Windows Update causes startup failure

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

My hopes about that are dashed, then, especially after reading Chauvin's
response! Still, a tech support guy harried to the point of fibbing
surely will ask MS to redouble it's efforts for a timely fix.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

| >I know, I know! But Chauvin says someone said MS said otherwise!
Didn't
| > you read the bottom of his post?
| >

| > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
| > | Under the FAQ section @
| > | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
| > |
| > | "Are Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium
| > | Edition critically affected by any of the vulnerabilities that are
| > | addressed in this security bulletin?
| > | Yes. Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium
| > | Edition are critically affected by this vulnerability. "
| > |
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

| > | > |
> [...]
Windows
| > |
| > |

Someone (in here?) posted that if they open a local page offline,
and then connect they don't blue screen. Have you tried that?
Or just open IE and then connect? I wonder what would happen if you
move it out of runservices and into the startup folder (for
example).

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:ej2RxgHKFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> My hopes about that are dashed, then, especially after reading Chauvin's
> response! Still, a tech support guy harried to the point of fibbing
> surely will ask MS to redouble it's efforts for a timely fix.
>
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> | I believe Rick, but don't know about the "tech support guy". Does
> | he know something that the security or windows update people don't?
> |

> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | >I know, I know! But Chauvin says someone said MS said otherwise!
> Didn't
> | > you read the bottom of his post?
> | >

> | > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> | > |

Star

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Hey PCR Pro,
Star here....
I saw your **OUCH** message, and (2) posts have surfaced, users on dial-up
without problems, double OUCH!!
I listed my running processes in that thread, however you haven't seen it
yet.

Did you see Glee's post... ?

I went to WU, and it comes up for me. I did uninstall it, I had it disabled
initially, and all was well.
However, like I mentioned, personally I did not like it period.... and, if
Microsoft wants to run it as a start-up process for W-98-se, I won't run it
as a continuous running process.

I did disable it and totally uninstall it!!

I was going to disable, and delete from *run services* regisistry
location... and go to the executable, send shortcut to the desktop and
**Run** this as desired by launching myself after IE was running w/web page
loaded.

I **WAS CURIOUS** to do above, but now I can't... however, you can do the
above test since you only have it disabled.

I do above with many applications/software, delete from run services
registry and msconfig, but I have shortcuts to run them myself except for
Pc-cillin.

Star

Bill Blanton wrote:
> Someone (in here?) posted that if they open a local page offline,
> and then connect they don't blue screen. Have you tried that?
> Or just open IE and then connect? I wonder what would happen if you
> move it out of runservices and into the startup folder (for
> example).

Would there be any significance in where it is in Task
Manager? It is second up from the bottom in mine, just after
my SanDisk card reader. And my internet connection
(broadband using DUN) doesn't fire up till right at the end
when my Mailwasher antispam program loads. No problems here
with the update.
Win98SE, ZA free, IE6, Mozilla Firefox, NAV 2003Pro, Spybot
S&D inc teatimer.

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

"Robert M Jones" <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23o0%23DeLKFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Bill Blanton wrote:
>> Someone (in here?) posted that if they open a local page offline,
>> and then connect they don't blue screen. Have you tried that?
>> Or just open IE and then connect? I wonder what would happen if you
>> move it out of runservices and into the startup folder (for
>> example).
>>

> Would there be any significance in where it is in Task Manager? It is second up from the bottom in mine, just after my SanDisk
> card reader. And my internet connection (broadband using DUN) doesn't fire up till right at the end when my Mailwasher antispam
> program loads. No problems here with the update.

I don't know what order Task Manager enumerates processes, or
if it's relevant. My thought was that this kludge of a patch
may simply hook into the loaded kernel and check for valid
parameters before passing it on to the LoadImage function.
Just a guess of course, but it's a strange way to patch the OS.

If it is just hooking the "OS kernel" then maybe loading it later
would have a different effect? Or it may be it would cause it to
be ineffective. Dunno...I don't really advocate doing that, was
just thinking out loud (so to speak) ;)

Tapisrv.exe doesn't show up at Ctrl-Alt-Del, it seems. It will show up
at "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Running Tasks"...

Tapisrv.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows(TM)
Telephony Server C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Tapisrv.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R)
Windows(R) Operating System

....But only after connecting to the NET.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
| Hmm. That is an MS file. Anyway, it is fruitless to guess which file
| KB891711.exe doesn't like. I'm sure MS is diligently working on a fix
by
| now.
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
| | It's not tapisrv.exe. I don't have that, and I had problems with
| | KB891711. Must be dialup. Beth
| |
| | On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:11:51 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
wrote:
| |
| | >Don't look at me: I have at least eight holes in my mouth! So, it
| could
| | >be Tapisrv.exe (Microsoft® Windows(TM) Telephony Server) or
| Rnaapp.exe
| | >(Dial-Up Networking Application) that it doesn't like. Those two
| always
| | >launch after I've connected to the NET. And KB891711.exe does not
| crash
| | >IE working out of TIFs before I've connected. I guess it could also
| be
| | >something like Ptsnoop.exe (the legit one of PCtel, Inc.) that may
| want
| | >to get busier after a connection is made. But that one is in the
| Startup
| | >Group & is there even working out of TIFs offline.
| |

I have a thread going on it, named "KB891711". Here is your permit to
enter it...

