Wireless Charging Coming to Intel Ultrabooks, Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
A few companies showed their products at CES 2012. i remember one of them show how you can convert any mobile phones into wireless charging if you have an ultrabook by using a piece of metallic strip on the battery to transfer the charge.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Wireless charging is such a waste. It's not like you can walk around on the street and have your devices being charged. Your devices need to be in very close contact with the charging device at that point really how hard is it to plug in your device. It really seems like a waste of energy.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I came with a force of a THOUSAND RAINBOW SUNS!
It's like the Future, about which I have always dreamed of, is here now, at last.
Now I can truly say about myself that I live in the Future, in the 21-th Century.
Finally.
Up until now I always felt that something was amiss...but now, I can finally relax my mind on that issue.
Yes, we live in the Future, we live in the 21-th Century. Now I see it, finally.
More awesome things to come, this is only the beginning.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]mousseng[/nom]I'm not interested in wireless charging until it involves Tesla coils.[/citation]
Soon, my friend...soon.
They already can charge phones via conductive panels...Tesla coils are only the matter of time now.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]Wireless charging is such a waste. It's not like you can walk around on the street and have your devices being charged. Your devices need to be in very close contact with the charging device at that point really how hard is it to plug in your device. It really seems like a waste of energy.[/citation]
So we should wait until they perfect a long-range EPS grid that covers a whole town? No wait, cos then someone would bitch that a town isn't big enough and why not a whole state or country.

Just be pleased that someone is doing this at all, if you can't see the convenience of having a wireless charger built into - for example - a coffee table, a fireplace, a desk - then you clearly have no magnificence in your soul.

Nothing happens in the tech industry without a thousand excruciating increments, this is just one of them and it's still pretty big.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Nikola Tesla would be proud.[/citation]
Too soon to celebrate. We still need to build those giant electromagnetic conduction rods and learn how to transfer energy with electromagnetic waves WITHOUT hurting living beings...ya know...or else we'll just turn our planet into big microwave oven and roast ourselves in a matter of seconds.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Nikola Tesla would be proud.[/citation]

Actually he would more likely be horrified because he demonstrated his own working prototype 116 years ago... and the world by itself could have have implemented this technology on a global basis by 1929 with refinements/improvements.
Of course, Tesla died in poverty because he wanted to give the world free energy... which of course is the last thing the energy industry would want.

What you see today in use is sorely out of date and WAY overdue (on both accounts by roughly 60 to 100 years).
But that's what you get when you live in a profit based system.
Enjoy technological stagnation.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
we all know how much smartphone "service providers" hate when people tether their laptops and get internet through their phone. makes me feel thats why no ones excited. greeds getting ppl no where imo. more features and im more likely to buy. smartphone companies should hop on. tho i do have optimum online in ny and that stuff is fast. fre wifi.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I'm a bit confused, how on earth was energy supposed to be "free"?[/citation]
Well, the way how Tesla (probably) saw it: build a giant giant electromagnetic conduction rod-like tower, that would probably cover over half of the planet by the length of the wave of energy transmission, and that energy-transmitting tower would be powered by solar and wind energy. Here - you have an almost infinite engine that would transmit energy for centuries, but would cost absolutely nothing.
If I'm not mistaken, Tesla calculated that one such rod-like tower should be "Empire State Building" tall in the means of height, to successfully transmit energy to at least half of the planet, meaning that, all we need is to build only two buildings like that, to cover the entire planet. Nothing so impossible to do, huh? People already build hundreds of buildings that's waaaay taller than "Empire State Building", so, really, the only thing that's stopping our the bright future to become reality, is conglomerate energy-corporations hungry for money and control of everything. Sometimes I'm really ashamed of that I belong to human race. %((

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Well, the way how Tesla (probably) saw it: build a giant giant electromagnetic conduction rod-like tower, that would probably cover over half of the planet by the length of the wave of energy transmission, and that energy-transmitting tower would be powered by solar and wind energy. Here - you have an almost infinite engine that would transmit energy for centuries, but would cost absolutely nothing.If I'm not mistaken, Tesla calculated that one such rod-like tower should be "Empire State Building" tall in the means of height, to successfully transmit energy to at least half of the planet, meaning that, all we need is to build only two buildings like that, to cover the entire planet. Nothing so impossible to do, huh? People already build hundreds of buildings that's waaaay taller than "Empire State Building", so, really, the only thing that's stopping our the bright future to become reality, is conglomerate energy-corporations hungry for money and control of everything. Sometimes I'm really ashamed of that I belong to human race. %(([/citation]
Hmmm. I'm inclined to think that it's not going to be THIS simple. After all, you have to make that building, recover costs, maintain it, pay the staff that runs it, etc.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Hmmm. I'm inclined to think that it's not going to be THIS simple.[/citation]
Tesla did, and I believe in his ways.
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]After all, you have to make that building, recover costs, maintain it, pay the staff that runs it, etc.[/citation]
Alright, let's say one such building would cost 100+ millions of US$ to only build it, and another 500000$ each year to maintain it in perfect shape - it would still be waaaaaaay cheaper than the sum that planet's people spent on electricity bills every year, especially at such places like Las Vegas, Paris (Eiffel Tower eats a ton of electricity every hour, especially at night and during big holidays) or Tokyo.
Only once in, like what, 50~100 years? I think our planet can afford it without any problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.