Question Wired networking / router position

alasdairt

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
Hi. I'm foolishly going to try to explain this without the use of pictures. My house is on 3 floors. I'm trying to work out how best to wire key rooms for internet.

Room A : (study) : ground floor / on one side of the house / contains the eternal internet feed
Room B : (lounge) : ground floor / centrally located / say 5m from study
Room C : (another study) : 1st floor / other side of house from the ground floor study / where I work so needs a good internet connection :)

I have a Virgin Media hub plus various other routers at my disposal. I believe there are advantages of using the Virgin router in modem mode then a much better ASUS router to do the hard work / wifi

The easy option is to locate the ASUS router in A with the modem then wire from here to the other two rooms. However, I think wifi coverage would be better if a ran this out of Room B as it is in the middle of the house.

I'm thinking about having the Virgin modem in rm A then connected via 5m of cat 6 to the ASUS router in the lounge. Is this sensible and is there any way of doing this without running 3 cables between the 2 rooms? (one taking the feed from modem to router, one bringing the routed network connection back to Room A and another taking the same journey then continuing upstairs to Room C). I assume I cant have the web traffic going both directions down the cable from modem to router then use the virgin media hub to output the routed connection to other rooms?

Alternative would be to use the Virgin hub as modem & router then send wires out from this to the other two rooms. I could still put the ASUS router in the lounge for a central wifi source but leave the router work to the virgin hub.

I hope that makes sense. Any ideas? Thanks