Question Wired Keyboard and Mouse Stop Working - Windows 10

sdph536

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2015
I have an old Dell Studio that is running windows 10 ---

Ir has Windows 10 and SSD installed - to me it does what it needs to do but this darn mouse and keyboard stuff stopping working with no rhyme or reason is making me very frustrated.

Keyboard and Mouse are wired - NOT WIRELESS

• I cannot easily unplug and plug in the mouse/keyboard to get it going again... they are still lit up but they are dead basically and I have to do a hard reset.
  • USB selective suspend is disabled.
  • I checked the drivers for the keyboard and mouse and they are updated.
  • I checked to see if PC has KB4074588 and it does not.

I am not sure what else to do.... I can go days without the issue and then days where anytime I step away from the PC it stops working.
I can say when it is working it just does not just stop ... only when I walk away and the machine is idle or the screen is locked.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Model for your prebuilt Dell Studio? If it's a laptop, include the SKU and if it's a desktop counterpart, then include it's specs.

Also, which version of Windows 10 are you working with? Have you made sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?

sdph536

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2015
It is not a laptop and I don't have the SKU

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

I wouldn't know about the BIOS.

This issue didn't happen as soon as I loaded windows 10 - It had been working just fine after the W10 install - Just recently maybe in like the last 2 - 3 months this issue came to be.

I have tried different restore points and that does not solve the issue either.

sdph536

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2015
I noticed this evening that the mouse and keyboard locked up but then before I powered the PC down looking at the time it said 7:37 PM but when I was just about to power it down it was past 9:30pm - so apparently the entire screen/machine is locking up.

That said, could this then not be a MOUSE and KEYBOARD issue but something else ??

I just finished spending almost $1,000 for a new PC parts to build a new computer since this issue couldn't be resolved.

Any new thoughts or suggestions in light of this new information I am sharing?