Permit one sinner Bill Blanton with ideas into "KB891711".
Signed... PCR.

My experience is described in there. I think I've done most of what you
suggest. I know IE was working out of TIFs, offline before connecting.
Usually, NetZero will honor offline status & ask whether I wanted to go
online while it opens it's home page. Well, perhaps it's IE asking.
HOWEVER, with KB891711.exe running, I don't seem to get that question,
but just the orderly BLOD.

NOW, you make me wonder, can the offline status have been lost, because
perhaps I closed the offline IE window before clicking NetZero? I do
know, having OE open offline causes IE to honor the status. So, fine...

(a) Keep OE open offline
(Usually, that's what I do. Did I that time?)
(b) Fine, open an IE window offline, & keep it open
(Did I that time, or did I close it?)
(c) Click KB891711.exe, which wasn't started this boot
(d) Finally, click my NetZero button.

Prediction: It won't work.
Result: (a), (b), (c) went well. OE works. E works.
IE (TIFs) work. NOW, for (d)... IT CRASHED, quicker!

NetZero crashes at it's second screen, before I can click the Connect
button offered there. It is the same orderly... "A fatal exception 0D
has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...". I "press(ed) any key", & here I am
with all else amazingly working as before.

Now, I'll kill KB891711.exe & go online.

--
| Someone (in here?) posted that if they open a local page offline,
| and then connect they don't blue screen. Have you tried that?
| Or just open IE and then connect? I wonder what would happen if you
| move it out of runservices and into the startup folder (for
| example).

| > My hopes about that are dashed, then, especially after reading
Chauvin's
| > response! Still, a tech support guy harried to the point of fibbing
| > surely will ask MS to redouble it's efforts for a timely fix.
| >
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
| > | I believe Rick, but don't know about the "tech support guy". Does
| > | he know something that the security or windows update people
don't?
| > |
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > Didn't

| > | > |
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
| > | > |
Millennium
Millennium

That is sad, that all Dial-ups do not suffer our fate. However, let us
rejoice. It seems some cable folk do suffer! So, MS must STILL fix the
fix, if enough users are affected, adding us all up.

I anxiously await running into your post. If I haven't seen Glee's, soon
I will. You mean the one where he said a bunch of his Win98's were
affected? That's good. NOW, the MVPs will unite & get us a fix!

That is TREBLY sad that MS STILL has it available at WU! Geeez!

| I was going to disable, and delete from *run services* regisistry
| location... and go to the executable, send shortcut to the desktop and
| **Run** this as desired by launching myself after IE was running w/web
page
| loaded.

I did that in response to Blanton's request elsewhere. It was worse.
NetZero wouldn't even connect. Same BSOD. I closed KB891711.exe, have
not reboot, clicked NetZero again-- & here I am.

--
"Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Hey PCR Pro,
| Star here....
| I saw your **OUCH** message, and (2) posts have surfaced, users on
dial-up
| without problems, double OUCH!!
| I listed my running processes in that thread, however you haven't seen
it
| yet.
|
| Did you see Glee's post... ?
|
| I went to WU, and it comes up for me. I did uninstall it, I had it
disabled
| initially, and all was well.
| However, like I mentioned, personally I did not like it period....
and, if
| Microsoft wants to run it as a start-up process for W-98-se, I won't
run it
| as a continuous running process.
|
| I did disable it and totally uninstall it!!
|
| I was going to disable, and delete from *run services* regisistry
| location... and go to the executable, send shortcut to the desktop and
| **Run** this as desired by launching myself after IE was running w/web
page
| loaded.
|
| I **WAS CURIOUS** to do above, but now I can't... however, you can do
the
| above test since you only have it disabled.
|
| I do above with many applications/software, delete from run services
| registry and msconfig, but I have shortcuts to run them myself except
for
| Pc-cillin.
|
| Star

| > Hmm. That is an MS file. Anyway, it is fruitless to guess which file
| > KB891711.exe doesn't like. I'm sure MS is diligently working on a
fix by
| > now.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
| > | It's not tapisrv.exe. I don't have that, and I had problems with
| > | KB891711. Must be dialup. Beth
| > |
| > | On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:11:51 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
wrote:
| > |
| > could
| > Rnaapp.exe
| > always
| > crash
| > be
| > want
| > Startup
| > |

And here I am online. Never rebooted. All is well-- BUT that little
devil is dead.

--
| I have a thread going on it, named "KB891711". Here is your permit to
| enter it...
|
| Permit one sinner Bill Blanton with ideas into "KB891711".
| Signed... PCR.
|
| My experience is described in there. I think I've done most of what
you
| suggest. I know IE was working out of TIFs, offline before connecting.
| Usually, NetZero will honor offline status & ask whether I wanted to
go
| online while it opens it's home page. Well, perhaps it's IE asking.
| HOWEVER, with KB891711.exe running, I don't seem to get that question,
| but just the orderly BLOD.
|
| NOW, you make me wonder, can the offline status have been lost,
because
| perhaps I closed the offline IE window before clicking NetZero? I do
| know, having OE open offline causes IE to honor the status. So,
fine...

