Windows XP: Windows cannot find etc...

If I am using the machine with an account that is "Limited," I get the
message "Windows cannot find etc..." When I changed the account to
"Administrator" the problem disappeared. I was told not to make use of the
computer as an administrator, so I have created another account which I use,
and it is of the limited type. It is this account that generates the error
message. What do you think the problem is? I have SP-2 on Windows XP-Pro.
[The executable I am using in this case happens to be an older program from
the NT era, but it works fine for the administrator!] Thanks for any
suggestions...

Fawzi.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Fawzi wrote:

> If I am using the machine with an account that is "Limited," I get the
> message "Windows cannot find etc..." When I changed the account to
> "Administrator" the problem disappeared. I was told not to make use of the
> computer as an administrator, so I have created another account which I use,
> and it is of the limited type. It is this account that generates the error
> message. What do you think the problem is? I have SP-2 on Windows XP-Pro.
> [The executable I am using in this case happens to be an older program from
> the NT era, but it works fine for the administrator!] Thanks for any
> suggestions...
>
> Fawzi.

Some older programs will only run in an administrator account. On
option from the limited account is to use the "runas" command. From
help and support for Runas:

To start a program as an administrator

1. In Windows Explorer, click the program executable file that you want
to open.

2. Press SHIFT and hold, right-click the program icon, and then click
Run as.

3. To log on using an Administrator account, click The following user.

4. In User name and Password, type the Administrator account name and
password that you want to use.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Kraze

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2005

Make your account a Power User instead

--
~*Kim*~

MCP/MCSA/MCSE
The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?\>

"Fawzi" <emad@eng.umd.edu> wrote in message
> If I am using the machine with an account that is "Limited," I get the
> message "Windows cannot find etc..." When I changed the account to
> "Administrator" the problem disappeared. I was told not to make use of
> the computer as an administrator, so I have created another account which
> I use, and it is of the limited type. It is this account that generates
> the error message. What do you think the problem is? I have SP-2 on
> Windows XP-Pro. [The executable I am using in this case happens to be an
> older program from the NT era, but it works fine for the administrator!]
> Thanks for any suggestions...
>
> Fawzi.

In windows XP-pro there are only two types of users, limited and admin.
There is no "power" user! In the account type dialog box, MS states that
for older programs, sometimes one has to go to the administrator type for
the programs to work. This is the case here. Is there a way around this?
Thanks.

Fawzi

"KrazE" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Make your account a Power User instead
>
> --
> ~*Kim*~
>
> MCP/MCSA/MCSE
> The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?\>
>

> "Fawzi" <emad@eng.umd.edu> wrote in message
>> If I am using the machine with an account that is "Limited," I get the
>> message "Windows cannot find etc..." When I changed the account to
>> "Administrator" the problem disappeared. I was told not to make use of
>> the computer as an administrator, so I have created another account which
>> I use, and it is of the limited type. It is this account that generates
>> the error message. What do you think the problem is? I have SP-2 on
>> Windows XP-Pro. [The executable I am using in this case happens to be an
>> older program from the NT era, but it works fine for the administrator!]
>> Thanks for any suggestions...
>>
>> Fawzi.

The is a difference between using THE existing account named Administrator, or creating an
administrator account. It is solid advice NOT to use the original Administrator account,
because you might need to use it to fix problems. Create a NEW computer administrator
account with your name. Problem solved. How: Control Panel/User Accounts/Create a new
account, then name the account, then opt for computer administrator. Then create the
account. If someone does not want you to have administrative privileges for a specific
reason, then disregard the above.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"Fawzi" <emad@eng.umd.edu> wrote in message news:OfybpHUdFHA.1288@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> If I am using the machine with an account that is "Limited," I get the
> message "Windows cannot find etc..." When I changed the account to
> "Administrator" the problem disappeared. I was told not to make use of the
> computer as an administrator, so I have created another account which I use,
> and it is of the limited type. It is this account that generates the error
> message. What do you think the problem is? I have SP-2 on Windows XP-Pro.
> [The executable I am using in this case happens to be an older program from
> the NT era, but it works fine for the administrator!] Thanks for any
> suggestions...
>
> Fawzi.

Hi,

Start/run "control userpasswords2"

On the Users tab, click on your account, then on properties. You can change
it to a power user here. You must be logged into another account with admin
privileges to make the change.

As to the program problems, while logged in as administrator access the
permissions on that program folder and set the user account to full control.
That should remedy the problem of running the program as a limited user. You
may need to disable 'simple file sharing' in order to access the permissions
on the security tab of the folder properties.

More on running software in WinXP:
http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> In windows XP-pro there are only two types of users, limited and admin.
> There is no "power" user! In the account type dialog box, MS states that
> for older programs, sometimes one has to go to the administrator type for
> the programs to work. This is the case here. Is there a way around this?
> Thanks.
>
> Fawzi
>
> "KrazE" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Make your account a Power User instead
>>
>> --
>> ~*Kim*~
>>
>> MCP/MCSA/MCSE
>> The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?\>
>>

>> "Fawzi" <emad@eng.umd.edu> wrote in message
>>> If I am using the machine with an account that is "Limited," I get the
>>> message "Windows cannot find etc..." When I changed the account to
>>> "Administrator" the problem disappeared. I was told not to make use of
>>> the computer as an administrator, so I have created another account
>>> which I use, and it is of the limited type. It is this account that
>>> generates the error message. What do you think the problem is? I have
>>> SP-2 on Windows XP-Pro. [The executable I am using in this case happens
>>> to be an older program from the NT era, but it works fine for the
>>> administrator!] Thanks for any suggestions...
>>>
>>> Fawzi.

