Wintel Tablets Could Cost Up to $900

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]It costs more to put it all in a smaller package, it always had. In addition, Microsoft has released hardware requirements for windows 8 tablets, and when you put everything together, it's not "dirt cheap." How many netbooks need accelerometers, constant passive cooling, touch input, and a smaller design (such as 7")?[/citation]

Earlier you said it was about performance. Now its about size. What's next?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
$900 for a "Microsoft' tablet?

Someone tell Redmond that they are not Apple.
Apple, as 'bad' as the company may be, gets away with it as they have a 'status'.
Micro$oft is more the Hyundai of the computer World whereas Apple would be the 'Audi' (an overpriced VW) or maybe a Cadillac (seeing the quality issues they sometimes have).

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I don't think that it's overpriced. Tom's recently did a review of the Samsung Series 7 Slate (12", Win7, Core i5 1.6-2.4Ghz, 4GB Ram, 64/128GB SSd, 5hrs battery) and it totally ran circles around all of the other tablets. Additionally, Win8 is lighter weight than Win7 (using less ram and being quicker on the boot). So, I'd be willing to pay for the performance.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]$900 for a "Microsoft' tablet?Someone tell Redmond that they are not Apple.Apple, as 'bad' as the company may be, gets away with it as they have a 'status'.Micro$oft is more the Hyundai of the computer World whereas Apple would be the 'Audi' (an overpriced VW) or maybe a Cadillac (seeing the quality issues they sometimes have).[/citation]

Yes but simply put this proposed microsoft "tablet" has all the features of a desktop. Not so with the iPad. Their features are not the same, so you can't just compare the price points.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Earlier you said it was about performance. Now its about size. What's next?[/citation]

If you read carefully, you'll notice I never said the word "performance" nor did I intend to infer such a thing. I am talking about software and features. The tablet is a fully-fledged windows machine. This means that you can do anything on it (supposedly) that you can do on your desktop, hardware permitting. No, you can't play high-end games on it. Yes, you can run applications such as Adobe CS5 or other "real" applications (not the dumbed-down tablet or smartphone versions of such applications). Essentially, you can start a video project on your desktop, transfer it to your windows tablet, and not lose any functionality on the portable platform. Coupled with an x86 atom CPU, it's no powerhouse, but you can run regular x86 programs with minimum changes (perhaps just add a touch interface if needed). This opens up the prospect of running almost any windows application from the last 15 years on your tablet, something the enterprise market in particular would like.

It's all about the features packed into such a small tablet, it has been that since my first comment.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well I'm just going to disagree. You can already most of those things on an ARM tablet, right down to running MS Office programs. The number of people who do video projects is a tiny fraction of the market. Making a special tablet for them might make some sense (although I doubt many of them really want an atom computer to work on). But when you are talking about the public at large, this project is all fail. 95 percent of the people who want a tablet are just going to get whatever Ipad is out by then (which will have a processor and GPU that is better than an Atom by then I wager).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]lucky015[/nom]This is News? It has been the prediction of those of us not simply mesmerized by overpriced pointless tech for a long time.Tablets are beginning to gain less and less ground by the day, They are merely an accessory with no particularly different use.The iPad has made it this far solely because of its novelty and fan-boy attitude of their customer base, Android tablets are picking up a little as a cheaper alternative because of the free OS and the low cost tech designs from the likes of Qualcomm, T.I, Samsung, nVIDIA and a few others."Wintel" tablets sacrifice the best thing tablets have going for them so far, They are a low cost device, Increased functionality will help for some customers but not the majority.[/citation]

you never used a tablet... im just assumeing.
ipad got to where it is because its decent and makes computers easy for people not willing to learn a laptop, and i have to admit, touch screen beats the crap out of a laptop touchpad or nipple.

[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]considering the fact that this is essentially a fully-fledged windows machine in tablet form, I can't just say it'll be too expensive. I can see some users simply needing that sort of functionality on the road, perhaps where even a laptop is a bit too bulky for the job. However, I cannot see an average consumer buying such an itemAnd most people forget that even at the $300 price point, what you get in a tablet is still inferior to what you can get in a really cheap laptop. Tablets are a novelty item at the moment, as very few people have an absolute NEED for them. What can a tablet do that a smartphone can't? Now what's left that a laptop can't do? Very little is left, if anything. By the time you hit $600, a well-informed consumer can usually buy a halfway decent laptop, and at $1,000 they can buy a very powerful laptop capable of replacing a desktop as their everyday machine. It makes no financial sense for most people to even OWN a tablet. Yet here we are in this crazy market...[/citation]

the food service industry in general could use tablets, probably better than a pen paper method.
any place where there is alot of information that needs to be used while moveing, and a laptop isnt an option
home use where a laptop just doesnt have the space necessary

granted those are a few... i believe we will see laptops with reversible screens make a come back soon, get the functionality of a tablet, with the positives of a laptop.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
HOLY CRAP!!! Are all you posters retarded!!? Have you been living under a rock?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/XE700T1A-A01US

Read the specs! These tablets are NOT coming with an Atom CPU inside. These aren't under powered tablets like the Kindle Fire that can barely run Angry Birds well. These stomp the iPad in specs and power. They will have the 2nd gen Intel Core i3 and i5 CPU's inside.

Tom's even ran a benchmark article about the Samsung Slate.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tablet-pc-samsung-windows-slate,3079.html

You guys should at least try to know something about something before you start typing about something. Sure, maybe later on they may come with some newer Atom CPU's to fill in the low price segment after the more powerful Slates fill up that market, but they will be priced about the same as a netbook in the $200-$300 range.

or-ex

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
I'm not an AMD fan, but I hope they come in the market too, so hopefully the prices will drop, and there will be no monopoly.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
@southernshark: This device is specifically for people who actually DO understand the benefits of having a windows OS yet still want a tablet form factor. Just because something is available to everyone doesn't mean its for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.