| (a) Keep OE open offline
| (Usually, that's what I do. Did I that time?)
| (b) Fine, open an IE window offline, & keep it open
| (Did I that time, or did I close it?)
| (c) Click KB891711.exe, which wasn't started this boot
| (d) Finally, click my NetZero button.
|
| Prediction: It won't work.
| Result: (a), (b), (c) went well. OE works. E works.
| IE (TIFs) work. NOW, for (d)... IT CRASHED, quicker!
|
| NetZero crashes at it's second screen, before I can click the Connect
| button offered there. It is the same orderly... "A fatal exception 0D
| has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...". I "press(ed) any key", & here I am
| with all else amazingly working as before.
|
| Now, I'll kill KB891711.exe & go online.
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
| | Someone (in here?) posted that if they open a local page offline,
| | and then connect they don't blue screen. Have you tried that?
| | Or just open IE and then connect? I wonder what would happen if you
| | move it out of runservices and into the startup folder (for
| | example).
| |
| | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| | > My hopes about that are dashed, then, especially after reading
| Chauvin's
| | > response! Still, a tech support guy harried to the point of
fibbing
| | > surely will ask MS to redouble it's efforts for a timely fix.
| | >
| | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
Does
| don't?
| | > |
| | > |
| | > Didn't

| | > | > |
| http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
| | > | > |
| Millennium
| are
| Millennium
| |
| |

Star

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

PCR Pro,
I read where you answered Pa Bear about updates in add/remove control
panel.
And, yes Microsoft knows I removed it and it is offered to me again. I just
visited WU minutes ago.

I took KB891711 & KB888113 at the same time, early in the day soon after my
first boot of the day. According to your post to Pa Bear you listed these
updates....

Only KB891711 would show up at MSConfig, but both would show at "Control
Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Install/Uninstall tab"

(a) Windows 98 KB891711 Update (don't have)
(b) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
(c) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
(d) Windows 98 Q888113 Update **doesn't show, restored registry**
(e) Windows 98 Q890175 Update

I uninstalled KB891711 using Control Panel and checked the files that Gary
Terhune listed for the patch, and then I exited to dos and did a scanreg
/restore and restored my registry to my first boot of the day.

OK, WU offers me KB891711 but not KB888113 and I restored the registry. I
don't see KB888113 in add/remove list in control panel (I wouldn't since I
restored the registry). I looked at my log in my WU folder and both updates
show being successful.

What I'm asking is how can WU know.... if I restored the registry, I would
think both updates would be offered to me again, yet I'm offered only
KB891711... ???

Star

> [...]
> |
> | I was going to disable, and delete from *run services* regisistry
> | location... and go to the executable, send shortcut to the desktop and
> | **Run** this as desired by launching myself after IE was running w/web
> page
> | loaded.
> |
> | I **WAS CURIOUS** to do above, but now I can't... however, you can do
> the
> | above test since you only have it disabled.
> |
> | I do above with many applications/software, delete from run services
> | registry and msconfig, but I have shortcuts to run them myself except
> for
> | Pc-cillin.
> |
> | Star
> |
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > Hmm. That is an MS file. Anyway, it is fruitless to guess which file
> | > KB891711.exe doesn't like. I'm sure MS is diligently working on a

GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

"Jluvs2dive" wrote:

> Terry,
> I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the problem.
> The problem starts after applying either the update from MS Bulletin 891711
> or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens at login
> unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or lockups upon
> launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was blue screening at
> login has been rolled back by our backup software. The second user is not
> one of mine and does not have a backup to roll back to. Both systems started
> this behavior after doing the MS updates. I will post again if I can come up
> with a solution for you.
> John
>
> "TerryG" wrote:
>
> > A couple days ago, I received a notification of new updates for Win98 from
> > Windows Update. After I installed these, Windows boots up, but right after
> > starting, I get several blue screens and the machine locks up and is out of
> > memory. All I can do is either run in Safe Mode or DOS. Does anyone know
> > how I can back out the two updates that were applied?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > T.

GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

I started having the same problem - was checking my msconfig startup window
and found that the file KB891711 was now in startup - I removed the check -
restarted my computer no more problems. Sorry about the previous blank
message.

"Jluvs2dive" wrote:

> Terry,
> I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the problem.
> The problem starts after applying either the update from MS Bulletin 891711
> or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens at login
> unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or lockups upon
> launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was blue screening at
> login has been rolled back by our backup software. The second user is not
> one of mine and does not have a backup to roll back to. Both systems started
> this behavior after doing the MS updates. I will post again if I can come up
> with a solution for you.
> John
>
> "TerryG" wrote:
>
> > A couple days ago, I received a notification of new updates for Win98 from
> > Windows Update. After I installed these, Windows boots up, but right after
> > starting, I get several blue screens and the machine locks up and is out of
> > memory. All I can do is either run in Safe Mode or DOS. Does anyone know
> > how I can back out the two updates that were applied?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > T.

(That wasn't to Bear, it was to the OP he was responding to.) So, you DIDN'T uninstall Q888113, but you restored the Registry (after uninstalling KB891711)? Probably RBBAD.cab has the Registry that you want. It is the one that was in effect at the time you did the /Restore. Of course, if you've done another install/uninstall since then, that one would get mussed by taking RBBAD.cab. Do you know how to get RBBAD.cab back? You'd have to...

(a) Rename or move the oldest RBxxx.cab out of "C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP"
(b) Rename RBBAD.cab to the number of the one you moved out
(c) ScanReg /Restore, and take what was RBBAD.cab

OTHERWISE, well, here are the Registry entries you seek. Do you know what to do with these...

