Wireless network connection not connected

Snapvhp

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
Hello,
My IBM Thinkpad's infrared port seems to be working but the icon on the task bar at the bottom says "Wireless Network Connection not connected." When I check the Network Connections on the Control Panel, "Local Area Connection" is disabled. The Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter is Enabled, but says Wireless Network Connection Not Connected.

G

The infrared port has nothing to do with networking.

Does Windows Wireless Connection detect any wireless networks ?

Snapvhp

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
The infrared port has nothing to do with networking.

Does Windows Wireless Connection detect any wireless networks ?
It says "No wireless networks found in range". We have a Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter on one of our PCs.

G

Unless the belkin is in ad hoc mode (and so is the wireless adapter in the Thinkpad) they won't detect each other.

The normal way to connect computers wirelessly (and to the internet presumably ?) is via a wireless router. Maybe you don't have one of those ?

Snapvhp

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
We have a Belkin Wireless G Router installed on one pc and the adapter on the other pc. The laptop worked fine until we went to a hotel, never got it to connect to internet. Now it won't work at home where we used it without connection problems.

Snapvhp

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
Unless the belkin is in ad hoc mode (and so is the wireless adapter in the Thinkpad) they won't detect each other.

The normal way to connect computers wirelessly (and to the internet presumably ?) is via a wireless router. Maybe you don't have one of those ?

We have a Belkin Wireless G Router installed on one pc and the adapter on the other pc. The laptop worked fine until we went to a hotel, never got it to connect to internet. Now it won't work at home where we used it without connection problems before.

G

From your description letting out details in dribs and drabs I'm slightly having to guess what your setup is.

The relevant questions seem to be:

If the laptop's wireless is detecting any wifi networks, check TCP/IP Properties. Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

Or re-run the Windows Networking Wizard.

However I slightly suspect that the issue is with wireless being disabled in the router or security being enabled in the router but not in the problem laptop.

This is simply checked by going into the router's setup screens and confirming that wireless is enabled and that SSID is being broadcast. Also turn off wireless security in the router temporarily. See router manual for how to access setup screens.