Windows XP system hangs at login screen, Security Essential

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqadsam

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
For all those people still running XP and Microsoft Security Essential you must uninstall Security Essential or your computer will crash!!

If you have not yet done this and have the little red house in the bottom right of your screen beware!!

If you have lost access to your computer and it freezes at the log in screen your will need to push and hold the power switch until the computer turns off.

Not turn it back on and tap the F8 button and select to boot into safe mode.

Login with admin account click Start in the bottom left of your screen
Then click Control Panel (if you see Switch to Classic View on the blue area on the left please click on this)
You should now dbl click on the Administrative Tools
Under this new screen please dbl click on the Services icon
On the list that appears please find Microsoft Antimalware Service.

Now dbl click on this service and in the middle you will see Startup Type click on the drop down and change it to Disabled now click the Stop followed by the OK

Restart your computer and login as normal. Then go to the Control Panel and Add and Remove programs and select Microsoft Security Essential, select and click remove then uninstall and finish.

Your system will be back to normal.

Thanks Microsoft for this little bomb!!!

Your problem lies elsewhere. While it is true that updating Security Essentials to the latest version will cause it to hound you ceaselessly about end-of-support, Security Essentials still performs its essential functions as it always has. I have several XP installations, some in VM's, some on bare metal, all running Security Essentials, and all of them run just fine.

aqadsam

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
I had a lot , more than 10 computer today suddenly stop working or crash, when restarted you cannot login and system hangs.

This is to help if anyone else get stuck and thinks it is a Virus.

This solve it for me after a lot of playing, systems pass all virus checks.

mgrinfosys

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Aqadsam is right. I have had this happen today on at least 6 machines running XP. This is more than the icon just turning red and warning us that XP is past its retirement date - the machine essentially locks up until you kill MSE. So far, I have only seen this happen on versions 2.0.657.0 and 4.5.216.0 of MSE and I was able to replace both of these with either version 2.1.1116.0 or 4.4.304.0 and the problem goes away. Let's share what we learn here as many of us still want to run XP with MSE if possible since this combo should still have some life left in it yet...

AITD

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
You don't have to uninstall the Microsoft Security Essentials program. It was a bad definition / scan engine update and they released a fix already this morning. Update your MSE definition files, reboot, and you should be fine. If you can't update with the MSE program itself hit the Windows Update Catalog and search on 1.171.64.0

Had this issue on a bunch of Win XP systems this morning for one of my customers. Definition update 1.171.64.0 seems to have fixed the issue for Microsoft Security Essentials running on Windows XP systems. I downloaded it via the Windows Update Catalog site and then pulled out the

X86-all-am_delta_01c5765ad7d884b780031a7c2f72fc4c30b14094.exe

to apply to my 32-bit XP systems and the error was resolved.

rayne0080

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Thanks aqadsam,

Your solution has allowed me to get a dozen or so computers back up an running.
Thanks for posting.. Any thoughts on a replacement for MSE until all of our systems are upgraded to WIN 7 PRO?

IDKAU

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

This is exactly what I ran into, and this method fixed it. I downloaded the 1.171.84.0 patch though, and that fixed it just the same.

AJC46

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
thank you this has enabled me to get back into XP this machine posting on was one of the machines effected by this.

sadly this means i will now need AV software that to ensure protection until i can find the cash and time to move to win 7 (because 8 is just blah)

seriously though between XP support ending and the latest hilariousness around 8.1 i really wonder what Microsoft can do to restore faith in the window's brand.

tcexperts

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
The problem is with Microsoft Security Essentials - you need to uninstall it.
If you can't uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials, you will need to start the PC in the safe mode.
When in the Safe mode, run MSCONFIG.EXE and uncheck mssecess, located in the "Startup" tab.
Also, uncheck Microsoft Antimalware Service in the "Services" tab.
After you save the settings and restart your PC, you should uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials.
Keep in mind your PC will be unprotected, so you should install a new Antivirus program.

tcexperts

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Also, I recommend AVG free antivirus - you can google "AVG free cnet" to find a trusted download site.
You can also apply the fix recommended above, but who knows what Microsoft will do tomorrow or next month.
I'm also concerned about hackers finding a XP vulnerability that might be missed by any antivirus.
I guess we will need to be upgrading to Windows 7 sooner than planned....

x-VoodooKing-x

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
I'm a Sys Admin in a training school and this little bomb made my day a horrible one. Students were stuck on the login screen and had to wait about 5 minutes before the computer resumed working as per normal. Then the error message appeared and trainers got confused and thought the PC wasn't working.

And disabling the service doesn't help because a red bar appears saying that Security Essentials service is turned off, click here to turn it on again. Clicking it will still turn the service on despite being disabled.

