Windows "Threshold" Tech Preview Coming Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastGunna

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Might try this on a second HDD, if I like it and its a free upgrade I will do it when the time comes. The free upgrade would be more useful for people like my grand father who is still running XP and wants to upgrade.

ickibar1234

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
Will Explorer support file paths longer than 255 characters? Proper units for storage, showing MiB, GiB, TiB, etc when appropriate instead of just MB, GB, TB, etc?

Shneiky

Distinguished
The world says that a mebibyte is 1048576bytes and a megabyte is 1 000 000.

In my world - megabyte = 1024 kilobytes and a kilobyte is 1024 bytes. Same for my father, my colleagues and well, basically all around me (with exception of some mac fanatics). I wish someone to get rid of MiB, GiB and whatever and just accept "mega" as a x1024. Mega is a human word designed to show a unit of measurement that is on a higher level. Just apply it as a 1024 instead of a 1000. The sense is the same. Would make the world a better place.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
"In my world - megabyte = 1024 kilobytes and a kilobyte is 1024 bytes. Same for my father, my colleagues and well, basically all around me (with exception of some mac fanatics). I wish someone to get rid of MiB, GiB and whatever and just accept "mega" as a x1024. Mega is a human word designed to show a unit of measurement that is on a higher level. Just apply it as a 1024 instead of a 1000. The sense is the same. Would make the world a better place. "

Technically kilo = 1000, mega = 1000000, etc. So, its not wrong when they use 1000 instead of 1024.

Tho i agree, for me, in the computer world, everything will always be a power of 2, 2^10 = kilo 2^20 = mega etc. But, technically its incorrect, tho it makes more sense in the binary world of a computer.

Shneiky

Distinguished
That is not technically - it is linguistically. In human language we use kilo or mega for a power of 10. But also, linguistically, kilo and mega represent a higher tier unit. So, if we "technical" assume to readjust our linguistically proposed terms from human language to computer language or in other sense, just to use it as a higher tier of unit - kilo and mega can be 1024. Funny logic, isn't it ;)

"In my world - megabyte = 1024 kilobytes and a kilobyte is 1024 bytes. Same for my father, my colleagues and well, basically all around me (with exception of some mac fanatics). I wish someone to get rid of MiB, GiB and whatever and just accept "mega" as a x1024. Mega is a human word designed to show a unit of measurement that is on a higher level. Just apply it as a 1024 instead of a 1000. The sense is the same. Would make the world a better place. "

Technically kilo = 1000, mega = 1000000, etc. So, its not wrong when they use 1000 instead of 1024.

Tho i agree, for me, in the computer world, everything will always be a power of 2, 2^10 = kilo 2^20 = mega etc. But, technically its incorrect, tho it makes more sense in the binary world of a computer.

It should be 1024, it's annoying having to constantly look these thing over to see which standard is being used.

Related to the article, I wonder if the new windows is still going to have the mouse/overclock issues that windows 8 has/had. I also wonder if there are other compromises microsoft made to the OS that could affect desktop users.

Roger Crouch

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
Microsoft doesn't actually have anything new here, they're just trying to force a subscription-based OS onto a market that doesn't want one. They've forced Excel, Office et all to monthly subscription already.

Roger Crouch

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
The world says that a mebibyte is 1048576bytes and a megabyte is 1 000 000.

In my world - megabyte = 1024 kilobytes and a kilobyte is 1024 bytes. Same for my father, my colleagues and well, basically all around me (with exception of some mac fanatics). I wish someone to get rid of MiB, GiB and whatever and just accept "mega" as a x1024. Mega is a human word designed to show a unit of measurement that is on a higher level. Just apply it as a 1024 instead of a 1000. The sense is the same. Would make the world a better place.

If you're on an ADSL still (god help your soul) then a Kilobyte is 1272 bytes. The industry has been using the terms more as a scale than as a rating.

