Question Windows spinning dots freeze when restarting

May 30, 2021
Hey everyone!

I've got a problem with Windows 10 and been trying to look at the issue for months, but can't find this issue. The issue is that I can restart my PC few days or hours straight with no issues (the issue is random). but when I click "restart PC" button again, the screen with "Restarting" and the dots will freeze over few seconds. The dots don't spin at all! I gave my PC a hard reset and when the blue windows logo comes up with the spinning dots it just does the same thing. (Dots freezing after few seconds). i can't boot Windows 10 anymore because of this. Windows 10 does boot up in SAFE MODE.

MY SPECS::
Motherboard: M4a78t-e
CPU: AMD phenom II x4 955

Thanks for any reply's

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Do the following (get help as necessary):

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Hopefully something is just loose and once again securely in place the boot failures will end.

If not, look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings preceding restart failures. (Should be viewable via Safe Mode.)

Also, go into BIOS and configure POST to be as verbose as possible. You should be able to see what the boot process is doing (or not doing) during boot up. Determine where the boot process stops "spinning".

May 30, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Do the following (get help as necessary):

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Hopefully something is just loose and once again securely in place the boot failures will end.

If not, look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings preceding restart failures. (Should be viewable via Safe Mode.)

Also, go into BIOS and configure POST to be as verbose as possible. You should be able to see what the boot process is doing (or not doing) during boot up. Determine where the boot process stops "spinning".

I forgot to say that I also have dual boot. (Windows 7 and 10). Windows 7 works perfectly fine. (Have it for few years).

Ralston18

Titan
May 30, 2021
So the problem is only in Window 10 then - correct?

Boot into Windows 10 (full boot or safe mode) - which ever way a successful boot can be achieved.

Try running the built in Windows 10 troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Next try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image
Ive ran Troubleshoot and did:
  1. startup repair (Didn't fix)
  2. Going back to windows system restore point (didn't fix)
  3. Start repair via Windows 10 installation (didn't fix)
  4. SFC (didn't fix)

I wanted to run DISM but somehow I can't run Safe Mode with network. i can run Safe Mode normally which is also strange.

TRENDING THREADS