Windows XP To Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-unit1111

Titan
As of 8 April 2014, Microsoft has completely discontinued support for Windows XP. If you are torn between upgrading to Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1, this thread will serve as a guide to help you through the upgrading process. Anything beyond the frequently asked questions, this thread will remain open for anyone to ask anything about the upgrade process. However please keep this civil and on topic or it will be locked.

1. Will my existing device(s) work with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1?

While it is virtually impossible to list all devices that can work with WIndows 8 / 8.1, Microsoft has created a compatibility chart to better explain what devices will work on the Windows 8 operating system: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home?Language=en-US

2. What are the minimum requirements for Windows 8 / 8.1?

These are the minimum requirements direct from Microsoft:

PROCESSOR: Minimum 1 GHz or better with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2 )
RAM: Minimum 1GB of RAM (32-bit version) or 2GB RAM (64-bit version)
HD: Minimum 16GB of HD space (32-bit version) or 20GB (64-bit version)
GRAPHICS CARD: Direct X 9 compatible with WWDM Driver
Optical Drive or USB ISO file required for installation

3. I don't have an optical drive on my laptop or desktop and want to install Windows 8 from an ISO file. What do I do?

As long as the file you downloaded has been legally obtained (from a legitimate source such as Microsoft or one of its' OEM partners like Digital River), you can install your operating system from a large USB flash drive using the guide provided here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/habibh/archive/2011/09/14/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-8-developer-preview.aspx

4. I have completed installation of Windows 8 from the OEM or Windows 8 installation disc. Why can't I upgrade to Windows 8.1?

Windows 8.1 provides an enhanced feature suite over Windows 8 including the return of the start menu button. Once installation of Windows 8 has finished on your laptop or desktop, run system update from the control panel and install *ALL* updates when asked. Once your system installs update patch KB2919442 for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Once that patch has been installed, the update to Windows 8.1 will appear in the Microsoft App Store. To check and see what the latest update installed is, these are the steps you take:

1. Control Panel
2. Windows Update
3. View Update History

It will then list all of the software updates for Windows 8 that have been performed since the installation.

Reactions: samueltarcin999

Daviddteo

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
you should edit that the pc must support pae, sse2, nx. unless your pc dont support one of them, the pc display error 0x00005D when booting

g-unit1111

Titan

The link to Microsoft's website that I provided clearly explains this scenario.

pjckmen

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Very interesting post. really informative. of all the blogs I have read on the same topic, this one is actually enlightening.

Jacob123Micheal

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
In order to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 8.1, you need Windows 8.1 DVD and perform clean installation. Also, you have to look for system requirements to check compatibility. Further, back up your data before upgrading. Now, follow the simple steps to upgrade to Windows 8.1:

Step 1: Insert the DVD of Windows 8.1 into your PC and shutdown. Then restart your PC.
Step 2: You need to press any key to boot from the DVD.
Step 3: In case, you restart your computer and your current version of Windows starts then you need to go to a boot menu. If still the old Step 4: Windows version is starting then wait until Windows asks you to sign in, shutdown completely and then restart the PC again.
Step 5: Before installing Windows 8.1, you have to select a language, time and currency format and a keyboard or input method.
Step 6: Now, select how much space you want to shrink.
Step 7: After completing the shrink task, right-click on unallocated partition and select “New Simple Volume”. Go to “New Simple Volume” wizard and then format the new partition in NTFS and provide it a volume label like “Windows 8”.
Step 8: Installation task may take a bit long from 30 minutes to 3 hours with high-speed Internet connection.
Step 9: Click “Install Windows”.
Step 10: Enter your product key on “Enter the product key to activate Windows” page.
Step 11: Click “I accept the license terms” and then click “Next”.
Step 12: Click “Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)” on the page of “Which type of installation do you want?”
Step 13: Now, click “Drive options (advanced)” on “Where do you want to install Windows?” page. Also, click the partition and formatting option you want and then follow the instructions.
Step 14: When formatting is finished, click “Next”.
Step 15: Then follow the instructions to finish installing Windows.
Step 16: After installation gets finished, it will ask you to choose settings.

Thanks
Easytechy

janishughes

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

Hello
I have done the above. Had to go to boot menu and change the order so that always boots from disc. Now have several problems.
1. Am stuck on the splash screen ( just discovered that's what it's called) as mouse not working
2. How do I change it so it no longer boots from the disc?
Thanks
janis
cancel the above - got it

fcabanski

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
This is the problem I have. I created the bootable USB for win 8.1 and selected it as the default boot drive. "Boot from USB" appears. But then it boots into Win XP.

I tried using the Win 8.1 DVD. Boot from DVD. It still boots to Win XP.

It will not begin the Win 8.1 install.

missAimee

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014

Did you resolve this? I'm having the same problem with the 8.1 dvd.

Gaming_Preformance

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
Some people like to stay with windows 7 because it is a the software that get's the closest to Windows XP. Also they "can't work" sometimes with Windows 8/8.1 If i was you i would choose between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 and not pick the Windows 8. the only real reason they added a Windows 8.1 is because Windows 8 had gaps and leaks in of there program and there software.

So al what i just said short: You better choose Windowns 7 if you want a "newer version" of Windows XP. Or you choose Windows 8.1 if you stand open to a new sort of software (wich is in my opinion easier to work with).

DON'T BUY WINDOWS 8 AND TRY TO UPDATE IT. You better buy Windows 8.1

(if you wanna know more about it just ask me ;) )

Gaming_Preformance

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

there are no more or less features in windows 8 or 8.1. You just need to search them in a other way.

Gaming_Preformance

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

there are no more or less features in windows 8 or 8.1. You just need to search them in a other way.

Railhound

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014

I think you misunderstood me. My message is intended to say that Windows 7 has more features than Windows 8 or 8.1. That is to say that both Windows 8 and 8.1 are inferior to Windows 7. My recommendation to anyone who is considering these operation systems is to choose Windows 7.

Once Windows 7 is gone unless Microsoft returns the features to Windows 8 that was in Windows 7 in my humble opinion it will be the beginning of the end of Windows as the dominate operating system. Couple this with the marketing scam of Office 365 and look out the competitors are offering a much better product.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes your primary drive will be affected by the install, but Windows 8 will only install into the directory that you specify during installation. Any other hard drives you have connected to your system will not be affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.