WinXP taking several mins to start up WIFI and other items

peterh337

Honorable
May 5, 2016
Hello All,

I have a Lenovo X230 laptop. A very nice machine, 4 core i7. It is running XP due to some apps which need XP and don't run under a VM.

A few months after I got it in 2013, I found that it would not connect to wifi for about 4 mins after startup. Ethernet worked fine but not wifi. Also some other bits don't run until this "magic time point" e.g. most control panel applets won't open, etc.

I have been living with it since but it is annoying.

Can anyone suggest where I could start looking?

I am a hardware/software developer and have built many PCs, so I know a fair bit. The obvious suspicion is a timeout somewhere and I have seen this sort of thing with USB devices when they went faulty.

The HD is an 80GB SSD, there is no AV software, nothing obvious in Startup (and I have disabled all nonessentials there), nothing under the process list in perf monitor (the System process is showing 99% of CPU time all the time there is no wifi so the CPU is not doing something intensive) etc.

I think it is waiting for something to happen and eventually it times out.

I would much appreciate any suggestions.

peterh337

Honorable
May 5, 2016
DeadRAM's suggestion seems to have worked!

I left IP to automatic (DHCP) as default but for DNS I put 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are the widely used google ones. There is some evidence that google are throttling the response times on these, but they still work.

Kittle - many thanks for that too. I had already been through that stuff over the last 3 years.