Hi Rick. Your "method" to change to power user worked, and now the program
runs fine. However, a minor problem is that now the account does not say
"Power User" it says "Unknown Account Type." Also, how do I get to disable
'simple file sharing?' Please excuse my less than desired knowledge in this
area, and thanks to all you guys for your expertise... Fawzi.

> Hi,
>
> Start/run "control userpasswords2"
>
> On the Users tab, click on your account, then on properties. You can
> change it to a power user here. You must be logged into another account
> with admin privileges to make the change.
>
> As to the program problems, while logged in as administrator access the
> permissions on that program folder and set the user account to full
> control. That should remedy the problem of running the program as a
> limited user. You may need to disable 'simple file sharing' in order to
> access the permissions on the security tab of the folder properties.
>
> More on running software in WinXP:
> http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Fawzi" <emad@eng.umd.edu> wrote in message
>> In windows XP-pro there are only two types of users, limited and admin.
>> There is no "power" user! In the account type dialog box, MS states that
>> for older programs, sometimes one has to go to the administrator type for
>> the programs to work. This is the case here. Is there a way around
>> this? Thanks.
>>
>> Fawzi
>>
>> "KrazE" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Make your account a Power User instead
>>>
>>> --
>>> ~*Kim*~
>>>
>>> MCP/MCSA/MCSE
>>> The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?\>
>>>

>>> "Fawzi" <emad@eng.umd.edu> wrote in message

Tim

Rock wrote:
> Fawzi wrote:
>
>> If I am using the machine with an account that is "Limited," I get the
>> message "Windows cannot find etc..." When I changed the account to
>> "Administrator" the problem disappeared. I was told not to make use
>> of the computer as an administrator, so I have created another account
>> which I use, and it is of the limited type. It is this account that
>> generates the error message. What do you think the problem is? I
>> have SP-2 on Windows XP-Pro. [The executable I am using in this case
>> happens to be an older program from the NT era, but it works fine for
>> the administrator!] Thanks for any suggestions...
>>
>> Fawzi.
>>

> Some older programs will only run in an administrator account. On
> option from the limited account is to use the "runas" command. From
> help and support for Runas:
>
> To start a program as an administrator
>
> 1. In Windows Explorer, click the program executable file that you want
> to open.
>
> 2. Press SHIFT and hold, right-click the program icon, and then click
> Run as.
>
> 3. To log on using an Administrator account, click The following user.
>
> 4. In User name and Password, type the Administrator account name and
> password that you want to use.

Hi Rock

The "Run as..." item is in the menu even if you don't press and hold
SHIFT. So does holding SHIFT cause Run as to behave differently?

This seems very un-user-friendly to me.

Hi,

1) That's normal since it isn't a defined type.

2) Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, scroll to the bottom of the list.

--

> Hi Rick. Your "method" to change to power user worked, and now the
> program runs fine. However, a minor problem is that now the account does
> not say "Power User" it says "Unknown Account Type." Also, how do I get
> to disable 'simple file sharing?' Please excuse my less than desired
> knowledge in this area, and thanks to all you guys for your expertise...
> Fawzi.

>> Hi,
>>
>> Start/run "control userpasswords2"
>>
>> On the Users tab, click on your account, then on properties. You can
>> change it to a power user here. You must be logged into another account
>> with admin privileges to make the change.
>>
>> As to the program problems, while logged in as administrator access the
>> permissions on that program folder and set the user account to full
>> control. That should remedy the problem of running the program as a
>> limited user. You may need to disable 'simple file sharing' in order to
>> access the permissions on the security tab of the folder properties.
>>
>> More on running software in WinXP:
>> http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Fawzi" <emad@eng.umd.edu> wrote in message
>>> In windows XP-pro there are only two types of users, limited and admin.
>>> There is no "power" user! In the account type dialog box, MS states
>>> that for older programs, sometimes one has to go to the administrator
>>> type for the programs to work. This is the case here. Is there a way
>>> around this? Thanks.
>>>
>>> Fawzi
>>>
>>> "KrazE" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

On some items it's there without shift, on others shift needs to be pressed (like cpl, not namespace extensions, in control panel).

"Tim" <user@example.net> wrote in message news:3hnrg7Fhu73dU1@individual.net...
> Rock wrote:
>> Fawzi wrote:
>>
>>> If I am using the machine with an account that is "Limited," I get the
>>> message "Windows cannot find etc..." When I changed the account to
>>> "Administrator" the problem disappeared. I was told not to make use
>>> of the computer as an administrator, so I have created another account
>>> which I use, and it is of the limited type. It is this account that
>>> generates the error message. What do you think the problem is? I
>>> have SP-2 on Windows XP-Pro. [The executable I am using in this case
>>> happens to be an older program from the NT era, but it works fine for
>>> the administrator!] Thanks for any suggestions...
>>>
>>> Fawzi.
>>>

>> Some older programs will only run in an administrator account. On
>> option from the limited account is to use the "runas" command. From
>> help and support for Runas:
>>
>> To start a program as an administrator
>>
>> 1. In Windows Explorer, click the program executable file that you want
>> to open.
>>
>> 2. Press SHIFT and hold, right-click the program icon, and then click
>> Run as.
>>
>> 3. To log on using an Administrator account, click The following user.
>>
>> 4. In User name and Password, type the Administrator account name and
>> password that you want to use.
>>
> Hi Rock
>
> The "Run as..." item is in the menu even if you don't press and hold
> SHIFT. So does holding SHIFT cause Run as to behave differently?
>
> This seems very un-user-friendly to me.

XP's user thingy has not heard of power user therefore can't call it anything. In Folder Options.