Wireless Network - Security

I just got DSL and am setting up a wireless network with a wireless router
and wireless cards (11g). I have firewalls on each machine as well as in the
router. Previously I had networked the machines with an ethernet hub and used
Netbeui for file sharing. With the wireless network what do I do? Do I still
use Netbeui or TCP/IP? Will the firewalls be enough to protect me if I use
TCP/IP?

Joe

The firewall protects you from the outside, but make sure you set up
encyrption - either WEP or WPA.
Otherwise, you're passing data unencrypted, and anyone within range can join
your network or snoop on your data.

Use TCP/IP, not NetBEUI, which is a broadcast (inefficient) protocol.

"Joe Geller" <JoeDB2@att.net> wrote in message
> I just got DSL and am setting up a wireless network with a wireless router
> and wireless cards (11g). I have firewalls on each machine as well as in
the
> router. Previously I had networked the machines with an ethernet hub and
used
> Netbeui for file sharing. With the wireless network what do I do? Do I
still
> use Netbeui or TCP/IP? Will the firewalls be enough to protect me if I use
> TCP/IP?
>
> Joe

Joe,

Also, *change the default system ID of the router*!! For Linksys equipment
it is, of all things, "linksys". That is in addition to taking Ed Neth's
advice about enabling WEP or WPA. WPA is preferred because it is supposed
to be "stronger".

I have a Linksys wireless router, wired to the main computer, a GW 700XL,
and wireless linking in the hamshack machine, also a GW and my notebook, a
GW 200X. They all work fairly well. Expect to coin a few expletives as you
try to get everything in sych, but keep at it and it'll eventually start
working!

Regards,

Turner