[SOLVED] Wireless Access Point

May 6, 2020
I have an old actiontec V1000H router that I would like to make into a wireless access point. Have a ZTE smart hub as my incoming internet connection. Is this possible? If so what do I need to do? The 2 router are not going to be connected together via ethernet cable (wireless only). Thanks

Solution
So you want a box that lets you connect to a wifi souce via ethernet ?

That is called a client-bridge. Used to be really common for tv and game consoles that only had ethernet. Now days they sell them as "repeater" or "extenders". These also have the ability to take wifi in and send wifi out which you don't need but they also can run in simple client-bridge mode. They tend to be cheaper than the dedicated clinet-bridge devices for some reason.
If it was a access point it would be pretty easy. What you want is not a AP it is a repeater. The router needs a actual feature to do this. It either has it or does not. In some cases you can load third party firmware but generally anything that has a dsl modem in it is not supported with any third party firmware.

May 6, 2020
Thanks for the response. So what should I buy to do this. I have a camera dvr with no way of connecting it via ethernet cable to the internet router.

So you want a box that lets you connect to a wifi souce via ethernet ?

That is called a client-bridge. Used to be really common for tv and game consoles that only had ethernet. Now days they sell them as "repeater" or "extenders". These also have the ability to take wifi in and send wifi out which you don't need but they also can run in simple client-bridge mode. They tend to be cheaper than the dedicated clinet-bridge devices for some reason.

Solution