Wireless mouse doesnt work with powered USB hub.

Sep 18, 2018
I recently decided to buy a powered USB hub on amazon to help manage my cables and have more ports. but whenever I plug anything into it, whether its a mouse or keyboard, I receive massive delays on input, 5-10 seconds of delay, renders anything I plug into it to be useless. Any reasons for this? It's USB 3.0 and plugged into a USB 3.0 port and the extra power is also plugged into the wall. Hub is only about 1.5ft away and under my desk. I've already tested the wireless and it works through the desk so that is not the problem. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Solution
That is a huge and abnormal delay. I suspect there's a problem among the device drivers involved. First, check with the Tech Support guys that made the mouse etc. and ask whether their product has any problems with a USB3 connection, instead of USB2. I'm thinking their drivers may expect to find it on the USB2 bus and take too much time to find its real location.

Next, try this method to get rid of the related device drivers and re-install them to force them to discover the real connection paths.

1. Go into Device Manager and delete the driver(s) for the mouse. Maybe this is called Remove This Device.
2. Then do the same for the USB3 hub device.
3. Shut down and disconnect both those devices. Now boot up so the system is forced to...
Sep 18, 2018
Its literally just the mouse though. Nothing else is plugged in.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That is a huge and abnormal delay. I suspect there's a problem among the device drivers involved. First, check with the Tech Support guys that made the mouse etc. and ask whether their product has any problems with a USB3 connection, instead of USB2. I'm thinking their drivers may expect to find it on the USB2 bus and take too much time to find its real location.

Next, try this method to get rid of the related device drivers and re-install them to force them to discover the real connection paths.

1. Go into Device Manager and delete the driver(s) for the mouse. Maybe this is called Remove This Device.
2. Then do the same for the USB3 hub device.
3. Shut down and disconnect both those devices. Now boot up so the system is forced to recognize that neither of them exists.
4. Shut down, re-connect only the USB3 Hub and its power supply, then boot up. The system should detect that the Hub has been added as a new device and re-install its driver(s).
5. Shut down again, and plug the mouse back into the Hub. Boot up, and the system should find the new mouse and re-install its driver.

Now, does that make any difference?

If that fixes the mouse problem but not the similar delays with the keyboard, try doing the same idea for it. That is, remove the keyboard driver but leave the Hub in place, boot up so it recognizes no keyboard exists, then shut down and re-attach and reboot so it finds the keyboard again and re-installs the driver.

Solution
Sep 18, 2018

I have tried all of this, I have another USb hub on the way and will keep you guys updated with the trouble shooting.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
We'll watch for updates. One small thought. I have a mouse which says in its instructions that it must be plugged into a USB port on the computer, and not through a USb hub. Somehow it has to do with the extra features of the mouse and the way the driver implements those. Any chance you have such a restriction on that device?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am not clear what you mean by "all of my mouse ports", but I suspect you have been using a mouse on USB ports. And now, suddenly all of them do not let the mouse work. The advice I gave above may apply, but the wrinkle here is that I would bet you have other items already plugged into your USB ports, right? So we need to take care of all of them.

Now, if you have, from time to time, moved the mouse or other items form one port to another, the USB system can end up confused. It's like it is trying to figure out where each item is when the history says that each USB port has many items with associated drivers. So the process is to remove all things connected to USB ports and force the machine to recognize there are NONE so it has NO drivers it needs to use. THEN you re-introduce them, one at a time and one to a port, so that the device drivers are re-loaded but only one to a port. Follow this sequences, slightly modified from my post of Sept 18. It assumes that you are NOT going to be using the 4-port Hub, and all the USB devices will each be plugged into its own port.

1. Go into Device Manager and delete the driver(s) for the each USB device. Maybe this is called Remove This Device. Do them ALL.
2. Shut down and disconnect all the USB devices. Now boot up so the system is forced to recognize that none of them exists.
3. Shut down, re-connect only the keyboard, then boot up. The system should detect that the keyboard has been added as a new device and re-install its driver(s).
4. Shut down again, and plug the mouse into a USB port. Boot up, and the system should find the new mouse and re-install its driver. At this point yous should have both the keyboard and the mouse working.
5. Repeat this process ONE item at a time: shut down, plug in a new device on a new port, and boot up to let it discover the new item and add its driver. Keep on going until all your USB devices are re-connected and working.
6. IF you actually do plan to use your Hub, treat it like any other USB device in this process. Do this step BEFORE plugging any devices into the USB hub. Just shut down, add it as one device, boot up and let its driver get loaded. AFTER that you can add items to the Hub, one at a time, as above.

Now, does that make any difference?