Windows Server 8 to Get a New File System: ReFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it support files with names greater than 256 characters long? I often have to rename files (web pages) that I download because their names being outrageously long that some are up to 384 characters long. Web masters should consider article numbers or a web page naming scheme that isn't a directory or a long title and directory -_-

I wonder how much better win serv 8 is compared to 2003 and 2008 R2.

hannibal

Distinguished
Yep. Interesting to see if we see full implementation of this in win8 servicepack or in win9.
In anyway nice upgrade, that will have greater impact later, when it is properly tested and allowed to use allso in boot sector.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"file lengths of up to 32,000 (unicode) characters"

Uh, am I missing something or is this a typo.
What is a 'file length' ?
Do they mean file NAME or Sector size ?

jcaulley_74

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Does it support files with names greater than 256 characters long? I often have to rename files (web pages) that I download because their names being outrageously long that some are up to 384 characters long.[/citation]

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Uh, am I missing something or is this a typo.What is a 'file length' ?Do they mean file NAME or Sector size ?[/citation]

"path and file (name) lengths of up to 32,000 (unicode) characters"

jcaulley_74

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Other relevant info from the ReFS blog:

"Q) Can I boot from ReFS in Windows Server 8?

No, this is not implemented or supported.

Q) Can ReFS be used on removable media or drives?

No, this is not implemented or supported.

Q) What semantics or features of NTFS are no longer supported on ReFS?

The NTFS features we have chosen to not support in ReFS are: named streams, object IDs, short names, compression, file level encryption (EFS), user data transactions, sparse, hard-links, extended attributes, and quotas."

[citation][nom]jcaulley_74[/nom]Other relevant info from the ReFS blog:"Q) Can I boot from ReFS in Windows Server 8?No, this is not implemented or supported.Q) Can ReFS be used on removable media or drives?No, this is not implemented or supported.Q) What semantics or features of NTFS are no longer supported on ReFS?The NTFS features we have chosen to not support in ReFS are: named streams, object IDs, short names, compression, file level encryption (EFS), user data transactions, sparse, hard-links, extended attributes, and quotas."[/citation]

As with any new file system, it takes time to become adopted. NTFS was not fully adopted until late into XPs release, some people were still using FAT32.

Honestly though it looks interesting. Looks more geared towards servers, as NTFS does what we need for DT but maybe it will incorporate a few things from the now dead WINFS.....

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Looking at the changes they're making going from win 7 to 8...I'm getting a very strong feeling that Win 9 will turn out to be a master of all trades...great for power users, great for gamers, great for consumption devices and great for servers/enterprises...I mean, they'll have some teething troubles with Win 8 as they did with Vista, but they'll refine it in the end.

Win 9 will hopefully spur Apple into make a better OS too...but i know they'll be happy with a blown up version of a mobile OS so hopefully Mac OS goes extinct...long live Winux! (or Lindows :p )

G

I will be using FAT32 until Western Digital stops making formating options for it ! Or I buy disks with this parallel recording system.......

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Does it support files with names greater than 256 characters long? I often have to rename files (web pages) that I download because their names being outrageously long that some are up to 384 characters long. Web masters should consider article numbers or a web page naming scheme that isn't a directory or a long title and directory -_- I wonder how much better win serv 8 is compared to 2003 and 2008 R2.[/citation]

I don't know about file NAME lengths larger than 256 characters, but file PATHS longer than 255 or 256 characters is very annoying in windows 7 because Explorer throws a fit when the path is this long. So, I use Total Commander. I hope Win8 (with regular NTFS) supports longer path lengths!

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"file lengths of up to 32,000 (unicode) characters"Uh, am I missing something or is this a typo.What is a 'file length' ?Do they mean file NAME or Sector size ?[/citation]
i think they mean the whole length like C:\windows\system32\123.sys
or maybe filename who knows

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
if it wanst a file system and just a feature, i would get win8 in a heartbeat for 32k character limit, constantly have to rename crap as it stands because of long names.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"file lengths of up to 32,000 (unicode) characters"Uh, am I missing something or is this a typo.What is a 'file length' ?Do they mean file NAME or Sector size ?[/citation]
"c:\someHugeDirectory\someHugeDirectory\myFolder\myFile.mp3" That's the path.
Currently windows only supports 256 characters from c: through .mp3...

Ive run into issue with this at work when people want their file named "customer's lastname, customers first name, customers DOB, visit type.pdf" If I were to try to export that to a server from my local pc it would have to be something like "z:\someHugeDirectory\someHugeDirectory\someHugeDirectory\someHugeDirectory\finalDirectory\customer's lastname, customers first name, customers DOB, visit type.pdf" So as you can see it runs out of characters fast and my file name ends up being truncated or the program wont export it at all. This will stop that

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]"c:\someHugeDirectory\someHugeDirectory\myFolder\myFile.mp3" That's the path. Currently windows only supports 256 characters from c: through .mp3... Ive run into issue with this at work when people want their file named "customer's lastname, customers first name, customers DOB, visit type.pdf" If I were to try to export that to a server from my local pc it would have to be something like "z:\someHugeDirectory\someHugeDirectory\someHugeDirectory\someHugeDirectory\finalDirectory\customer's lastname, customers first name, customers DOB, visit type.pdf" So as you can see it runs out of characters fast and my file name ends up being truncated or the program wont export it at all. This will stop that[/citation]

Yes, I figured something along the filename/path thing.
Also I rarely use long filenames myself. Programming background... lazy, we hate to type long variables :)

and before someone yells CUT and PASTE... I am the generation well before cut and paste. I speak peek and poke and old habits die hard :)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Yes, I figured something along the filename/path thing.Also I rarely use long filenames myself. Programming background... lazy, we hate to type long variables :)and before someone yells CUT and PASTE... I am the generation well before cut and paste. I speak peek and poke and old habits die hard :)[/citation]
out of curiosity, how many programs use more than 46656 files?
you could easily name them aaa, aab, aac, aad, aae... ect for a long time before you would ever need a 4th letter, and that would give you 1679616 file head room...

thats figured useing these keys

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Screw whatever filesystem NTFS is decent enough, whats more important is the Crash issue. Microsoft should have create a OS kernel that is independent from any application crashes. Even in win7, if my program crashes I still cant Crtl-Alt-del terminate it because it crash my window7 as well. Get me a windows that are completely able to Crtl-Alt-Del to terminate all the crashed programs i throw at it.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]out of curiosity, how many programs use more than 46656 files?you could easily name them aaa, aab, aac, aad, aae... ect for a long time before you would ever need a 4th letter, and that would give you 1679616 file head room... thats figured useing these keysabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890[/citation]

Ahem, when I said 'short' names I did not mean a,b,c of course. Descriptive is ok, just not 256 characters long. That's not descriptive, that's a short story :D

Status
Not open for further replies.