I've had to uninstall MSE and install AVG free for more than 60 machines because of this.

cryx

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
found a batch removal - start in "safe mode", run the batch, restart system, install a new antivirus (I've instald clamav)

----------SCRIPT BAT-----------------------
cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Security Client"
TASKKILL /f /im MsMpEng.exe
TASKKILL /f /im msseces.exe
TASKKILL /f /im MpCmdRun.exe
net stop MsMpSvc
sc delete MsMpSvc
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\MsMpSvc" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Client" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run\MSC" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\4C677A77F01DD614880F352F9DCD9D3B" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\4D880477777087D409D44E533B815F2D" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Security Client" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{774088D4-0777-4D78-904D-E435B318F5D2}" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{77A776C4-D10F-416D-88F0-53F2D9DCD9B3}" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\UpgradeCodes\1F69ACF0D1CF2B7418F292F0E05EC20B" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\UpgradeCodes\11BB99F8B7FD53D4398442FBBAEF050F" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\UpgradeCodes\26D13F39948E1D546B0106B5539504D9" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\4C677A77F01DD614880F352F9DCD9D3B" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\4D880477777087D409D44E533B815F2D" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes\11BB99F8B7FD53D4398442FBBAEF050F" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes\1F69ACF0D1CF2B7418F292F0E05EC20B" /f
takeown /f "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware" /a /r
takeown /f "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Client" /a /r
takeown /f "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Security Client" /a /r
REM Delete the MSE folders.
rmdir /s /q "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware"
rmdir /s /q "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Client"
rmdir /s /q "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Security Client"
REM Stop the WMI and its dependency services
sc stop sharedaccess
sc stop mpssvc
sc stop wscsvc
sc stop iphlpsvc
sc stop winmgmt
REM Delete the Repository folder.
rmdir /s /q "C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository"
sc stop
PAUSE
EXIT
--------------------END SCRIPT--------------------------

enjoy :)

nadzz

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
Same problem last night. What I eventually did,
- go to safe mode.
- deselect all services
- select only microsoft services
- save and reboot
fixed for me.
- then installed windows defender and scanned.

DieGkol

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
This might be odd. But just leave the computer on the Welcome Sceen or desktop.... 95% of ours eventually did boot. It takes 10 minutes to 1 hour depending on PCs specs and number of programs to load. Do not try a repair or restore, you are only going to add to your misery. Then uninstall Security essentials. Some might pop up with an error again due to 'half' uninstall on some PCs. There is an MS Fixit to uninstall it. Find a suitable AV replacement. Hope it helps.

C64c

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
I've had the same problem today with 3 XP machines running security esstentials. 1 XP machine I replaced as I thought the machine was failing due to age. But no, 2 others did the exact same thing. You <redacted by moderator> Microsoft!

fbax

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
Alternate solution works for me...

Boot into safe mode; login as Admin. Disable Security Essentials service.
Reboot; login as Admin; Open MSE and check/download updates.
Enable MSE sevice. All is good!

paoach

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

Thank you very much for your report and solution:)
I had exacly the same problem, 3 pc winxp sp3 with mse intalled, connected to a private lan, suddenly hangs at next reboot just after windows credential validation then at user profile loading windows hangs with no errors, the mouse arrow still working but no action allowed even ctrl alt canc doesn't work; I was wondering about having into system a virus with high network diffusion capability, so I just try to stop diffusion by disconnecting all host from lan, then by scanning the suspected pc hdd with a antivirus scanner I did not found any virus therad. I have also checked all running process and registry entry with some tools like process explorer and hijack msinfo32 and I was trying to stop mse by removing the loading registry key, I also tried to uninstall mse from application uninstall but as you say, the uninstall application ask to run windows in normal mode and not into safe mode; finally I discover your post and I figure out that the way is to disable the mse service:)

Ps The lan have 6pc winxp sp3 three of them had the issue all with mse installed, and 1 domain server based on win2000server

Thank you again for your post.

Dazza Gee

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014

I have installed Windows Defender on my Windows XP and it is working fine, but I have noticed that my version of Defender is a much earlier version than those installed on friends Windows 7 computers. My version of Windows Defender is 1.1.1593.0 and the Engine Version is 1.1.10502.0 (the Definition Version is 1.173.291.0). I seem to recall that the version of Defender on friends computers is 6. ... so I'm not sure if this really matters. It is updating to the latest virus definitions ok, and running scheduled scans so I guess all is well.

And tomorrow I have 2 friends Windows XP computers with MSE to fix.... Now I know what to do :)

Dazza Gee

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014

Armed with the various suggestions to fix this problem, today I very quickly repaired 2 computers with the same issue - both were running Windows XP and Microsoft Security Essentials and were freezing on start up.

I started the computers in Safe Mode (F8), manually started Microsoft Security Essentials, updated the latest virus definition in MSE, and then did a normal restart - problem solved.

Clearly this was in fact a bad virus definitions update, and updating to a newer definition (while in Safe Mode) fixed the problem.

Because of the misleading warnings telling the user that MSE was not switched on (because of support having ended), I uninstalled MSE and installed Windows Defender.

knightowl82

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Thank you,thank you,thank you for this solution. I figured I wasn't the only one having this issue. You saved me from going out to get a new desktop at least for a little while. Is there any AV programs you would recommend to replace MSE for the short term? Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.