.
im not making movies, Im backing up isos programs drivers games music and will also back up movies when I get around to ripping them. Im making discs for computers not dvd players, so I thought windows built in burner software would work because im just doing data discs, I guess not. 2 of the discs did close after burn the other ones did not so it was a problem idk what casused it.

What are your actual system hardware specs? Windows version? CPU model? Motherboard model? How much memory and how fast, in fact, model kit would be even better? Just wondering because I again don't think you're using the best tool for the job.

CDburnerXP is VERY old software, and is probably not the best free option by far out there. It should probably only be used in very specific circumstances where it is absolutely necessary, but if it works, it works. Personally I'd try something a lot newer.

USAFRet

Titan
I still use CDBurnerXP, but only to read or create an ISO.
Not burn a DVD.

Those ISOs just get stashed on a hard drive.

Going through my stack of crap, I came upon a whole bunch of Linux ISOs and ancient Windows installations.
As well as things like a VisualStudio.Net Service Pack 1, from 2003. Like I really needed to keep that.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
What are your actual system hardware specs? Windows version? CPU model? Motherboard model? How much memory and how fast, in fact, model kit would be even better? Just wondering because I again don't think you're using the best tool for the job.

CDburnerXP is VERY old software, and is probably not the best free option by far out there. It should probably only be used in very specific circumstances where it is absolutely necessary, but if it works, it works. Personally I'd try something a lot newer.
Im not using my main pc, Im using a cheaper one I have lying around. i3 6100, single channel 8 gb ddr4,
ASUS H110-PLUS Intel LGA H110 1151 ATX Desktop Motherboard, gtx 1050, wd green hdd, windows 10 newest build. Im just using this pc to test stuff out and burn disks right now. my main pc is much nicer but I dont think burring discs needs tons of horsepower, does it?

USAFRet

Titan
Im not using my main pc, Im using a cheaper one I have lying around. i3 6100, single channel 8 gb ddr4,
ASUS H110-PLUS Intel LGA H110 1151 ATX Desktop Motherboard, gtx 1050, wd green hdd, windows 10 newest build. Im just using this pc to test stuff out and burn disks right now. my main pc is much nicer but I dont think burring discs needs tons of horsepower, does it?
A WD Green HDD is one of the worst mainstream drives you can use for the OS drive.

Reactions: Darkbreeze
No, "burning" doesn't require much horsepower. Everything else involved in the process such as conversions, encoding, ripping, etc., does.

And yes, using a very slow, low quality drive CAN have an effect, because everything that happens during a burn or conversion has to be stored TO someplace and read FROM someplace, and if that place is hard to access because it is slow and has very little cache, then yeah, it's going to have an affect and slow things down.

USAFRet

Titan
I know but this is not my main pc its a low spec testing machine for the most part, that cant mess your burn up or anything, can it?
Your i3-6100 is considerably newer than my main system.
I have no issues writing out to a DVD.

That WD Green, however...that CAN have an impact.
Not saying it is having an impact. But if some hardware in this that were the issue, it would be a tossup between whatever DVD drive you're using and that WD Green.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
Your i3-6100 is considerably newer than my main system.
I have no issues writing out to a DVD.

That WD Green, however...that CAN have an impact.
Not saying it is having an impact. But if some hardware in this that were the issue, it would be a tossup between whatever DVD drive you're using and that WD Green.
I think its software, so far cdburnerxp is burning much faster than the windows burner burned, and I will know soon after it finishes if its the solution. the drive I use is new i just got it LG Electronics 14X SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter without Software, Black Model WH14NS40 - OEM

Yeah, the burner drive should be fine. The other drive, and I have several of them around here, is terrible. It's what they put in the WD elements external drives and it's an already slow mechanical drive with a very slow 5400rpm spindle speed and very low cache amount. I won't use them for anything anymore except backing up large stuff that won't need to be backed up very often, so long term storage, or replacing failed customer drives when they can't afford something new or better and just need something quick and cheap for the moment.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
Yeah, the burner drive should be fine. The other drive, and I have several of them around here, is terrible. It's what they put in the WD elements external drives and it's an already slow mechanical drive with a very slow 5400rpm spindle speed and very low cache amount. I won't use them for anything anymore except backing up large stuff that won't need to be backed up very often, so long term storage, or replacing failed customer drives when they can't afford something new or better and just need something quick and cheap for the moment.
my burn is almost done, if it goes well I will just use cdburnerxp, if it works it works. its burning like 10x faster than on windows at the same 4x speed, maybe because windows was caching stuff on my slow wd green drive and this software just burns directly from the source I copied from.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
well Microsofts horrible software cost me some expensive disks, the disks work but only with win 10. if its so bad it breaks your stuff they shouldn't even include it. I assumed Microsoft being as large as they are would have adequate software for making data disks, I guess its just pure laziness because they have a monopoly on desktop pc operating systems and dont need to try because they have no competition. just spent a bunch of money replacing the disks Microsoft stole from me.
What do you mean "the disks work but only with win 10."
I have a DVD burner that makes perfect data/video DVDs-as long as I play them on the same computer. I am sure it is because the lasers are a bit off in the DVD burner.

Have you made a BluRay movie or data disk that is works on another computer or BluRay player? It may be your burner.
But,yeah,definately get some stand alone burner software.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!
This use to happen to me back in the day!
I had stacks of "open" CD (then DVD) disks that were open......

It was either FireBurner or Nero that had an option to close the disk.

Look for a piece of software that has a "close session" option and you are golden (at least until you get proper burning software)

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!
This use to happen to me back in the day!
I had stacks of "open" CD (then DVD) disks that were open......

It was either FireBurner or Nero that had an option to close the disk.

Look for a piece of software that has a "close session" option and you are golden (at least until you get proper burning software)
did you burn the disks that woudnt close in windows then close them with software? I think the fact that I burned with windows makes it so I cant close it with third party software.

Last edited:

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
What do you mean "the disks work but only with win 10."
I have a DVD burner that makes perfect data/video DVDs-as long as I play them on the same computer. I am sure it is because the lasers are a bit off in the DVD burner.

Have you made a BluRay movie or data disk that is works on another computer or BluRay player? It may be your burner.
But,yeah,definately get some stand alone burner software.
my burner is fine, I just made a disk with software that closed properly. I was having problems with windows built in piece of garbage disk burner thing. the darn things would not close even when I had the option set to close automatically after burn, well 2 of them closed the rest were open with no close option.

Status
Not open for further replies.