Windows update is breaking my laptop!

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
hi everyone
now then, when Windows 8.1 updates itself, there's this bluetooth driver marked as an "important" update, and is installed automatically. Bluetooth works fine after the update, but if i shut down the laptop completely (restarts work fine!) and then turn it back on, bluetooth stops working.
Event log has 3 relevant entries as follows:-

*1> The description for Event ID 26 from source BtFilter cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

*2>A command sent to the adapter has timed out. The adapter did not respond.

*3>The local Bluetooth adapter has failed in an undetermined manner and will not be used. The driver has been unloaded.

I system restored, and everything is working ok now. But why's Windows Update doing this? :(

Solution
Hi

It is rare for driver updates to be considered important.
You should leave Windows updates on (with this bluetooth update disabled).
With new virus & malware arriving all the time you do not want to get infected because the updates were not installed

I use Secunia PSI to inform me if other (non Microsoft) programs need updating.
This is free for non business users (does not work on a domain to enforce this point)

Its only current bug is that it thinks MS XML 4 needs updating when this only applies to XP

Sorry I have no experience with Disk Cleanup failing so can not help you

regards
Mike Barnes
Hi

If you do a manual update you can usually tell Windows update not to install a particular update so disable this bluetooth update.
You may have to turn off Windows update auto downloading & installing until problem is fixed

[You can tell Windows update not to install a particular update this time or never install it.]

See if laptop manufacturer has a specific bluetooth update for your model & try that.

If have Windows 8.1 + updates (except bluetooth) & bluetooth devices continue working this update is not needed

Why is Windows installer installing an incompatible device driver?
unfortunately this is quite common and can cause severe problems.

regards

Mike Barnes

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014

Thanks Mike :)
I have every update except the bluetooth, and bluetooth devices work fine without this update. The laptop is a HP ProBook, and the I have the latest bluetooth driver available on the HP website installed. The one that Windows Update is downloading, in not available on the HP website. I've selected the option to "never install this update" in windows update. But I'm now scared to keep automatic updates turned on! What if Windows decides to download some other incompatible stuff and break something else!!
I have another problem with windows update, maybe you can help me with..
when I run disk cleanup, it finds 755MB in "Windows updates cleanup". I check it and it completes fine.
But then i run disk cleanup again, it again finds 755MB in "Windows updates cleanup". So it's not really cleaning up these files i guess.
I've tried the "Troubleshoot" thing in control panel, it says it fixed two problems (1.Potential database error, 2.Rebuild Windows update components). But then I ran disk cleanup again, the 755MB is still there, and not being deleted, no matter how many times i clean up and restart and clean up. I disabled system restore thinking these files might be trapped in some restore point, but didn't fix the problem. Any thoughts on what's going on? Thanks :)

Hi

It is rare for driver updates to be considered important.
You should leave Windows updates on (with this bluetooth update disabled).
With new virus & malware arriving all the time you do not want to get infected because the updates were not installed

I use Secunia PSI to inform me if other (non Microsoft) programs need updating.
This is free for non business users (does not work on a domain to enforce this point)

Its only current bug is that it thinks MS XML 4 needs updating when this only applies to XP

Sorry I have no experience with Disk Cleanup failing so can not help you

regards
Mike Barnes

Solution

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014

Mike thanks, it's just 755MB not being deleted, I can live with it, not a big deal, all my data are in external drives and ms skydrive, and for the 500 GB internal drive, except for my installed software, a few work files (documents) and about 20GB of MP3s, there's nothing in there :)
I'm subscribed to HP download alerts, and got an email this afternoon that a new bluetooth driver is available. Downloaded and installed it, and bluetooth works perfectly even after this update :)
I selected the "restore hidden updates" option, hoping Windows will not ask me to update any more as I now have a very new driver. Strangely, it keeps asking me to download some other bluetooth driver, and every time i install this Windows Update driver, bluetooth inevitably breaks :p
I have once again selected the option to "hide update", and for the time being at least, Windows Update is not asking me to download it, and my bluetooth devices are working fine with the HP official update.
Is there a way to report this issue to Microsoft? Not everybody who use this laptop model will post or look for solutions in geek forums, they will probably return the laptop to HP and go thru all the hassle. If Microsoft knew about this, they could help a lot of headaches.
WU_zps7de4dcb9.jpg