Don't be silly they know better than to do that after Windows 8. Can you imagine how many people would then skip windows 9, no they cant afford that. Windows 9 will be what Windows 8 should have been. In fact if this article is true it would fix the only things that piss me off about Windows 8. I'm not saying they don't want to do the whole software subscription with Windows its just Microsoft is to smart to pull it now.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
If the fixes are made... then this is easily what Windows 8 should have been... but still the desktop needs the WIN7 style skin/windows. *I HATE* the boarderless windows - its takes perfect aim to grab the corner and resize the window... how damn stupid is that?!

The flat SKIN style of Windows 8 sucks too.

I'm content to stay with Windows 7 till about 2017 or so and be on Linux.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Sounds like every single thing I can't stand about 8 is being fixed except for power saver kicking in even when disabled and killing my wifi when I'm using it.
And yes, I know to go intro the control panel, into the device manager, find my wireless cards, look at its drivers and pull a 2nd override on power saver killing it.
Still does and it ticks me off and until THIS gets fixed I'm no way using anything above 7.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
So Microsoft is apparently forcing you to subscribe for office applications like excel and word? Are you aware that their standard Office 2013 exists and is the same pay once format that has always existed? I own it, I promise you there's no monthly fee for it.

EDIT: Brilliant job Tom's for completely screwing up your comment software. Apparently it's IMPOSSIBLE to quote a post on a mobile device, even if you switch to desktop version! If anyone knows a way to simply quote a post on a smartphone, please enlighten me, because the "quote" button just does nothing here...

randomizer

Champion
So Microsoft is apparently forcing you to subscribe for office applications like excel and word? Are you aware that their standard Office 2013 exists and is the same pay once format that has always existed? I own it, I promise you there's no monthly fee for it.

Office 2013 has a fixed feature set and will only receive maintenance updates. Office 365 will receive new features on an ongoing basis. Whether those features are useful to you is another story. I'm pretty happy with 2013 myself since it addresses many of the quirks in Excel that annoyed me in all previous versions. Of course there are still plenty of them.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Windows 9 should be free with unlimited installs. Microsoft can still make money on their apps like Office. This will create wider acceptance. If folks want support other than monthly patches then a paid subscription would be good idea. The only caveat would make sense is to limit number of years for free support to say 5. This way the company can continue to focus on improving the OS as time goes on.

This is basically the same model as Linux. Free installs but if you want serious help or support then have to get paid subscription or spend time in the community forums.

I am running Linux Mint 17 and loving the freedom of installing it without worry about licenses. It's a learning curve but after awhile it's not so bad.

KarterJK

Reputable
May 25, 2014
do the MSDN Windows 8.1 Pro include media center?
No, but it allows you to install it. Media Center is a $10.00 add on. RT, 8.0 and 8.1 can't install Media Center, it can only be installed on a Pro version.

Hope that makes sense.

Personally, I am hoping Media Center will be included with Windows 9, if not I doubt I would upgrade.

KarterJK

Reputable
May 25, 2014
Damn it. The one thing I was hoping would stay would be the charms bar. Arg.
I agree it is the only thing I like about Windows 8. I don't know why Microsoft thinks they must always remove something, when revising versions,

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
"... Microsoft is expected to launch Windows 9 “Threshold” to the masses in Spring 2015 and bring a set of improvements that should make life a bit easier for desktop..." It's easier for me to hold the mouse and move the things across the desktop, rather than reach for the monitor across the table to move windows...

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Usually I get attacked for this opinion, glad to see I'm not the only one. I've been bummed about them killing the charms bar since it was first rumored.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
When MS Windows' milestone are about the reintroduction of something so basic like Start button and Start Menu, it really show how much Windows OS had been improved...

It is like an auto manufacturer reintroduce steering wheel and gas/brake pedal to their upcoming 2015 lineup.

The new W8 interface actually works quite well in many ways. For example, open an e-mail with MAIL, click a web link and have IE automatically slide to fill the right side (you can then view as is, fill the screen with IE or drag back to the right).

The PROBLEM with this approach was that it mainly only worked with Microsoft's few programs. If this had caught on it would be awesome unfortunately it's a "chicken and egg" thing; nobody wants to rewrite their software to utilize this unless it's going to succeed...

Status
Not open for further replies.