.........Start...................
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{3a753dda-02a0-4834-b37c-9d3470a556ce}]
@="Windows 98 Q888113 Update"
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
"Locale"="EN"
"Version"="4.10.0.1998"

.........End.......................

.........Start.....................
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates\W98\UPD888113]
@="Windows 98 Q888113 Update"
"c:\\windows\\SYSTEM\\hlink.dll"="5.2.3790.227"

.........End.......................

.........Start.....................
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\888113]
@=""
"DisplayName"="Windows 98 Q888113 Update"
"UninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\\WINDOWS\\INF\\QFE\\W98\\888113UN.INF"

.........End.......................

--
"Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:113d5hliqtunu46@corp.supernews.com...
> [...]
| > page
| > | loaded.
| >
| > I did that in response to Blanton's request elsewhere. It was worse.
| > NetZero wouldn't even connect. Same BSOD. I closed KB891711.exe, have
| > not reboot, clicked NetZero again-- & here I am.
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | Hey PCR Pro,
| > | Star here....
| > | I saw your **OUCH** message, and (2) posts have surfaced, users on
| > dial-up
| > | without problems, double OUCH!!
| > | I listed my running processes in that thread, however you haven't seen
| > |
| > | Did you see Glee's post... ?
| > |
| > | I went to WU, and it comes up for me. I did uninstall it, I had it
| > disabled
| > | initially, and all was well.
| > | However, like I mentioned, personally I did not like it period....
| > and, if
| > | Microsoft wants to run it as a start-up process for W-98-se, I won't
| > run it
| > | as a continuous running process.
| > |
| > | I did disable it and totally uninstall it!!
| > |
| > | I was going to disable, and delete from *run services* regisistry
| > | location... and go to the executable, send shortcut to the desktop and
| > | **Run** this as desired by launching myself after IE was running w/web
| > page
| > | loaded.
| > |
| > | I **WAS CURIOUS** to do above, but now I can't... however, you can do
| > the
| > | above test since you only have it disabled.
| > |
| > | I do above with many applications/software, delete from run services
| > | registry and msconfig, but I have shortcuts to run them myself except
| > for
| > | Pc-cillin.
| > |
| > | Star
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > fix by

| > | > |
| > wrote:
| > | > |
| > also
| > may
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Star

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Thanks for the registration entries, PCR Pro.
I copied them into Notepad and named the file w/.reg extension and merged
into the Registry (I did 3 separate merges and checked each merge), I now
see KB888113 in Ctl Panel add/remove tab.

WU only offered KB891711 again... doesn't WU get the info from the .xml log
in Windows Update folder, how can I **really be sure I have the KB888113
update** ??? I know I **now have the registration entries again** ??? How
can I verify I have KB888113 ???

Thank you, Star

> [...]

| > page
| > | loaded.
| >
| > I did that in response to Blanton's request elsewhere. It was worse.
| > NetZero wouldn't even connect. Same BSOD. I closed KB891711.exe, have
| > not reboot, clicked NetZero again-- & here I am.
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | Hey PCR Pro,
| > | Star here....
| > | I saw your **OUCH** message, and (2) posts have surfaced, users on
| > dial-up
| > | without problems, double OUCH!!
| > | I listed my running processes in that thread, however you haven't seen
| > |
| > | Did you see Glee's post... ?
| > |
| > | I went to WU, and it comes up for me. I did uninstall it, I had it
| > disabled
| > | initially, and all was well.
| > | However, like I mentioned, personally I did not like it period....
| > and, if
| > | Microsoft wants to run it as a start-up process for W-98-se, I won't
| > run it
| > | as a continuous running process.
| > |
| > | I did disable it and totally uninstall it!!
| > |
| > | I was going to disable, and delete from *run services* regisistry
| > | location... and go to the executable, send shortcut to the desktop and
| > | **Run** this as desired by launching myself after IE was running w/web
| > page
| > | loaded.
| > |
| > | I **WAS CURIOUS** to do above, but now I can't... however, you can do
| > the
| > | above test since you only have it disabled.
| > |
| > | I do above with many applications/software, delete from run services
| > | registry and msconfig, but I have shortcuts to run them myself except
| > for
| > | Pc-cillin.
| > |
| > | Star
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > fix by

| > | > |
| > | > |

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:ePRoiHRKFHA.1812@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I have a thread going on it, named "KB891711". Here is your permit to
> enter it...
>
> Permit one sinner Bill Blanton with ideas into "KB891711".
> Signed... PCR.

Thanks.

> NetZero crashes at it's second screen, before I can click the Connect
> button offered there. It is the same orderly... "A fatal exception 0D
> has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...". I "press(ed) any key", & here I am
> with all else amazingly working as before.

Well, at least it's orderly.

You are welcome. I'm glad I didn't have to explain those Exports. I did
post them in MIME, hoping they would not break when copied to Notepad.
Apparently, they did not. OK, then.

Well, it's a mystery how the site knows whether a thing is installed, as
it may do it differently per critical. It seems, for Q888113, it is
using the obvious one of those Registry keys.

To know whether Q888113 is installed...

(1) Look through the docs...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-015.mspx
Do you have the files & version it may mention?

(2) "START, Run, SFC" after each install/update. It will list the files
that were changed. Mine showed the following for Q888113 & the devil
KB891711...

