[SOLVED] Wireless PC headphones with ability to balance L/R earphone volume

May 12, 2020
Hello all,

I am looking for wireless headphones, preferably not BT ones, that have capability to balance L/R volume (in windows is ok, doesnt have to be HW on the headphones themselves)

I am now in process of returning TurtleBeach Elite Atlas Aero, because they are unable to do so. What more, apparently a lot of wireless headphones are reckognized as single audio channel only.

I have a worse hearing in my right ear and I have to balance the volume. Somehow I cant understand how some producers think its ok to not balance volume. Its case also for Steel Series 7.

My budget is 150 EUR maximum (and am in europe)

Thank you very much for your recommendations.

Solution
I understand. Windows sends single channel digital audio stream via usb. The dac for the headsdset decodes this into the analogue stereo signal for the headphones.

Personally i would look for a dac with built in balancing. Get some headphones. Add a modmic if you don't already have a webcam you can use for a mic. This setup would work with all future computers, tv, smartphone etc....

The audiotechnia, while nice uses a 4 pole 3.5mm connector you plug into your laptop, soundcard, etc..... You would use a splitter cable to plug into a dedicated 3.5mm mic port and speaker out port. No external usb dac involved. This allows you to use your onboard sound which may or may not be good. An external usb dac would at least give you...

makkem

Distinguished
Yeah sorry it will not work with a usb transmitter,but a lot of HiFi wireless headphones such as some sennheisers connect via analogue cable and are very high quality.
Also note that If you have Realtek audio manager on your computer (most PCs do) then the balance can be adjusted from there.

gondo

Distinguished
Using a USB DAC such as the Behringer allows l/r balancing.

A PC headset comes with a cheap USB DAC of some sort that also supports a microphone, hense the term headset. You can however buy a separate USB DAC, and use a normal pair of headphones, wired or RF wireless. This solution of course doesn't come with a microphone so you need a seperate USB mic, webcam, clip on microphone of some sort.

The advantages of going seperate USB DAC and headphones is that you don't have a microphone stuck to the headset. You also have a regular pair of headphones you can use away from the PC for movies, music, smartphone, etc.... And depending on what you buy you should get better sound quality, comfort, and reliability using the separate headphones/dac. The only disadvantage is ease of use for computer gaming. A dedicated headset comes with software for Windows that is plug and play to give you virtual surround sound. With separate you need to configure a surround sound gaming option manually.

There is an option in windows sound settings to adjust L/R balancing. Doesn't this work with all headsets or audio devices?

May 12, 2020
Using a USB DAC such as the Behringer allows l/r balancing.

A PC headset comes with a cheap USB DAC of some sort that also supports a microphone, hense the term headset. You can however buy a separate USB DAC, and use a normal pair of headphones, wired or RF wireless. This solution of course doesn't come with a microphone so you need a seperate USB mic, webcam, clip on microphone of some sort.

The advantages of going seperate USB DAC and headphones is that you don't have a microphone stuck to the headset. You also have a regular pair of headphones you can use away from the PC for movies, music, smartphone, etc.... And depending on what you buy you should get better sound quality, comfort, and reliability using the separate headphones/dac. The only disadvantage is ease of use for computer gaming. A dedicated headset comes with software for Windows that is plug and play to give you virtual surround sound. With separate you need to configure a surround sound gaming option manually.

There is an option in windows sound settings to adjust L/R balancing. Doesn't this work with all headsets or audio devices?

THank you for nice overview and explanation.

Unfortunately, when I plugged my present (in process of return) headphones via the usb transmitter into PC, the option to balance volume was gone from the Windows.

Later, I have learned that a lot of Wireless headphones are using just a single channel to carry to signal and rest is virtualized. This was case with Turtle Beach and after asking, also with Steelseries.

Right now I am looking into PC headphones from Audiotechnica and based on the info from the manufacturer, they are proper stereo headphones with two channels for headphones and one channel for mic.

However, it would be nice to see this info from the manufacturers themselves, so I dont have to go and ask around or write to them. I dont think that unbalanced hearing is that a rarity.

gondo

Distinguished
I understand. Windows sends single channel digital audio stream via usb. The dac for the headsdset decodes this into the analogue stereo signal for the headphones.

Personally i would look for a dac with built in balancing. Get some headphones. Add a modmic if you don't already have a webcam you can use for a mic. This setup would work with all future computers, tv, smartphone etc....

The audiotechnia, while nice uses a 4 pole 3.5mm connector you plug into your laptop, soundcard, etc..... You would use a splitter cable to plug into a dedicated 3.5mm mic port and speaker out port. No external usb dac involved. This allows you to use your onboard sound which may or may not be good. An external usb dac would at least give you the headphone amp.

Last edited:
Solution

gondo

Distinguished
I actually own a USB DAC and some stereo headphones. I also use plugins like BOOM 3d, Razer surround, Dolby Headphone, etc... for virtual surround sound. I'll try it out after and see if I can balance the sound left/right before using an EQ of some sort before windows sends the audio signal out through USB. I don't see why not since windows performs all the EQ and spatial 3d before sending it no problem.

Maybe your solution is a simple as using a program like boom 3d and problem solved.