Wireless connection not as fast as is should be

brettg

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Here's the situation:
In the same room in my apartment, my laptop speed tests at about 15k kbps, and my desktop at about 3k kbps both with "excellent" connections. My first thought was that it was my wireless adapter; So i asked my roommate to test his which returned about 15k kbps in his room which is farther from the router than mine. I asked to borrow his adapter and took it to my pc and tested it again at 3k kbps. So I have deduced that it is something going on with my PC. all USB ports are 2.0 (I have tried several) and there is no wireless phone interference. There is no setting in the BIOS to toggle USB 2.0 on or off, only USB on/off and Legacy USB on/off (set to off) so i can assume that all ports are USB 2.0. I have no idea what is going on and am very frustrated as it is a brand new computer. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

G

If you don't get an error message about a high speed USB device being plugged into a USB1 socket, then you probably have a working USB2 socket.

As an experiment you might try turning off wireless security and Denial of Service Attach protection in the router -- and any firewall in the PC.

Most speed issues come down to wireless reception/interference so I wouldn't dismiss those possibilities, though I appreciate your reasoning is sound.