.....Quote SFCLog.txt...........
[C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM]
hlink.dll Updated 5.0.4513 10/20/00 5.2.3790.22 11/16/04
No
[C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS]
HLINK.DLL Added 5.2.3790.22 11/16/04
[C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711]
KB891711.EXE Added 4.10.2222 2/22/05
Q891711.DLL Added 4.10.2222 2/18/05
.....EOQ............................

Apparently, it didn't catch the .inf files (they each have one).

(3) You could look inside "C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\W98\888113UN.INF". But
you'll need to know .inf-talk. Note it does mention itself & HLINK.DLL.
Here it is...

...........Quote of 888113UN.INF...........
; 888113UN.INF
; This is the Setup information file to uninstall the Windows KB888113
Update:

[version]
AdvancedINF = 2.5, %AdvPackWarn%
signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
DelFiles=WinUPD.delFiles,WinUPD.delINF,WinUPD.Options
delreg=WinUPD.delreg
RenFiles=WinUPD.renFiles
DelDirs=WinUPD.deldir

[DestinationDirs]
WinUPD.delFiles = 11
WinUPD.renFiles = 11
WinUPD.Options = 10,options\cabs
WinUPD.delINF = 17,QFE\%SPKey%

[WinUPD.delFiles]
hlink.dll

[WinUPD.Options]
hlink.dll

[WinUPD.renFiles]
hlink.dll,888113.qfe

[WinUPD.delINF]
888113UN.INF

[WinUPD.deldir]
%17%/qfe/%SPKey%

[WinUPD.delreg]
HKLM,%UpdateKey%\%SPKey%\%LocaleID%%UpdID%\,,,"%UpdName%"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\%GUID%",,,
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%UpdID%",,,

[Strings]
;Non-localizable
LANG= "EN"
LocaleID= "UPD"
Guid= "{3a753dda-02a0-4834-b37c-9d3470a556ce}"
VERSION= "4.10.0.1998"
UpdID= "888113"
UpdateKey= "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates"
SPKey= "W98"

;Localizable strings
UpdName="Windows KB888113 Patch"
AdvPackWarn="You need a newer version of advpack.dll."
SrcDiskName="KB888113 Patch"
.........EOQ...................

--
> [...]
8881
| 13]
| @=""
| "DisplayName"="Windows 98 Q888113 Update"
| "UninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
| C:\\WINDOWS\\INF\\QFE\\W98\\888113UN.INF"
|
| ........End.......................
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| | PCR Pro,
| | I read where you answered Pa Bear about updates in add/remove
control
| | panel.
| | And, yes Microsoft knows I removed it and it is offered to me again.
| |
| | I took KB891711 & KB888113 at the same time, early in the day soon
after
| my
| | first boot of the day. According to your post to Pa Bear you listed
these
| | updates....
| |
| | Only KB891711 would show up at MSConfig, but both would show at
"Control
| | Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Install/Uninstall tab"
| |
| | (a) Windows 98 KB891711 Update (don't have)
| | (b) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
| | (c) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
| | (d) Windows 98 Q888113 Update **doesn't show, restored registry**
| | (e) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
| |
| | I uninstalled KB891711 using Control Panel and checked the files
that Gary
| | Terhune listed for the patch, and then I exited to dos and did a
scanreg
| | /restore and restored my registry to my first boot of the day.
| |
| | OK, WU offers me KB891711 but not KB888113 and I restored the
registry. I
| | don't see KB888113 in add/remove list in control panel (I wouldn't
since I
| | restored the registry). I looked at my log in my WU folder and both
| updates
| | show being successful.
| |
| | What I'm asking is how can WU know.... if I restored the registry,
| would
| | think both updates would be offered to me again, yet I'm offered
only
| | KB891711... ???
| |
| | Star
| |
| |
| | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| | > That is sad, that all Dial-ups do not suffer our fate. However,
let us
| | > rejoice. It seems some cable folk do suffer! So, MS must STILL fix
the
| | > fix, if enough users are affected, adding us all up.
| | >
| | > I anxiously await running into your post. If I haven't seen
Glee's, soon
| | > I will. You mean the one where he said a bunch of his Win98's were
| | > affected? That's good. NOW, the MVPs will unite & get us a fix!
| | >
| | > That is TREBLY sad that MS STILL has it available at WU! Geeez!

| | > page
| | >
| | > I did that in response to Blanton's request elsewhere. It was
worse.
| | > NetZero wouldn't even connect. Same BSOD. I closed KB891711.exe,
have
| | > not reboot, clicked NetZero again-- & here I am.
| | >
| | > --
| | > Thanks or Good Luck,
| | > There may be humor in this post, and,
| | > Naturally, you will not sue,
| | > should things get worse after this,
| | > PCR
| | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | > "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| | > dial-up
| | > it
| | > |
| | > |
| | > disabled
| | > and, if
| | > run it
| | > |
| | > |
| | > page
| | > |
| | > the
| | > |
| | > for
| | > |
| | > |
| | > fix by

| | > | > |
<pcrrcp@netzero.net>
| | > wrote:
| | > | > |
So, it
Those two
| | > also
that
| | > may
| | > | > |

| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |

Star

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Oh.... Good, thanks!! (see below)
> You are welcome. I'm glad I didn't have to explain those Exports. I did
> post them in MIME, hoping they would not break when copied to Notepad.
> Apparently, they did not. OK, then.
>
> Well, it's a mystery how the site knows whether a thing is installed, as
> it may do it differently per critical. It seems, for Q888113, it is
> using the obvious one of those Registry keys.
>
> To know whether Q888113 is installed...
>
> (1) Look through the docs...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-015.mspx
> Do you have the files & version it may mention?

