Windows7 easy mode edition

federalagents

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
So here is my dream scenario. I do a fresh install of windows 7. Then i install all of my apps and codecs that i want. Once i have it configured exactly the way i want, i use a program to convert my installaltion into an iso that fits onto a dvd or dual layer dvd. Now, whenever a client wants a new computer, all i do is pop in that dvd, install and enter his license code. No more need to download, execute and click next for 2 hours. This install would be exactly like the one i set up beforehand.
What i need is a program that does this. Open source is a requirement. I know i could swim through google, find a list of programs that does all this and then slowly weed them out till i find one that is decent. But it would be great if someone who does this task often could share how they do it with me, saving me hours/days of mind numbing labor. Any input will be appreciated. :bounce:

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
not going to happen, once all updates, programs are installed its gonna be bigger than a singe DVD, your better to take an image of your HDD using norton ghost, acronis true image or any other back tool and put this image on a usb hdd whihc has enough room to take this image.

But not a good idea to take this image and but it onto a machine with different hardware it will cause alot of problems.

federalagents

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I appreciate your help, but when you purchase a new computer from best buy or walmart, they dont have just straight up windows on it. They typically have many (junk) other programs installed. And i know they arnt paying people to configure each and every machine by hand. So if anyone has experience with how this is done or can suggest something i am open to it.

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
they would using imaging software to push images to the computer over the network or push the image on to the HDD, there are alot of software packages used, i use one in work called altiris rapid deploy, it can be used with USB hdds and NAS servers where images could be stored on.

im not sure on opensource apps on this i dont know but im sure they are there.

Your best bet is to go on a Microsoft MCP on windows 7 which will show you all you need to know on how to installing managing and configuring this OS.