Question Windows Store Game Crashing After Launch, But Other Windows Store Game Isn't?

z_cook82

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
Howdy y'all, I'm in a bit of an annoying predicament. I bought and downloaded Forza Horizon 4 on my Win10 Gaming computer. It's a beefy build, with good enough specs to run most games on High or Ultra (Ryzen 7 2700X, 16GB 3200MHz RAM, two M.2 drives, AIO, GTX 1070ti, etc). I have never had any issues, until I downloaded my first Windows Store game. When I launch the game, it opens to a stale image logo for FH4, then goes gray, then black, then gray again, then crashes.

I have gone through the following to try and fix this:
-Uninstall and re-install the game (2 hours down the drain, woo!)
-Reset the app
-Updated Windows to the newest build and all drivers
-Ran chkdsk, sfc /scannow, and DISM
*SFC /scannow found and repaired corruption, others were clean
-Restarted the Background Intelligence Transfer Service
-Ran through the Windows Store Troubleshooter
-Reset the Windows Store through CMD
-Re-registered all Windows Store apps through Powershell
-Turned off my Anti-Virus
-Rebooted the machine several times
-Turned off UAC and Ran as Admin
-Ran chkdsk /f /r and rebooted
*This seemed to resolve some disk errors
*Still getting the same result, however
-Used Revo Uninstaller to remove all files, re-installed game

Event Log gives me pretty much no discernable information on the issue or error code. This also only happens on Forza Horizon 4. I'm able to play Phantasy Star Online 2 which I downloaded through the MS Store just fine, and also use all Windows Apps like normal (ie. Calculator, Pictures, etc)(I come across that issue in my job plenty and one of the above steps usually resolves it).

At this point, I'm stuck and at a loss. Anyone have any ideas? I'm trying very, very hard to not have to spend 10+ hours re-installing Windows and getting everything setup and re-installed on this machine.

Jun 25, 2020
When you are installing it, are you using the Windows Store itself to handle the installation? Have you considered trying the Xbox app? I don't know for certain if the store would be causing the problem, but I do know that the Xbox app gives you more control over your installation, and seems to handle games better. It should recognize your purchase, and it will also allow you to pick the install directory, which is great if you're like me and want to keep your games on a dedicated hard drive (like one of those M.2s) instead of taking up 80GBs of space on your C drive.

It technically shouldn't be any different as far as the installation goes, but you've pretty much run the course of all of the major software troubleshooting steps, so it couldn't hurt to try.