[SOLVED] Wireless AP with schedule

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello,

As explained in the title, I am looking for a wireless access point that has a schedulable SSID that turns on only during specific periods of the day. Flexibility of scheduling would also be nice, e.g. two hours on weekdays but four on the weekends. I am not looking for anything crazy, just a normal AP with that feature. My Internet connection is only 5 MB/s.

If you know models with such a feature please let me know. Looking it up on the Internet doesn't really bring anything up other than vendors like Netgear showing guides about said feature but doesn't really mention which models support it, it sure can't be all.

Thank you

Solution
Ubiquiti APs have the capability to have a wireless schedule. I don't know for sure if a 24/7 controller (a device running their controller software) is required or not. Some things the controller is required for configuration only. I don't use the wireless schedule, but I do have Ubiquiti APs.

kanewolf

Titan
Ubiquiti APs have the capability to have a wireless schedule. I don't know for sure if a 24/7 controller (a device running their controller software) is required or not. Some things the controller is required for configuration only. I don't use the wireless schedule, but I do have Ubiquiti APs.

Solution

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Ubiquiti APs are a bit pricey. I don't mind paying but for what I am looking for they are a bit excessive, There are APs around £20 I can find but they don't have the feature. Surely such a thing isn't technologically complicated to implement so I'd like to avoid buying expensive APs.

It may be a pain, but if nothing else an AP accesible by SSH and a command to disable the wireless interface would also work. I could use a Raspberry Pi with a script that sends SSH commands on a set schedule to do this. Now I've never actually done something like that, and not to mention that my Raspberry Pi 0 is very quirky (Wireless works for five days, and the doesn't for another five, until it starts working again) so i'd really prefer to avoid this method, but again, if nothing else...

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
I am sure it is but when it comes to wireless I only use it on a bare minimum so I really don't want to spend a lot on things I won't use - It's just a bit wasteful when I can get (Or hopefully can anyway) a basic one with the feature I am specifically looking at for far cheaper. Thank you very much for the suggestion though, I guess if nothing else I could go for it, but again at that price it would be my very last resort.