Discussion Windows Vista has had the most elegant, polished and beautiful user interface ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
I don't care about new UI theories which have been used basically everywhere. The design peak happened at that time with the introduction of Windows Vista plus Windows Aero and has not been repeated again.

Things such as flat design, gray icons, simplistic animations, no transparency effects, in my humble opinion, have ruined design advancement and I'm sick and tired of 'em.
But don't get me wrong. Overusing 3D-icons or adding inharmonious colors would not make a good design either.

Wish it were the old days of using Vista. :'(

Last edited:
I can't lie, I always did like Vista, and I never had issues like a lot of people did, but I also had a system that exceeded the requirements by a lot, But I did work on a lot of computers that came with vista that had 1gb of ram, and the slowest HDD they could find, That was not fun telling some customers that they need to go back to XP for speed, and then trying to find drivers for a computer not meant for XP, I don't miss them days, Im spoiled now lol

Feb 2, 2024
Windows XP was were I reached the pinnacle of organization, having my desktop filled with shortcuts and folders and appropriate shortcuts on taskbar and quick access. No windows has since then improved on this basic formula, and thats why i couldn't care less about 11, because it adds absolutely no advantage for me apart from bloat and spying. Changing the taskbar is so laughable as they are really reaching.
Vista was only "bad" because people tried to run it on systems with 1GB ram, at the time my system had 2GB and I disabled alot of stuff. And at start up it used around 800ish MB. Thats with a tonne of programs and high end games installed.
I'm not one for praising windows, because well, its windows. But Vista for me clearly reached the pinnicle in terms of looks and explorer layout, even better than 7. There are some dozen things related to explorer (like the quality of folder thumbnails, how large images display) that are objectively better in Vista than the nightmare that is 10 and 11.
During my recent transition to my new win10 machine I had an unbelievable urge to go back to my 17year old vista machine because explorer in Vista is clearly better, despite it being slow due to slow SSD's (they were updated later on) and limited to 3.2GB ram/using page files. Win10 has annoying explorer issues that largely negate the advantage of the super fast SSD's and power in alot of things Im doing like ultra large photo work. One of 10's truly ugly practices is it won't allow under any circumstances to arrange files in a free open way like vista easily allowed. That's is called de-evolution, the hardware gets more powerful and the software gets more bloated and nasty. I want Vista back!!!
My old 2004 vista machine (which I still got) was a fully mecced out unit, it had a 512MB Radeon GPU running 1600x1200 LCD display with creative 5.1 surround sound and sub woofer, despite that, the frame rate in Far Cry Freighter dropped to 26fps at times. Then I upgraded to Dell's 30" non widescreen 2048x1500. The last GPU officially supported on Vista was the GTX 970.

I really miss Vista, I really wish there was a way to bring in back.

Status
Not open for further replies.