Windows XP Drops Below 40%, Windows 8 Passes 1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Windows XP is hard to beat but I think Windows 7 is a better OS...Windows 8 on the other hand...I will wait for SP1 or maybe SP2...or maybe just windows 9...

drbaltazar

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
at the pace its going they should grab about 10 to 15% of market share!no surprise really !this os was targeted at xp and again xp yelled :NO TY!and i got to say i agree!check me!i can have a lot of techno from ms,donnybrooks,dx11,remote differential compression,64 bit ,tessalation.etc etc etc and all of those are useless because they arent being used!its all nice and good to have new stuff but only if it is being used!its like having a bugati veron in a school zone!ya good for doyoulookgood.com but not used at all!

drbaltazar

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
xp still said no to this os !so we can expect this os to grab about 12 to 14 % market share.so xp isnt going anywhere ,it will pretty much still be number 2 on the planet in 4 years!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Corps wont usually touch the OS until its at sp1 as for the consumers its not har dto predict this would happen as MS didnt listen to all the complaints about the default ui...

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I doubt any OS will have as long as reign as Windows XP did staying ontop for as long. I mean it's 11 years old and it just recently dropped out of first place in pc market share. I guess by Oct 2020 we will see if Windows 7 has a reign as long as Windows XP does but with mounting competition from companies like google and it's Chrome OS it's going to be a lot harder for Windows 7 have the same large market share Windows XP had in that amount of time span. As for Windows 8 I don't see it coming close to Windows 7 in market share in the next 3 to 4 years. Windows 7 is the goldilocks of OSes right now andunless MS comes out with a great OS after Windows 8 then i don't see that changing anytime soon.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I like windows 7, it is the best windows ever, period. Switched all my XP machines to 7 in 2010 and never look at. The driver support, the usability, the snappiness and being extremely stable(still gets blue screen of death once in a blue moon, gives myself a pat on the back for forcing out the blue screen :)

One of my machine got windows 8 and I like it too.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I love windows 7 as well.. Very hard to beat it.. Nice and stable.. gives good usability to. I never really used the aero features but still nice..

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I work in a Fortune 100 company in IT. We are in the process of rolling Windows 7 to all of our computers. In March of 2013 we will have an image of Windows 8 Enterprise available and will begin testing to roll that out.

Companies are hitting Windows 8 faster than the transition from XP to 7. IF you were in the process of transitioning to 7 or already on 7 there is little compatibility to iron out as 8 is just an optimized 7 with a launcher. Everything works.

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
This just in, Over time older OS' get phased out. Well.... Yeah. Still will be a standard for business. Explain to them why they would need to upgrade 2000 workstations when the old one works just fine and you compare 200 dollars systems to 700. I know i know...Eventually they will all be windows 7, but whatever. Common sense.

ive been using win7 since i got it on my laptop buy and i have to say i really like it. No need for a windows 8, especially since the only reason i used to upgrade my windows (game compatibility with DirectX) is now quite severly slowed down by how profitable are console titles.

G

I was looking at new computers over the over the thanksgiving holiday, but the new PC had the Mother of All Deal Killers windows 8 with no option to get the PC with windows 7 installed! M$ had better have that option soon, as they make money off of OS sales, but they will never make a single M$ off of me for that App Store/Crapware dupication of effort Metro/Modern UI! I will not have an App Store from M$ forced down my throat, on my third party PC hardware, I wish the people at the US Justice Department of Justice Antitrust division would do their job and stop this monopolistic land grab on hardware that M$ does not manufacture! People have the right on their third party hardware to an OS that helps them manage their PC, not an OS that trys to subjugate the users controll to the maker of the OS!

anonymuos

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
After XP sales were discontinued, 4 years later Windows 7 became the top most. Windows 7 is okay, no big problem but XP was the cream of the crop. It's downhill from here. In the world of Google, Apple and Facebook, Microsoft is irrelevant.

G

only reason I upgraded to windows 8 was the price was cheaper to go to 8 pro then upgrade from 7 home premium to pro. I recommend before it is too late - you can always disable the metro ui crap

Status
Not open for further replies.