Windows Update Has Been Failing Since June

jitter1127

Honorable
Sep 23, 2014
Hello,
I am working on my neighbors computer and I can not get windows update to work. Looking at his update logs it has not updated windows since June 2017. It is stuck on version 1607 14393.1358 . I have tried numerous solutions and the updates keep failing. Here is what I tried so far.

1. Windows media creation tool from flash drive
2. manually downloading and trying to install updated from the windows software catalog. For example I tried to install KB4022723 which is the next build up (1378). It said it was not appropriate for my windows. Then I tried the last update from 1607 it failed. I finally tried the 1709 build and it also failed.
3. I have tried the windows update assistant it returns errors after downloading.
4. I have reset windows update using a script that does the following
Removes the older Windows update Folders, where the updates are downloaded.Newer ones are created automatically.
Re-registers the Windows update Files.
Resets your network connection and BITS service.
5. After the script I did a clean boot and tried the update service again and still the same problems.

I have no idea what to do or try anymore?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

jitter1127

Honorable
Sep 23, 2014
Error I am getting from the media creation thing just says "something went wrong" System spec is a Lenovo laptop older i3 with 8GB ram. As for the other errors I do not remember the specific code. I did look them up yesterday but did not help at all.

I thought the media creation tool automatically gets the latest iso and what not. I am trying to do an inplace upgrade again with that currently.

jitter1127

Honorable
Sep 23, 2014
I am trying to just download the iso now. I did the power shell command to generate the windows update log and it was riddled with 0x8000ffff errors. (This was a failed upgrade through the media creation tool). It went through the whole process said it was installing. I know it finished at least half way then said windows update failed.