Windows Won't Boot (Driver issue)

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
I installed a new SATA & RAID driver on my install of Windows 8, but on the next boot it wouldn't start.
So now what I'm wondering is, if it's possible to replace the bad driver with a default, working driver, or perhaps even one that I know will work? And if so, how would I go about doing that. (Re-installation is not a huge concern, but I would prefer to avoid it)

Thanks in advance. :D

Boot from your Installation Media or Recovery Drive (If you created one!) and chose 'Repair your Computer'
This will take you to the Advanced Startup Options where you can try various tactics to get your machine to boot. You could try Automatic Repair in Advanced Options or Refresh which is less harsh than your ultimate option which is reset or re-install...

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013

I've tried using Bootup repair a few times, but to no avail -- it gave me a log that kindly reminded me that it was a driver issue. I also tried recovery, but two backups didn't work, and before I had a chance to try the third, they all decided to disappear. Now the problem is that a refresh is just as bad to me as a Re-install, since all of my personal files are on separate drives, so it's not doing me any favors there. (Also, I backed up my programs, or at least the install directories with most program data on one of those drives)

And unfortunately, I have no backup drives, since A) I can't really afford any, and B) I've only had this install running for a few months.

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013

I've desperately tried that, but I can't quite seem to use the "shift+F8" combination to get it up, though it may be my keyboard, since the F-keys are disabled until I press F-lock, and I apparently can't force it as default.

By the way, it has a BSOD that says "Inaccessible_Boot_Device"

You can get into Safe Mode by booting from your Install Disk and going down the Repair/Troubleshoot/Advanced Options Route.
Inaccessible_Boot etc. is confirmation that, indeed, your HDD Drivers need to be re-installed. Once in Safe Mode you should be able to 'Roll-Back' the drivers in Device Manager.
F8 or Shift + F8 is notoriously difficult route to Safe Mode!

bazbazan

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Try Emergency Boot CD. This tool is useful to detect and fix various boot problems, fix boot records and active partition flags, reassign and fix missing drive letters, change disk signatures and GUIDs, etc.
http://www.prime-expert.com/ebcd/

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013

Thank you for the suggestion, but I already have two perfectly fine boot disks, being Hiren's BootCD and Ultimate Boot CD. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, neither have any option to force boot Windows into Safe Mode or replace or uninstall drivers on a non-booting install.

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013

I had looked for an option in there to do so before, but thus far have found nothing of the sort.
I figured as much, since I can access the drives (Raid 0 array) with other operating systems (Linux and other Windows installations) but wanted to see if adding that detail could help any. :)

Should have been more explicit! In Advanced Options there's an option to restart the PC in different modes, one of which is Safe Mode...

L5bSyoQ.png

UwQ7CWO.png

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013

Unfortunately for me, two of those options are unavailable, being the UEFI Firmware settings and Windows Startup Settings. Could this because I'm using an LGA 775 board, ergo I do not have UEFI and am only using legacy BIOS? Or are the Startup Settings tied to that at all?

UEFI settings won't be available if you're using Legacy BIOS, but I don't understand why the Startup Options are missing... seems that the options are only available when Troubleshooting is accessed from Normal Mode! Daft. However, you can use the Command Prompt on the Options screen as follows...

Safe Mode:

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal

Safe Mode with Networking:

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network

Safe Mode with Command Prompt:

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal
bcdedit /set {default} safebootalternateshell yes

Press Enter to execute the Commands, (twice for Safe Mode with CMD prompt)

Close CMD Prompt and then Continue to restart Windows in Safe Mode.

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013

I've tried this before, and it unfortunately didn't work, even after trying it again, but this time with minimal boot. Could it be because I have two partitions on the Raid array -- "system reserved" and the main windows partition?

I also have a program, FixIDE, that says it will uninstall SATA drivers and force IDE drivers in, but I'm worried that may cause problems with it being RAID, so I'm considering this my second to last option, unless anyone knows whether or not it affects the RAID drivers.

Hmmm! Found a thread which contains a Registry Hack to toggle IDE and RAID drivers, not much use when you can't boot at all! However, seems it is possible to edit the Registry from the CMD prompt, might be worth a try.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/27565-63-booting-raid
This article discusses CMD prompt possibilities, seems you can launch regedit.exe which could be useful if you want to try changing those values as suggested in the Tom's thread...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013

Thank you for all of the help! :D
I've got it booted now. It booted Safe Mode perfectly, but it was only after I let Windows try to repair it and give me the screen that told me where the log was. I had the option to go to the "advanced options" menu where I found the Startup Options box. But this is where it gets strange to me. The drivers seem to be fine, but I had to select the option, "8) Disable early launch anti-malware protection" for it to boot and now I'm a bit worried to shut it off.

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013

Well, I did re-install the nforce drivers -- which contain network and Storage drivers, but it still has trouble booting, despite this.

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013

Scratch that, it boots just fine now, so thank you, again. You have been a lot of help. :D

Now I just have to see about fixing the fact that it won't shutdown when I press the power button. XD

:)

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013

Thank you for the anti-windows response; I already have Ubuntu computers, but Linux, as of now, doesn't have as wide a selection of games -- so my steam library would be for naught, and the majority of my interactions are with PC users. (I am basically all of my friends' tech support.)

Also, I personally prefer Windows, despite its many issues.
(Lastly, I appreciate that you seemingly put the effort to make an account just to post this answer? I feel honored that you would do that for me.)