[SOLVED] Windows won't boot with Radeon Drivers installed

Mar 2, 2022
Hi. I'm having a really weird problem and I can't find the solution or the explanation at least...
Suddenly my computer rebooted and I wasn't able to boot again... My computer starts (I have video, rog logo...) But when it supposed to appear the logging screen (background, circled profile pictures) it doesn't give any image and the computer restarts...
This happens 2 times, and the third one it boot on recovery mode.

I tested all my hardware and it is ok (memtest for 5 hours no errors, official Adata soft says my M.2 it's fine 99% healthy, chkdsk a good).

So.. I thought that it was software problem. Clean Windows install, it starts fine but when I install Radeon drivers the computer reboots at 60% and the problem start all over again (no video when it supposed to show login screen and reboots).
If I boot in safe mode and uninstall Radeon drivers, I'm able to boot again, but I can't use my computer with generic drivers... I mean, I can browse the web and stuff but if I open a game I have 2fps.

Most weird: it is an old GPU using legacy drivers. So I can't roll back an update or something like that, I've used this driver version for like a year without problems, with the same OS (I have all Windows update off). And I tried installing 20H1 and same thing.

Specs: ROG Steix B550-F with Ryzen 5 5600X, 16GB RAM, Adata Falcon M.2 and a Corsair CX650. GPU: Radeon R7 370 4GB.

TL;DR: I can use my computer with generic drivers. If I install AMD drivers it reboots and never boots again. Normal video until login screen, then black screen and reboot.
Can't be a driver problem cause I use the same driver and Windows I used 1 year without problems (legacy drivers, and I don't update windows).

Solution
Driver installs power profiles and usually when this issue happens is because there's something wrong with the card unable to handle power states anymore and generic driver doesn't ramp up clocks. It's possible you could try underclock the card but getting to that stage being able to do so without crashing might prove impossible.

Could try second pcie slot hoping something changes indicating another problem.

Can you borrow another gpu for testing?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Driver installs power profiles and usually when this issue happens is because there's something wrong with the card unable to handle power states anymore and generic driver doesn't ramp up clocks. It's possible you could try underclock the card but getting to that stage being able to do so without crashing might prove impossible.

Could try second pcie slot hoping something changes indicating another problem.

Can you borrow another gpu for testing?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS