Question Wireless printer not responding after house move ?

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
I have a Canon MG2965 and all our devices such as laptops and desktops are wirelessly connected to it. For years it worked just fine until we recently moved.
All of sudden, none of our devices can print to it. All we get is a message stating 'printer does not respond'.

There is no physical damage on the printer. The light for the WIFI is on. No flashing lights whatsoever indicating there is something wrong.
We haven't made any changes in our settings. Troubleshoot can't detect anything either. I can't even print a test page. The printer itself is working fine which means there is no internal damage to the mechanics.
I have removed the printer from my laptop and tried to detect it again but nothing shows up. Even when I tried manually.

Possibly the WIFI receiver may be broken? Only I hear no rattling. Nothing, and as stated the WIFI light is on.

What could be wrong that all of a sudden it wont work?

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Okay, I think this requires more help.
My printer has no screen to go into settings. All i have are buttons for making copies, on/off and WIFI. Nothing else.

Also, when I select 'add printer', it searches but nothing comes up. Then I tried manually and it found it, set it all up but it comes again with the same issue as I mentioned above: printer not responding.

I'm a bit at a loss here what I can do.

Edit:
I have tried to install the drivers for it after I have looked up how to install my printer. Even when I selected the right network, it still states that it can't detect my printer. and I followed these steps as stated here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/wireless-printer-not-responding-after-house-move.3703435/

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
No one has an answer what is going on here? Can't be that from day to the other, it can't detect my printer.
That printer supports USB. Have you connected via USB ? Does Canon have control panel software available? That might help you get more information on the printer.
Have you tried doing a factory reset on the printer and starting over?

But your statement that your phone, as a direct connection, didn't work seems like a clue that maybe the WIFI on the printer has failed.

No one has an answer what is going on here? Can't be that from day to the other, it can't detect my printer.

Have you actually looked at the printer setup to make sure it's connected to your network? All we know is that it does not work. Print out a status page, it should show you the network status. And also can check your router status to see what devices are connected to get the IP of the printer.

Did you hook up the printer to your computer with USB as the manual @Ralston18 linked to? That printer must be programmed for your WiFi network via a USB cable using the IJ Network Tool.

Also, did you check the WiFi connection on your computers? If this is a new network you connected to. They may all have defaulted to Public settings rather than Private settings in Windows. Which will affect your ability to connect to network devices.

As for the network. Does your network have a default guest network or built in ISP hotspot? Many ISP supplied routers include a private and public network. If your devices are connected to the public network and not your private WiFi SSID. None of your devices will be able to connect to one another.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Did you hook up the printer to your computer with USB as the manual @Ralston18 linked to? That printer must be programmed for your WiFi network via a USB cable using the IJ Network Tool.

Also, did you check the WiFi connection on your computers? If this is a new network you connected to. They may all have defaulted to Public settings rather than Private settings in Windows. Which will affect your ability to connect to network devices.

As for the network. Does your network have a default guest network or built in ISP hotspot? Many ISP supplied routers include a private and public network. If your devices are connected to the public network and not your private WiFi SSID. None of your devices will be able to connect to one another.
No, no one of us had to connect our devices via USB as both our computers, including laptop detected the printer within seconds. Also, my wife and my desktop computers are in a different room than the printer due to space. And my wife has an Apple computer, who had no issues either to connect to the printer via WIFI before we moved.

Also, our settings are set to private since it also stated that if I choose public, we can't connect to our printer or other devices. Which is why we are both so confused why all of a sudden the printer can't be detected. The IJ tool can't detect the printer either.

Can't be that having a different internet provider, it can't detect anything anymore. Heck, my computer even detects my smart TV.