Question Wire desktop cannot find wireless laptop on the network

Demoniacs

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019
I have a desktop and 2 laptops. The two laptop can share the files since they are on the same Wi-Fi network. However my desktop does not see either of the laptop when connected via ethernet. I borrowed a USB Wi-Fi receiver and turn the desktop Wi-Fi and started to see the network and can now file transfer. Even some mobile apps that uses the network (RDP as an example) does not allow me to connect if the desktop is using ethernet (same thing if I have the laptop connected via ethernet). This happened after changing the gateway (I'm not really sure ).

Are there any settings that I can change in the gateway so wired devices can be seen on the network? Any ideas aside from making my desktop wireless (I have CCTV connected to the gateway as well and more or less I'm having difficulty discovering it via wired connection).

If you had asked how do I limit wifi devices from accessing the ethernet devices on the router I would have told you it is not possible. There are setting that you can limit 2 wifi devices from seeing each other but ethernet/ethernet and ethernet/wifi it almost impossible to limit with a consumer grade router.

I suspect it is something in the firewall setting on the PC.

Can you ping the IP address between the devices. Can you mount the share via the IP address rather than using a name.

Demoniacs

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019
Can you ping the IP address between the devices. Can you mount the share via the IP address rather than using a name.

Ping results:

Wired desktop:
Laptop - fail
CCTV - fail

Wi-Fi desktop:
Laptop - success
CCTV - success

From the looks of this, it seems that the firewall does not allow me to see the network using wired connection.

I will assume you only have 1 router and all the ip addresses are in the same subnet.

This is extremely strange most times you can ping stuff even if things like network sharing fail.

There is a option to temporarily suspend the firewall on the desktop. See if you can ping with that disabled.

Demoniacs

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019
I will assume you only have 1 router and all the ip addresses are in the same subnet.

This is extremely strange most times you can ping stuff even if things like network sharing fail.

There is a option to temporarily suspend the firewall on the desktop. See if you can ping with that disabled.

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes just one modem/router combo (gateway) and all on the same subnet. Disabling firewall did not help at all.

I would agree that this is very strange. I'm thinking this is a hardware problem and/or gateway issue.

eldridgep2

Commendable
Dec 24, 2020
Are you sure everything is on the same subnet? ;)

This sounds like you have a VLAN or zones issue whereby your wireless is in a different zone or VLAN and it is not trusted by the wired LAN so the router keeps the devices separate. I would expect to see this on a business class UTM device but it's unusual on a home device.

What model of router is it?

Demoniacs

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019
Are you sure everything is on the same subnet? ;)

This sounds like you have a VLAN or zones issue whereby your wireless is in a different zone or VLAN and it is not trusted by the wired LAN so the router keeps the devices separate. I would expect to see this on a business class UTM device but it's unusual on a home device.

What model of router is it?

Manufacturer: FiberHome
Product Class: HG6245D

I'm pretty sure they are on the same subnet. If you notice Main-Desktop are the wired and Wi-Fi IP addresses, the blank one is for the CCTV, and Lappy is the Laptop.

FYI - I have yet to test if the Laptop will be able to ping using ethernet. Should I test that first?

DHCP Clients List
IDHostnameIPHired TimeType
1​
Lappy​
192.168.254.106​
243837​
Dynamic​
3​
Main-Desktop​
192.168.254.107​
246743​
Dynamic​