Windows7 and Vista no longer update with High CPU 'svhost.exe (netsvcs)'

paul296

Honorable
Nov 29, 2014
I have a Windows 7 PC, 1 Vista PC and a Vista Laptop all legal and none of them will update as also 'svhost.exe (netsvcs)' which is W/update continuously runs the CPU + 50% until I stop the service. Windows update just keeps checking for days and no error messages given.

I have tried every fix it and suggestion I can find with same results.
I have reverted to cleaner clone installs and same result.
I have done clean installs and same. Seems to happen when the new Windows updater gets installed.

All told I have spent weeks on this and when it happened to W7 I thought it may be a MS conspiracy to upgrade to W10 until I found others with the same problem on W7 back in 2011 so I'm not the only one for I've read hundreds of posts. 3 PC's all with the same problem.

The last fix it type I found that I haven't come across before is called 'wu10.diagcab' but it errors on trying to run it with the following (even on a clean non updated install as I also tried in safe mode and console as admin):
A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting.
WindowsUpdateDiagnostic
Error Code: 0x80070002
Context: Restricted

Any ideas?

Solution
Really, you should be updating to Windows 10 anyway, it's not that bad. Definitely get rid of Vista. Microsoft is doing some pretty shady stuff updating everyones PCs to Windows 10 without them knowing. Then again, that class action probably got their attention.

I've never really come across this myself, but if you do clean installs (of windows 7 ew), and you are sure your network interface is fine, I would say it would be Microsoft's problem for a bit. Either just jump on the Windows 10 train, or wait and see if the update servers will work a bit later in the week.

But for goodness sake get rid of Vista

Roryiscool

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Really, you should be updating to Windows 10 anyway, it's not that bad. Definitely get rid of Vista. Microsoft is doing some pretty shady stuff updating everyones PCs to Windows 10 without them knowing. Then again, that class action probably got their attention.

I've never really come across this myself, but if you do clean installs (of windows 7 ew), and you are sure your network interface is fine, I would say it would be Microsoft's problem for a bit. Either just jump on the Windows 10 train, or wait and see if the update servers will work a bit later in the week.

But for goodness sake get rid of Vista

Solution