** I did look for the files to be listed, and I looked & looked, followed
links, but couldn't find any listing.

> (2) "START, Run, SFC" after each install/update. It will list the files
> that were changed. Mine showed the following for Q888113 & the devil
> KB891711...

PCR, I'm lost w/SFC.... I have tried to figure it out, I can restore files
from OS cd, and therefore it is useful.
(see below)

> ....Quote SFCLog.txt...........
> [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM]
> hlink.dll Updated 5.0.4513 10/20/00 5.2.3790.22 11/16/04

**Yes, have this file in above location, w/date same as yours
> No
> [C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS]
> HLINK.DLL Added 5.2.3790.22 11/16/04

**OK, have above file HLINK.DLL in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

** So, really NO files were added, HLink.dll was updated and it was added to
another location and that's it ??

> [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711]
> KB891711.EXE Added 4.10.2222 2/22/05
> Q891711.DLL Added 4.10.2222 2/18/05

** Don't have the above of course, after the uninstall it left an empty
folder and I trashed it too!!

> ....EOQ............................
>
> Apparently, it didn't catch the .inf files (they each have one).
>
> (3) You could look inside "C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\W98\888113UN.INF". But
> you'll need to know .inf-talk. Note it does mention itself & HLINK.DLL.
> Here it is...

** YES, I do have the INF file, yeah!! I didn't think of a .inf.... but I'm
learning. I could actually re-install from the .inf file ? But, I'm OK!!

** I guess Windows UD has a way... like I said, it wasn't offered to me, and
I restored the Registry, somehow I think that's odd. The .xml log says,
"both were successful and so does not my History at WU.... they know I don't
have the devel anymore.

Thats PCR Pro, maybe you can help me understand & work w/SFC sometime!!

Star

> [...]
> | | I uninstalled KB891711 using Control Panel and checked the files
> that Gary
> | | Terhune listed for the patch, and then I exited to dos and did a
> scanreg
> | | /restore and restored my registry to my first boot of the day.
> | |
> | | OK, WU offers me KB891711 but not KB888113 and I restored the
> registry. I
> | | don't see KB888113 in add/remove list in control panel (I wouldn't
> since I
> | | restored the registry). I looked at my log in my WU folder and both
> | updates
> | | show being successful.
> | |
> | | What I'm asking is how can WU know.... if I restored the registry,
> | would
> | | think both updates would be offered to me again, yet I'm offered

Oh, sure, you are welcome! Right, but it was WORSE than normal. My prior
experience (when booting with KB891711.exe in the Startup Group) was
that NetZero WOULD connect, & I could use OE online. Just, as NetZero
tried to open it's home page, IE would BSOD in an orderly manner. Also,
every attempt to use IE would do the same. Close KB891711.exe at any
time, & IE would work. OK, then. I'm torn between further
experimentation or vowing to do my taxes. OK, bye.

--

| Oh.... Good, thanks!! (see below)
| > You are welcome. I'm glad I didn't have to explain those Exports. I
did
| > post them in MIME, hoping they would not break when copied to
Notepad.
| > Apparently, they did not. OK, then.
| >
| > Well, it's a mystery how the site knows whether a thing is
installed, as
| > it may do it differently per critical. It seems, for Q888113, it is
| > using the obvious one of those Registry keys.
| >
| > To know whether Q888113 is installed...
| >
| > (1) Look through the docs...
| > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-015.mspx
| > Do you have the files & version it may mention?
|
| ** I did look for the files to be listed, and I looked & looked,
followed
| links, but couldn't find any listing.

Oooo, you're right! Those BUMS listed the files for three OS, but none
of them was Win98! We are 2nd class citizens, now-- us & WinME.

| > (2) "START, Run, SFC" after each install/update. It will list the
files
| > that were changed. Mine showed the following for Q888113 & the devil
| > KB891711...
|
| PCR, I'm lost w/SFC.... I have tried to figure it out, I can restore
files
| from OS cd, and therefore it is useful.

"START, Run, SFC"
However, this tool needs a priming, which basically means to accept all
current changes. The "Settings", especially "Search Criteria", may need
adjusting. You may look through the log, C:\Windows\SFCLOG.TXT, to see
what it's done. Also, there is a certain amount of confusion involved
with it, under the best of circumstances. For one thing, certain files
will always seem to have changed. For another, it does not well handle
version numbers greater than 11 characters.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q185836
System File Checker
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q188186
SFC baseline
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q192832
SFC extracts wrong file
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180465&Product=w98
Error Message: The File Was Not Found. Verify That You Have Selected the
Correct 'Restore from' Location and Try Again
http://www.westelcom.com/users/rogersr/sfc.htm SFC use & problems
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html SFC use & problems

| (see below)
| >
| > ....Quote SFCLog.txt...........
| > [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM]
| > hlink.dll Updated 5.0.4513 10/20/00 5.2.3790.22
11/16/04

| **Yes, have this file in above location, w/date same as yours

That one came from Q888113. (W2K & XP also got Whlink.dll, looks like,
from that URL, but not us.) It appears...

