[SOLVED] Windows Restart ends up shutting down the computer ?

Apr 22, 2022
Hi all,

I just recently built a new SFF PC, and after some troubles I am smooth sailing. Kind of. I tend to leave my computer on throughout the night and just let it go to sleep, but I wake up seeing the computer is off. When I try to start the computer, it would always get stuck with the spinning circle of dots with the motherboard manufacturer logo, like it freezes. The only way to get out of that is to use the power button and shut off the PC, turn off the power supply, unplug the power from the wall, rest for a bit, and then plug everything in and start. Then, I would load into windows update screen before logging in with a notification saying "we could not complete updates."

I did not really know what was going on until I messed around today and Windows has an update it is trying to install, which involves restarting the computer. However, whenever it restarts, the computer runs into a problem and cannot complete updates. That is my guess, but has anyone else ever had this problem and what exactly is going on here? I have already disabled auto restart, but this also does apply to clicking the restart butting in the power menu too. Shut down is fine, where I can shut down and hit the power button and nothing will freeze.

Here are my specs:
CPU: 12600K
GPU: EVGA 3080 FTW 3
Mobo: gigabyte aorus ultra z690i ddr4
Cooler: EVGA CLC 280
RAM: G skill trident z 3200 MHz cl 16
Storage: 1tb WD black sn 850 (drive with windows on, I have another 2 tb ssd)
Case: SSUPD meshlicious

Solution
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window: (if you type them out, spacing needs to match or you will get errors)

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

Restart PC is SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

see if that helps.

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H2
try updating/restarting and waiting for an hour, maybe windows is performing a BIOS update or similar

is it overclocked?

Which power supply are you using?

Which BIOS version is on the motherboard? F8c would be the latest

are all drivers installed in the device manager?

check the windows event viewer for errors at the time the PC doesn´t wake up correctly

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click start button

copy/paste this command into window: (if you type them out, spacing needs to match or you will get errors)

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

Restart PC is SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

see if that helps.

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
much of the time you get errors about not being able to complete updates, its trying to do a version update. If you not on 21H2 now, I would download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

might help to create installer on a PC that doesn't have windows update problems

once you have USB, put it into PC that won't update.
go to file exploder (Win key +E)
navigate to the usb and run setup
it should offer to update current PC, agree
it will restart but it shouldn't have same errors as its running off the USB and not relying on any files on PC

Solution
Apr 22, 2022
try updating/restarting and waiting for an hour, maybe windows is performing a BIOS update or similar

is it overclocked?

check the windows event viewer for errors at the time the PC doesn´t wake up correctly
I have the Corsair rmx 750 and I have not started over locking my cpu or GPU. Ofc ram is on its xmp setting. As far as I know all drivers r up to date. I'm not sure which bios version I am currently on, but I can check if it's in the bios.

Apr 22, 2022
right click start button

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

see if that helps.

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
much of the time you get errors about not being able to complete updates, its trying to do a version update. If you not on 21H2 now, I would download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

might help to create installer on a PC that doesn't have windows update problems

it will restart but it shouldn't have same errors as its running off the USB and not relying on any files on PC
Will give that a shot

Apr 22, 2022
right click start button

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

see if that helps.

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...

Update: I am on 21H2 but I have this update of cumulative update preview even though I have installed 21H2 when I installed windows

Apr 22, 2022

is it overclocked?

I just checked the bios version and it is only F4, which I'm assuming is behind. Also, I have recently 3 errors, which includes "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0845: 2022-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5012599)" when I try to manually shut down and install the update, and also "
The cplspcon service terminated with the following error:
Unspecified error". I'm not entirely sure what either of them mean.

In device manager, I have yellow triangles under two unknown devices and resource hub proxy device, but those are the only drivers with potential problems.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I just checked the bios version and it is only F4
your bios number not even on this page, its got F3, F6 & F8c
updates might help, the motherboard isn't that old that you are too far behind.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690I-AORUS-ULTRA-DDR4-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

0x800F0845
one cause of this is insufficient space on C, I assume the 1tb drive is all c? how much free space on drive?

so sfc didn't help? cause its another solution for that.
21H2 is just the version update, you still need to get the cumulative updates... like the one that is failing now.

this appears to be a common error, most events in event viewer are one off and may work every other time.

Apr 22, 2022
your bios number not even on this page, its got F3, F6 & F8c
updates might help, the motherboard isn't that old that you are too far behind.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690I-AORUS-ULTRA-DDR4-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

one cause of this is insufficient space on C, I assume the 1tb drive is all c? how much free space on drive?

so sfc didn't help? cause its another solution for that.
21H2 is just the version update, you still need to get the cumulative updates... like the one that is failing now.

this appears to be a common error, most events in event viewer are one off and may work every other time.
Couple things: I just installed the latest bios update, and I am trying to get into windows. SFC did not run properly, and I have more than 900 gbs on my windows C drive. When I try to install the cumulative updates, the PC shuts down and restarts, and it just says could not complete updates and is reversing them. Also, integrated graphics works just fine, but when I plug into the GPU, I run into problems with the motherboard manufacturer loading screen freezing. I cannot pinpoint what exactly is the problem every time, but I have disabled secure boot for my GPU.

Edit: I just ran SFC scan and this is what it told me:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
What do I do from here? Should I try to update windows through a media creation tool, or try to fix these corrupt files?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click start button

copy/paste this command into window: (if you type it, the spacing needs to match or you get errors)

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

Apr 22, 2022
right click start button

copy/paste this command into window: (if you type it, the spacing needs to match or you get errors)

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

Sorry if you did not see the edit but I did just run SFC and windows said it found corrupt files but could not fix them.

Here's what I said above:
I just ran SFC scan and this is what it told me:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
What do I do from here? Should I try to update windows through a media creation tool, or try to fix these corrupt files?

Apr 22, 2022
the top command:
will repair the files SFC uses to check the system, which means it will be able to fix them now.
I ended up using ur method way up above to update from a USB which worked, but that was on integrated graphics because my GPU would not display. I am all up to date on windows, but now I can't use my GPU display ports because if I try to use them, I will get past the part to click delete to enter bios, but on the screen with gigabyte and a spinning circle, it would freeze, and I have waited for something to happen but nothing does. I don't know if that's a graphics driver thing for my 3080 but I think I have 512.59 as my Nvidia driver?

Colif

Win 11 Master
try this and see if uninstalling the drivers in safe mode will get you into windows

Apr 22, 2022
try this and see if uninstalling the drivers in safe mode will get you into windows

Currently, I am running off of my graphics card display and everything is working fine, windows is up to date, ran a sfc scan just to make sure no corrupt files. I'm gonna mark the first one you posted as the solution, but if the screen does freeze again I will comeback to boot into safe mode. Thanks a lot.