Question Windows Reinstall --- Will New Key Remove Old Associations with Microsoft Account ?

klhsx1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
I had a security issue with windows.
My Microsoft account was synced to my PC, but also to a work PC.
I removed the sync to the work PC after some files were destroyed by my employer.
The account sync was somehow re established.
I have read that microsoft can re establish accounts, windows software, and other aspects through existing hardware.

I want to make sure that no one is going to access my computer again.

So I want to remove this microsoft association with my PC completely.

I will install a new hard drive, but from what I understand the windows key lives in the UEFI BIOS on the motherboard.
How do I remove this ?

I want to buy a new copy of windows and not have this machine in any way associated with that microsoft account.

If I purchase a new copy of windows and enter the new serial will this work?
Will this in any way be re associated with my old microsoft accounts based on the same mother board?

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
go here - https://account.microsoft.com/account?lang=en-us
logon using the email address tied to the account & password
click devices tab
logon again
if there are two devices, you might need to click on both and look at details to confirm which is which
Once you are sure you are have the right one, click on manage under its name in the header and click Remove PC
follow steps (Not sure what they are as not going to go too far with my PC, just to figure out an answer anyway)

This removes the PC from that licence.

Now Activation Servers may still remember association but if you enter new key when installing and use another email address to tie licence too, you should be fine.

klhsx1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
thanks

This will hopefully ensure the current motherboard on my home PC is no longer associated with this previous personal microsoft account.

But it seems windows now requires you to have a microsoft account in order to install windows 10?

I have a few specific goals here:

1) Break all associations between any windows OS, motherboard/computer, and any microsoft accounts

2) Reinstall windows with no associations to any microsoft account or any email account

3) Make sure that no one is able to re establish account syncs after removal ( they have already done this once)

The more I read about this it seems the damage is done, the connections are made, and cannot be removed. The computer that was synced to my accounts will always have access to my accounts. Bitlocker stores info on the bios to ID your computer, and will always be able to re establish the sync from this. I have no way to access the work computer from the employer who had me establish the sync to their Win OS. They can always contact microsoft and do some kind of recovery process and be re-synced to my personal email and skype accounts.

Contacting microsoft leads to being passed around and hung up on countless times.

Any thoughts?

klhsx1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
I had once already installed a new hard drive, and re installed windows, I just noticed , and I never realized that windows did no activate after this re install.

From what I read it should automatically activate because of the same motherboard, and the windows key being stored in the BIOS.

So I am wondering why windows did not activate. Does this mean that the employer has assumed control of my microsoft account? And has windows installed on their machine with my serial? Is that why my windows did not activate?

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you do this install after following my steps or before?

The steps above remove the PC from the email address, the licence is still linked to the email address, not the PC.

I want to buy a new copy of windows and not have this machine in any way associated with that microsoft account.
Don't you have a new copy of Windows now you want to install on this PC. You use the key that comes with that and not any that can be tied to the old account.

klhsx1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
So I re installed many months ago, and it never was activated for some reason.

I understand if I install now with a new key this machine wont be associated.

But the ex Employer PC was synced by its windows OS to my microsoft account.

So It seems they will always have access to my personal accounts. I need to understand if their motherboard or hardware is now associated with my microsoft account. Even though the sync is removed. The issue is they can access, delete, and modify emails (which they have already done) in my microsoft account.

klhsx1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
there is some feature of windows that allows you to reinstall windows after hardware upgrades. That feature seems permanent. Somehow the ex employer has regained the sync after removing their PC already.

So even though i go to device manager and remove their PC. They somehow re establish the sync.

Their windows OS licence was a different OS and key than my OS and key at the time. I am wondering if they somehow have associated their PC with my microsoft account, my microsoft KEY, or any other associations, that allow them to regain access at any point even after removing device sync, Because they instructed me to sync my microsoft / google accounts to their windows OS.

USAFRet

Titan
there is some feature of windows that allows you to reinstall windows after hardware upgrades. That feature seems permanent. Somehow the ex employer has regained the sync after removing their PC already.

So even though i go to device manager and remove their PC. They somehow re establish the sync.

Their windows OS licence was a different OS and key than my OS and key at the time. I am wondering if they somehow have associated their PC with my microsoft account, my microsoft KEY, or any other associations, that allow them to regain access at any point even after removing device sync, Because they instructed me to sync my microsoft / google accounts to their windows OS.
Solution:

Create a NEW MS account, for you.
Install, and link this new license to your new account.
Your employer will have NO access or influence on that.

klhsx1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
my google drive through outlook was synced to their PC, and my windows account was synced to my PC OS. So I guess I need to remove that google account sync still? This has been going on for a year and they have done some real life damaging stuff now.

klhsx1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
I guess the problem is that my ex employers google drive is synced to my outlook account, and I have no access to break this , and there is no support contact at google, and I cannot log in to this google account, because it was never my google account.

klhsx1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
the employer has access to my life long email accounts, and it contains evidence for a court case, so its the old account access that needs to be adressed, not any new one

USAFRet

Titan
and instructed me to input my password for a hotmail account
the employer has access to my life long email accounts
This is why you never mix work and personal.

I've never had an employer ask for that, and I would decline if asked.

In fact, that is likely against the Terms of Service. "Never share your password with anyone."

So, carry the concept oof the new MS account to the next level.
As much pain as it is, a whole new personal hotmail account, or wherever.
Forward all your personal emails out of that employer compromised account, then delete from that.

Cut all ties.

klhsx1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
yes, very stupid of me, but I had no idea an employer was a criminal. I trusted them and needed the job, I did not understand what they were doing I just thought it would set up file sharing. I did not realize they had access to everything, and would frame me from my own accounts.

I dont want to close those accounts, because hotmail, and skype records now form the basis of a legal matter.

Also they have altered email attachments, using this google account sync, and I need to preserve this somehow to prove in court.

klhsx1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
I guess for now I will install the new OS, and secure my PC for my new job, and deal with the google sync to outlook seperately.

There just is no way to get support for google, especially since it was never my google account.
Is the device sync shown in the microsoft account the same as the google sync? Where does a google sync show up in a microsoft account?

USAFRet

Titan
yes, very stupid of me, but I had no idea an employer was a criminal. I trusted them and needed the job, I did not understand what they were doing I just thought it would set up file sharing. I did not realize they had access to everything, and would frame me from my own accounts.

I dont want to close those accounts, because hotmail, and skype records now form the basis of a legal matter.

Also they have altered email attachments, using this google account sync, and I need to preserve this somehow to prove in court.
Then you need to get hardcopy printouts of those emails, as they are right now. And since this is a legal matter, handle it however your lawyer says to do it.