"START, Run, QFECheck"

....will also show this file for UPD888113 under W98. That's really a
good place to look.

| > No
| > [C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS]
| > HLINK.DLL Added 5.2.3790.22
11/16/04

| **OK, have above file HLINK.DLL in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

Uhuh. You know, I moved those .cab's to E:\, BUT SFC is still going to
C:\ for that. I'll have to search my Registry again... rats, it isn't
there! I guess, soon, I must go click those SFC URLs I've just posted to
you.

| ** So, really NO files were added, HLink.dll was updated and it was
added to
| another location and that's it ??

That's by SFC, the way I've got it set. We do know there was an .inf
that SFC seems to be unaware of, although my search criteria includes
"C:\Windows". I'll have to investigate!

| > [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711]
| > KB891711.EXE Added 4.10.2222
2/22/05
| > Q891711.DLL Added 4.10.2222
2/18/05

| ** Don't have the above of course, after the uninstall it left an
empty
| folder and I trashed it too!!

Very good. In the end, I'll do that too.

| > ....EOQ............................
| >
| > Apparently, it didn't catch the .inf files (they each have one).
| >
| > (3) You could look inside "C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\W98\888113UN.INF". But
| > you'll need to know .inf-talk. Note it does mention itself &
HLINK.DLL.
| > Here it is...
|
| ** YES, I do have the INF file, yeah!! I didn't think of a .inf....
but I'm
| learning. I could actually re-install from the .inf file ? But, I'm
OK!!

You're OK, having taken the .reg's. I thought of the .inf. But... I
guess... it will uninstall (instead of install) those Registry entries.
I'm sure there's a way to fix it to do the reverse-- but I don't know
how!

| ** I guess Windows UD has a way... like I said, it wasn't offered to
me,

I seem to recall WU had a way to uninstall some of the updates, but I
haven't seen it there in quite a while.

| and
| I restored the Registry, somehow I think that's odd.

Well, I'm not a great fan of that. And your experience this time is a
prime reason why. It can easily undo more than one bargains for. It
would have worked, I guess, if only one update was involved.

| The .xml log says,
| "both were successful and so does not my History at WU.... they know I
don't
| have the devel anymore.

As the site still offers that little devil, you are OK, no matter what
the History says.

| Thats PCR Pro, maybe you can help me understand & work w/SFC
sometime!!

You are welcome. Well, go read those URLs. If you have any further
questions, I guess I'll go read them too.

| Star
| >
| > ..........Quote of 888113UN.INF...........
| > ; 888113UN.INF
| > ; This is the Setup information file to uninstall the Windows
KB888113
| > Update:
| >
| > [version]
| > AdvancedINF = 2.5, %AdvPackWarn%
| > signature=$CHICAGO$
| >
| > [DefaultInstall]
| > DelFiles=WinUPD.delFiles,WinUPD.delINF,WinUPD.Options
| > delreg=WinUPD.delreg
| > RenFiles=WinUPD.renFiles
| > DelDirs=WinUPD.deldir
| >
| > [DestinationDirs]
| > WinUPD.delFiles = 11
| > WinUPD.renFiles = 11
| > WinUPD.Options = 10,options\cabs
| > WinUPD.delINF = 17,QFE\%SPKey%
| >
| > [WinUPD.delFiles]
| > hlink.dll
| >
| > [WinUPD.Options]
| > hlink.dll
| >
| > [WinUPD.renFiles]
| > hlink.dll,888113.qfe
| >
| > [WinUPD.delINF]
| > 888113UN.INF
| >
| > [WinUPD.deldir]
| > %17%/qfe/%SPKey%
| >
| > [WinUPD.delreg]
| > HKLM,%UpdateKey%\%SPKey%\%LocaleID%%UpdID%\,,,"%UpdName%"
| > HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\%GUID%",,,

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%UpdID%",,,

| > [Strings]
| > ;Non-localizable
| > LANG= "EN"
| > LocaleID= "UPD"
| > Guid= "{3a753dda-02a0-4834-b37c-9d3470a556ce}"
| > VERSION= "4.10.0.1998"
| > UpdID= "888113"
| > UpdateKey= "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates"
| > SPKey= "W98"
| >

| > ;Localizable strings
| > UpdName="Windows KB888113 Patch"
| > AdvPackWarn="You need a newer version of advpack.dll."
| > SrcDiskName="KB888113 Patch"
| > ........EOQ...................
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
....snip

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net

Brian,

I have DSL and had the same problems. I had to uninstall and then delete
the subdirectory to get everything back in working order. I have McAfee
virus protection and firewall. Don't know if that has any impact, but every
bit of info may help.

Bobbii

"Brian A." wrote:

> Pure cable and no problem. Dial up may be the common denominator, don't
> know and can't say. Many users are up in arms over the issue, yet getting
> info is like pulling teeth.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> > You don't have dial-up, then? Do you have the problem with KB891711.exe?
> > Do you know whether it crashes only dial-up machines?
> >

> > --
> > Thanks or Good Luck,
> > There may be humor in this post, and,
> > Naturally, you will not sue,
> > should things get worse after this,
> > PCR
> > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> > | Not all, I'm always connected.
> > |
> > | --
> > |
> > | Brian A.
> > |
> > | Conflicts start where information lacks.
> > | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > |

> > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

> > there
> > for
> > | > |
> > | > |
> > | > |
> > | > |
> > | > |
> > | > |
> > | > |
> > | > |
> > just
> > other

> > Q891711.dll

> > files

> > own
> > with

> > I'd
> > startup

> > heard
> > problem.

