Question Windows Update? How to fix?

taylor1277

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
So I had a hard drive failure, and took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, please don't laugh. Anyway, they said they updated Windows to current. Funny because now when I try to update Windows it seems as though it isn't updating. Oh and on that page it says that Windows was never updated. but then looking at this clip that am including, after I just ran the tool it says no updates are available. only thing is I took the system to Best Buy over two weeks ago, at least that. Take or give. And there hasn't been any updates since then? So how do I make sure Windows Update is actually working. I don't want to take the chance that it isn't working and delete an update, maybe making matters worse.

( Windows 8.1 .64, Acer E5-511P. Please ask if you need any additional info, if needed. Will get for you ASAP.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
open the start menu and type in control panel.

Then change the view from category to icons.

Go to programs and features.

on the left you'll see blue text for "view installed updates"

Then look at the latest updates that were installed and when they were installed.

Take a screenshot for me if you can.
Preferably just a snapshot of the control panel window itself using the snipping tool.

Then upload that snapshot to https://postimages.org and post the image here.

taylor1277

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
So I am getting Windows to update found an article online and I am going to copy and paste it here, but how do I resolve this issue, to me it seems nothing more than something Microsoft is doing to push people into using win 10.

Rohit, thank you for the suggestion. Your Method 1 was a point in the right direction. For anyone else experiencing this problem, the conflict was with "Windows Module Installer," which is the parent process that calls TrustedInstaller.exe. I'm not a Microsoft tech, but for my situation I recommend the following: 1) Run msconfig.exe as administrator. 2) Under Services, deselect Windows Module Installer. Apply and reboot. 3) Windows Update now runs. Download and install any updates. However, other software updates and installations may not run anymore. Therefore: 4) Leave Windows Update set NOT to check for updates automatically. 5) Run msconfig.exe again and reselect Windows Module Installer. Apply and reboot. 6) Set yourself a reminder to run Windows Update periodically by following these same steps. Note that this is a workaround, not a solution.

So my other question now is do I have set and reset this each time I want to update windows?

TRENDING THREADS