Wireless Networking Issues

burningpatch

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hi there, I need some help regarding my wireless network at home. Keep in mind the following things:
-I'm 20, living with my family of 5, and moving out isn't an option.
-At any one time, there's usually at minimum, 8 devices connected to the internet (between phones, computers, consoles), and changing that isn't an option either; I can't force my family not to use the internet.
-I have ADSL2+ internet, and my room is probably about 12-15 metres away from the modem (as a birds eye view).
-Connecting via Ethernet cable is not an option.
-My current modem is a Netgear DGN2200 N300 (which I've had for probably 3-4 years): http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/modem-routers/dgn2200.aspx?cid=gwmng
-If I was to purchase a new modem, this is the one I think I'd buy: http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/modem-routers/D6300.aspx?cid=gwmng

My problems mainly occur on my laptop only, where my laptop frequently (maybe once every 2 hours) will disconnect from the internet, and I sometimes restarting my computer doesn't help the issue. If I'm not disconnecting from the internet, my speeds fluctuate a lot, and my ping is quite high (when I'm playing League of Legends, I ping around 100, with very very frequent spikes up into the 1000's.

I don't seem to have much of an issue on my phone, which is right next to my laptop, which makes part of me think that the issue lies within my computer rather than anything else. I use a Lenovo E450 laptop, and I've updated every possible driver to do with networking, and everything is up to date. The network card in it is a Broadcom 802.11 one.

I don't just encounter these issues on games though; in some instances, it has taken me in excess of 30 seconds just to google search something, or to load facebook after clicking my bookmark, or needing to let a youtube video buffer for a long time, even in 360p, just so I can watch it. It is quite frankly unbearable.

So, my question is, firstly, whether I'm likely having an issue with my computer, rather than anything else, and if so, what I can do to rectify that? If it isn't likely an issue with my computer, will the modem change as suggested at the beginning of the post help?

Sorry for the long winded question; I just figured I'd give as much info as possible. If you need anything else to answer, let me know. Thanks in advance, Lachlan.

Solution
well, ADSL connections typically won't tax an n300 router; in fact you could be on an n150 router and still have bandwidth to spare.

It could be antena issues in your laptop, try using the laptop next to the router. if the connection issues vanish we know at least you're having range problems. If that's the case a wireless range extender like this http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/TL-WA850RE.html would probably help. just plug it in somewhere between your router and laptop. follow the instructions for setup. those devices work pretty well.
well, ADSL connections typically won't tax an n300 router; in fact you could be on an n150 router and still have bandwidth to spare.

It could be antena issues in your laptop, try using the laptop next to the router. if the connection issues vanish we know at least you're having range problems. If that's the case a wireless range extender like this http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/TL-WA850RE.html would probably help. just plug it in somewhere between your router and laptop. follow the instructions for setup. those devices work pretty well.

Solution

burningpatch

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Thanks heaps for the answer!
I know this measure is probably unreliable, but I'm consistently having 1 bar of internet strength on my laptop, which would align with that. I do get better quality internet when I move next to the modem, so maybe I'll consider that option then.
1. Will a range extender like that reduce the speeds I get?
2. Should I need to spend any more than that one you linked me?

well the one i linked is a n300 device, which matches your router. You can spend more on higher end stuff but it won't improve the performance over an n300 device.

Range extenders typically don't degrade speeds though sometimes they can add a little latency to the line, DSL is typically a low latency connection, so adding a little latancy shouldn't hurt too much. Other possible solutions include buying a wireless n300 usb nic, and using that in place of your laptop's wifi card. (you'd have to disable your laptops wifi card so your system only uses the new NIC). But i suspect 15 meters through walls is too much distance and is the real cause of your problem. a simple wireless range extender should resolve the issue.

TRENDING THREADS