> > in
> > confirm
> > MS
> > blue
> > that
> > backup to

> > and

> > | > |

As you all know by now, KB891711 is the culprit. Since my earlier posts I
have confirmed at least 4 different issues all related to that stupid patch
that starts a new process that runs all the time. Get a clue MS, Windows
does not need any more processes running by default. It's fat enough
already. For now I have removed the registry entry that starts KB891711.exe
in the run services key until MS has a fix. Doing either this or using
MSConfig keeps Windows Update from wanting to reinstall it.

The 4 issues I have personally seen are;
Blue screen at login.
Blue screen when opening a web browser, doesn't seem to matter which one.
Blue screen when opening an .pdf file attachment in an Outlook email.
Blue screen when trying to send an email from Outlook.

Do you think they did any testing on this one before releasing this one? :eek:(

John

"GP" wrote:

> I started having the same problem - was checking my msconfig startup window
> and found that the file KB891711 was now in startup - I removed the check -
> restarted my computer no more problems. Sorry about the previous blank
> message.
>
> "Jluvs2dive" wrote:
>
> > Terry,
> > I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the problem.
> > The problem starts after applying either the update from MS Bulletin 891711
> > or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens at login
> > unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or lockups upon
> > launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was blue screening at
> > login has been rolled back by our backup software. The second user is not
> > one of mine and does not have a backup to roll back to. Both systems started
> > this behavior after doing the MS updates. I will post again if I can come up
> > with a solution for you.
> > John
> >
> > "TerryG" wrote:
> >
> > > A couple days ago, I received a notification of new updates for Win98 from
> > > Windows Update. After I installed these, Windows boots up, but right after
> > > starting, I get several blue screens and the machine locks up and is out of
> > > memory. All I can do is either run in Safe Mode or DOS. Does anyone know
> > > how I can back out the two updates that were applied?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > T.

That's about the size of it. Turn it off & wait patiently. Don't click
many strange URLs, as the vulnerability depends upon malicious site
participation. Don't read posts in HTML. Update your virus checker. Say
a prayer of between 7 & 18 words before turning on the computer.

--
| As you all know by now, KB891711 is the culprit. Since my earlier
posts I
| have confirmed at least 4 different issues all related to that stupid
patch
| that starts a new process that runs all the time. Get a clue MS,
Windows
| does not need any more processes running by default. It's fat enough
| already. For now I have removed the registry entry that starts
KB891711.exe
| in the run services key until MS has a fix. Doing either this or
using
| MSConfig keeps Windows Update from wanting to reinstall it.
|
| The 4 issues I have personally seen are;
| Blue screen at login.
| Blue screen when opening a web browser, doesn't seem to matter which
one.
| Blue screen when opening an .pdf file attachment in an Outlook email.
| Blue screen when trying to send an email from Outlook.
|
| Do you think they did any testing on this one before releasing this
one? :eek:(

| John
|
| "GP" wrote:
|
| > I started having the same problem - was checking my msconfig startup
window
| > and found that the file KB891711 was now in startup - I removed the
check -
| > restarted my computer no more problems. Sorry about the previous
blank
| > message.
| >
| > "Jluvs2dive" wrote:
| >
| > > Terry,
| > > I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the
problem.
| > > The problem starts after applying either the update from MS
Bulletin 891711
| > > or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens
at login
| > > unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or
lockups upon
| > > launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was blue
screening at
| > > login has been rolled back by our backup software. The second
user is not
| > > one of mine and does not have a backup to roll back to. Both
systems started
| > > this behavior after doing the MS updates. I will post again if I
can come up
| > > with a solution for you.
| > > John

Win98 from

I've received a request from the team that's working on the
KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had problems
with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not yet
received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than has
been reported thus far.

(According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to just
uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before journeying
out onto the internet.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"TerryG" <TerryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A couple days ago, I received a notification of new updates for Win98 from
> Windows Update. After I installed these, Windows boots up, but right
after
> starting, I get several blue screens and the machine locks up and is out
of
> memory. All I can do is either run in Safe Mode or DOS. Does anyone know
> how I can back out the two updates that were applied?
>
> Thanks,
>
> T.

See Don Kirkpatrick's reply to me on this issue. As I suspected, the
right hand still doesn't know what the left hand is doing at Microsoft.
I'd hold off on directly calling MS on this issue until this gets
straightened out.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> I've received a request from the team that's working on the
> KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had
problems
> with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
> them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
> problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not
yet
> received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than
has
> been reported thus far.
>
> (According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
> were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to just
> uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
> affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
> patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before
journeying
> out onto the internet.)
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "TerryG" <TerryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > A couple days ago, I received a notification of new updates for
Win98 from
> > Windows Update. After I installed these, Windows boots up, but
right
> after
> > starting, I get several blue screens and the machine locks up and is
out
> of
> > memory. All I can do is either run in Safe Mode or DOS. Does
anyone know
> > how I can back out the two updates that were applied?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > T.

The latest from MS:

"Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows
98,
Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
confirm these reports and are currently working on a resolution.

"Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware
of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in
MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
PCSAFETY."

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User