[SOLVED] wireless router with wifi-6 and 10Gbps ports

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
You slightly misunderstood jennifer post. That was referring to if you plug a 10g end device into a 1g port on say a switch. That connection between that device and the switch will negotitate to 1g.

The confusion comes in part because the data can pass between actual end devices can pass a different speeds. You only think there is a direct connection between the 2 end device. The switch is in the middle making things work.

Lets say you have 1 pc connected to the switch at 10g and a second device connected at 1g. The traffic will pass between the first pc and the switch at 10g. The buffer will be moved to the port going to the 1g device and sent at 1gbit. This works fine as long as the 10g device does not try to send...

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Ok I have the new router and set i went into the config of the old router, disabled dhcp and changed the IP address so it's on the same subnet of the new router. So if the new router has ip of 10.20.30.1, I changed the IP address of the old touter to 10.20.30.29. When i apply the changes, it says "please change your computer's ip address manually if lan ip subnet will be changed". I click ok and the old router reboots and then i can't access the router anymore. I tried using the new ip address, the old ip address and the device name. I'm forced to reset the router.

Maybe leave the dhcp active change the IP and then disable the DHCP.

What it is saying is change the IP on your pc. You would change the ip of your PC to 10.20.30.50 in your example. Some routers when you change the IP will force change the ip on your PC. They do this with DHCP
Be very sure you get the subnet mask correct even though almost all consumer routers are set to use 255.255.255.0

The problem you are trying to avoid is your new router uses 192.168.1.1. and the old router uses 192.168.1.1. The duplicate IP will cause issues.

You very technically can leave the old ip set to the wrong IP. If the new router uses 192.168.0.1 and the old router uses 192.168.1.1 you can just ignore it. Problem is the new router will assign your PC 192.168.0.x and you will not be able to access the old router to configure it. You can of course manually set your ip on your to the other subnet.

It is very strange that changing the IP would be so hard.

This is extremely strange. Changing the IP is generally a very trivial thing to do. I assume if you connect to your main router everything works fine with the IP set to that fixed value. Not if you are really using 10.x.x.x ip addresses some small number of routers do not support that.

If everything works with that IP when you connect to your new router. If you then plug the old router into the new one and then plug your PC into the old router it still works ? It should the old router is acting as a simple switch. You should also be able to connect to the old router wifi radio and still access the internet via the cable between them. If this is the case it is running properly you just can't configure it.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Ok i reset the old router. Went back in it and there is an AP mode which i enabled. Now i lost connection and it has the default ip address of 192.168.1.1. I plugged it into the new router and my wifi device can see the AP now which has its default wifi name of netgear14. Everything works. So now I'm going to try resetting it again so i can set the wifi name to be the same name of the main wifi router so when the device is far away, it will automatically connect to the AP which is closer, then transfer the data to the main router via the network cable. If this doesnt work, then I'll reset everything again and just use the default netgear14 name or change ittosomething other than the main wifi router name.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Actually, after resetting the old router, i tried what you said. First change the ip, apply, then disable dhcp, apply, and now I'm still able to get in the router. Should i enable the AP mode again?

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Ok i left the AP mode off, ip is different, dhcp disabled and wifi name is the same as that of the main router. So now my question is, once i have the AP conndcted to the final place and my wife is outside and connected to our wifi, how do i know if its connected to the AP first or directly to the main router?

You might be able to tell by looking at the mac address if you can find it. It really doesn't matter a lot if your device is connecting to the strongest signal that is the one you want to use. The delay between the devices via the ethernet cable can not be really measured.

In general if you stop and restart the wifi on a end device it "should" connect to the strongest signal. End devices are so stupid sometimes but wifi was never really designed with roaming and mulitple radio sources in mind.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
ok i put the AP in place, connected to the main router via cable. I went outside where my wife wasn't able to get a connection and now it can connected and seems pretty fast. wow, I can't believe its done. it took way longer than it should have. but thanks a lot for all your help, I really appreciate the time and effort you took to help me.